PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Monster Escape DC + Hex

PeteNutButter
2017-11-25, 11:08 PM
Simple question, but I'm drawing a blank as to where I might find a clear answer:

If I hex a monster's strength would that affect the escape DC to get out of the monster's grapple?

I feel like it should give -5 as passive scores take a -5 when disadvantage is applied (PHB pg 175). The escape DC is calculated as effectively a passive athletics, but is never actually called a passive check (MM pg 11).

Is this an omission? Or is it pretty clearly RAW that hex on strength, or disadvantage from another source should apply -5 to escape DCs?

Naanomi
2017-11-25, 11:13 PM
Not by RAW, but it would be a reasonable interpretation at some tables

SharkForce
2017-11-25, 11:32 PM
if it is calculated as a passive athletics check, then even if it isn't a passive athletics check, it should be calculated the same way. so, presuming that's how it works (i haven't looked it up to check), the DC should be 5 whether it is a passive athletics check or not.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-26, 12:00 AM
if it is calculated as a passive athletics check, then even if it isn't a passive athletics check, it should be calculated the same way. so, presuming that's how it works (i haven't looked it up to check), the DC should be 5 whether it is a passive athletics check or not.

See that's the thing. It's calculated just like a passive ability check, it is for all intents and purposes a passive ability check, but it doesn't call it that. It does say, "If no escape DC is given, assume the DC is 10 + the monster's Strength (Athletics) modifier."

SharkForce
2017-11-26, 12:16 AM
See that's the thing. It's calculated just like a passive ability check, it is for all intents and purposes a passive ability check, but it doesn't call it that. It does say, "If no escape DC is given, assume the DC is 10 + the monster's Strength (Athletics) modifier."

ah. then i would go with no. also, i'm not entirely certain they even actually use that, since i understand it often doesn't work out like that when you check their DCs :P

PeteNutButter
2017-11-26, 12:41 AM
ah. then i would go with no. also, i'm not entirely certain they even actually use that, since i understand it often doesn't work out like that when you check their DCs :P

Yeah, JC and MM admitted to tweaking the numbers for making DCs more appropriate to the CR, either higher or lower.