PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Weapon ideas.

Kunaiechi
2017-11-25, 07:58 AM
Hey guys, so I'may DM'ing a session soon and plan to have some npcs join my party of four (mainly a life cleric because the party has no healer at all, and we're playing Tomb Of Annihilation) I had an idea for the spell spiritual weapon, and think it'd be cool for my cleric to cast it, and another character wield it, specifically our rogue. (I prefer my NPCS not to have the biggest role in the game)
How would you guys rule it? It'd be a bit strong if it added the normal cleric modifier's and the users attacking stat, but should I allow it if they come up with the idea to hold it?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-25, 08:42 AM
Pretty sure they won't come up with the idea to hold it.
You're better off blessing the weapon they're already wielding with something like Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon sorta thing.

Spiritual Weapon shouldn't be too big of an issue. It's Spirit Guardians that you wanna watch out with.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-25, 09:53 AM
Spiritual Weapon isn't, despite its name, an actual, physical weapon. It's weapon-shaped spell effect. There's nothing for the rogue to wield. You may as well ask to wield Flaming Sphere. If a spell creates real weapon, it says so in the description, like Shadow Blade. Flame Blade isn't real weapon either, despite its looks and any sense of logic.

Naanomi
2017-11-25, 10:35 AM
XGtE has a ‘holy weapon’ spell that might do the trick

Toofey
2017-11-25, 10:39 AM
it sounds like this will have both of them give up opportunities to do what they do themselves better in order to do this. the Cleric kind of needs SW (for all intents and purposes it's the Cleric classes 2nd attack) and if the rogue were going to use a single weapon they could choose to use both hands on a long sword.

I get where you're going but there are spells that will have the same effect plot wise (magical weapon has already been mentioned, you could also have your god grant a spell you make up at 2nd level)

Throne12
2017-11-25, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, so I'may DM'ing a session soon and plan to have some npcs join my party of four (mainly a life cleric because the party has no healer at all, and we're playing Tomb Of Annihilation) I had an idea for the spell spiritual weapon, and think it'd be cool for my cleric to cast it, and another character wield it, specifically our rogue. (I prefer my NPCS not to have the biggest role in the game)
How would you guys rule it? It'd be a bit strong if it added the normal cleric modifier's and the users attacking stat, but should I allow it if they come up with the idea to hold it?

Don't bring in a npc to tag along. Everyone has used the same excuse. The party don't have a healer, there are only 2 or 3 pc's, ect, ect. Your the DM you have more stuff to do. If you want to play a character ask someone else to DM. If you are worried about the party not having healing. Offer more healing pots, a staff of healing, have then take more short rest.

But plz plz don't be the DM with a DMPC.

Naanomi
2017-11-25, 02:43 PM
Don't bring in a npc to tag along. Everyone has used the same excuse. The party don't have a healer, there are only 2 or 3 pc's, ect, ect. Your the DM you have more stuff to do. If you want to play a character ask someone else to DM. If you are worried about the party not having healing. Offer more healing pots, a staff of healing, have then take more short rest.

The exception (often) being if the players seek out the help. It is a much different picture if the other players start inviting/hiring help to come along than if one ‘just happens to show up’

LordEntrails
2017-11-25, 02:49 PM
Spiritual Weapon isn't, despite its name, an actual, physical weapon....

Agreed, and it can not (edit!) be wielded. It is a magical manifestation of the deity's wrath.

Don't bring in a npc to tag along. ...
Agreed. Just because they don't have a cleric or a rogue does not mean they need them. There are other ways to heal and to deal with locks and traps.

Even if they do not have magical healing, this means they have chosen other abilities and they (if they play correctly) won't need magical healing as much as a party that has a cleric. And backgrounds can give the theives' tools proficiency, and even then you can still deal with traps and locks other ways (avoid or crowbar).

Let the players play their party, with all it's strengths and weaknesses. It will be fun!

samcifer
2017-11-26, 12:26 AM
I still like my idea of a middle-aged, heavyset African American mother who's tired of your sass and coming to give you a whoppin'. She attacks with a series of slaps equal to the pts. of damage, 1 dmg. per slap.

Slipperychicken
2017-11-26, 01:20 AM
You could rule it to work kind of like magic stone, where the wielder may use it make attacks with the caster's attack stat instead of his own. I guess the benefit there is that a very unskilled minion could make competent weapon attacks, and the caster doesn't need to spend a bonus action to keep using the spiritual weapon.

You could also consider casting magic weapon or elemental weapon.

spartan_ah
2017-11-26, 04:23 AM
My lore bard had a Piano that would drop on the opponent's head...

The Shadowdove
2017-11-26, 07:10 AM
Enemies can't pass through it can they? As if it were an enemy square.

If this is correct, just play a party of clerics and use the spiritual weapons as a wall.

Cast spells, shoot bows, stab with reach weapons from safety. All the while you can use your bonus action to attack with the spiritual weapon.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-26, 07:36 PM
Enemies can't pass through it can they? As if it were an enemy square.

If this is correct, just play a party of clerics and use the spiritual weapons as a wall.

Cast spells, shoot bows, stab with reach weapons from safety. All the while you can use your bonus action to attack with the spiritual weapon.

Dang. It doesn't. That would have been awesome.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/723554793440956417