PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin 7 / Hexblade 1 re-roll

Legimus
2017-11-25, 07:18 PM
My character had an unfortunate accident in our campaign and I'm planning on re-rolling. He was a GWF Oath of the Ancients paladin, and I decided I really enjoyed the feel of the paladin and want to keep being the party tank. But I also made him before I really understood how to make a character, so his skills and stats were a bit clumsy. Xanathar's has presented me a great opportunity to try out a new build. I'll be entering at level 8. I am planning on a tiefling Oath of Conquest paladin with a 1 level dip into Hexblade. Using a mix of cantrips and Aura of Conquest, I'm trying to build a sword-and-board tank that is adept at locking enemies down.

STR: 15 (+1 ASI)
DEX: 10
CON: 14
INT: 9
WIS: 10
CHA: 18 (+1 ASI)

With plate armor and a shield I'll have a comfortable 20 AC. I can't decide on Dueling or Defense fighting style, but I'm leaning towards Dueling. Hex Warrior means I never have to worry about STR again. I'll take Cause Fear (for synergy with my aura) and Shield for my warlock spells, and then Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast for cantrips. I realized that because of its scaling, it'll be better for me to just spam Booming Blade instead of making two attacks each turn, which will help keep my targets from going after the rest of the party.

My main questions are regarding progression. This has the potential to be a fairly long campaign, so is it worth it to sink 2 or 3 more levels into warlock for a couple invocations and Pact of the Blade? Also, are there any feats I should be particularly interested in, rather than just sinking my remaining points into CON? Infernal Constitution, Inspiring Leader, Sentinel, Shield Master, and Tough are all on my radar but I'm really not sure how to prioritize. For reference, our party has only one other front-liner (a barbarian).

That being said, this is my first time trying to optimize a tank, so feedback and advice are greatly appreciated for any part of this. The only parts I'm really committed to are (a) Oath of Conquest, (b) tiefling, and (c) using a shield. Thanks!

EDIT: spelling

Sudsboy
2017-11-25, 07:35 PM
Sounds fun. You might consider a few levels of Sorc to add quicken + Booming Blade for more damage, or quicken + Blade Ward for more survivability. This also gives you more spell levels to smite with. Sentinel sounds like a must. More levels of warlock gives you bigger spell slots to smite with that recharge on a short rest. Shadow Blade with the quicken + Booming Blade gives you 3 attacks with great damage.