PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder/3.5 character audit request. 12 feats at level 5.

Rerednaw
2017-11-25, 12:45 PM
I gave everyone a bonus feat, 32 point buy and 3 traits.
The player is claiming all these extra feats come from traits...and linked the list of campaign traits, instead of which ones he has.
I'm not saying he's wrong but I cannot find out where these came from.

So sorry I didnt see this sooner. The are additional due to traits. Working on cathering links now.

Help please and thanks!

Yarlinimus Onothian
Elf Sorcerer Level 5
Chaotic Neutral
Init 7; Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception 3
DEFENSE
AC 13; Touch 13; Flat-Footed 10
HP 27; Wounds —; Non-Lethal —
Fort 1 ; Ref 4 ; Will 7
DR —; Immune Sleep; Resist —; SR —
OFFENSE
Speed 30 feet;
Spell-Like Abilities
Arcane Bond 0/0
Spells Known/Prepared
2nd—Knock, Mirror Image, Invisibility
1st—Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Charm Person, Shield, Identify
0th—Detect Magic, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand
STATISTICS
Str 11, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 19
Base Atk +2; CMB 2

Feats Combat Casting, Still spell, Quicken Spell, Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus, Spell Focus, Silent Spell, Persuasive, Eschew Materials
Skills Appraise 12, Bluff 12, Craft 7, Diplomacy 9 (2), Intimidate 14 (2), Knowledge Arcana 13, Knowledge Nature 7, Perception 3, Profession 4, Spellcraft 14, Use Magic Device 12
Languages Elven, Common,Goblin
SQ Low-Light Vision, Metamagic Adept (Ex)
Gear Simple Weapon: Quarterstaff, Clothing: Scholar's Outfit, Ranged weapon: Light Crossbow, ammo: Bolts (10), acid (2), scrolls of comprehend languages (2), scroll of detect secret doors, scroll of glitterdust, scrolls of identify (2), scroll of mount, scroll of rope trick, thunderstone, wand of mage armor (16 charges), Backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, candles (5), chalk (5), flint and steel, ink, inkpen, ioun torch, journal, magnifying glass, mess kit, scroll box, silk rope (50 ft.), spell component pouch, trail rations (5 days), waterskin; Money 3 gp

EldritchWeaver
2017-11-25, 01:24 PM
I'm not aware of traits (which are supposed to be worth half a feat) giving one feat, not to mention more than one at once. It would have helped if you at least mentioned the names of the traits, so people could have checked. BTW, a player not using the resources you are giving him, instead using the PRD or even 3PP without your permission needs to talked about this anyhow. But maybe this is a misunderstanding of the rules. Checking the stats for how many feats (and which) the character might gain due to race and class, I noticed you didn't mention the bloodline. But "Metamagic Adept" is part of the Arcane Bloodline, which provides access to these feats:

Bonus Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcana]), Spell Focus, Still Spell.

All these feats are taken, too:

Feats Combat Casting, Still spell, Quicken Spell, Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus, Spell Focus, Silent Spell, Persuasive, Eschew Materials

The issue is that you only get to choose some of the feats (3 overall) and the first comes online at level 7 (note that skill focus only applies to a specific skill, which is missing on the sheet). So the sorcerer has only 3 feats, assuming you follow the PF chassis. Which ironically means, that after stripping the bonus feats the char is one feat short.

Goaty14
2017-11-26, 03:55 PM
If we're talking about 3.5 then your player is trying to use flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (99.99...% of DMs allow up to 2 flaws). Traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) give measly bonuses to one thing and against another

Pathfinder has flaws (aka drawbacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/drawbacks/)) too, but these do NOT grant extra feats, instead granting extra traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/) on a 1:1 basis. The player could also spend a feat to get 2 traits, but I don't think that it works in reverse\
(All of these links are the SRD or PFSRD, so I think that's legal)

PF also grants feats every odd level IIRC, so he'd be at 6 normal feats right now.

emeraldstreak
2017-11-26, 04:12 PM
Major drawbacks are a third-party thing that allows an extra feat.

Calthropstu
2017-11-26, 08:57 PM
Going just by what it says here, he has 5 extra feats as I see zero flaws, traits or drawbacks listed.

PF allows up to 2 traits normally. Traits are not feats. Those are feats.

If you said "Anything PF or 3.5 is allowed" during character creation, it allows for some whacky chicanery because technically both the trait/flaw systems in either can be exploited to gain some serious advantages. But not seeing anything like that, I can only go by what is written there. And as written, 5 extra feats.

Edit: 6 extra. Thought he was human.

Rerednaw
2017-11-27, 04:39 PM
Yes I listed his entire sheet that he provided. He does not list flaws or traits so I was confused.

I think he confused bloodline access as granting the feats instead of providing access. That makes sense I'll have a talk with him thanks!