PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Muscle Wizard 5e?

mchawi
2017-11-26, 10:09 AM
Hello,
I have decided to make a wizard build that focuses on melee. I'm doing this because when rolling stats, I rolled 3 18's.. I thought this would be the best time to make a muscle wizard.
I was wondering what you guys think of it? My character is level 6. You can use any book( no homebrew but unearthed arcana is ok). And i would prefer it to be mostly levels in wizard if u think of any ideas(if their not i would still love to hear them). Also, Obviously it's stupid and there is better ways to make a melee caster but I don't care about being viable :).
I was thinking about being a mountain dwarf, so im profiecient in some armor and weapons. I was also thinking about getting some abjuration (like shield and/or stoneskin) and something like enlarge/reduce. My DM suggests me to grab some illusionist spells too

Well thanks for ya time,
Mchawi

Unoriginal
2017-11-26, 10:11 AM
You probably want to take War Wizard. Do you want to multiclass, or...?

Naanomi
2017-11-26, 10:13 AM
Mountain Dwarf, Abjurationist, grab one or more of the SCAG melee cantrips, go to town

3x 18s, what are your other stats?

Harrumphreys
2017-11-26, 10:16 AM
Have you browsed the Gith UA? Both subraces could make good front-line Wizards.

Would your GM lift the racial restriction to Bladesingers?

mchawi
2017-11-26, 10:21 AM
My stats are 18, 18, 18, 13, 16, 14

My DM is quite lenient so I could definitely talk to him

And I guess I don't mind multiclassing but I want to be mostly wizard so stick with the gimmick

Naanomi
2017-11-26, 10:29 AM
No multiclassing... Mountain Dwarf Abjurationist (or Bladesinger); 20/14/20/18/16/13; skills to taste... shame about wasting a stat point on Resiliant: CON at some point, but with stats like those who cares?

ASI: Resilient: CON; Warcaster; +2 INT; Toughness; Lucky?

Unoriginal
2017-11-26, 10:38 AM
No multiclassing... Mountain Dwarf Abjurationist (or Bladesinger); 20/14/20/18/16/13; skills to taste... shame about wasting a stat point on Resiliant: CON at some point, but with stats like those who cares?

ASI: Resilient: CON; Warcaster; +2 INT; Toughness; Lucky?

Why Abjuration and not War Mage?

Naanomi
2017-11-26, 10:53 AM
Why Abjuration and not War Mage?
Even with 20 CON, I’d be concerned about HP if I am meleeing on the front line and have a d6 Hit Die. Warwizard (or Bladesinger) gives more AC; but abjurationist gives a less fickle form of durability. All of them are viable options though

samcifer
2017-11-26, 11:28 AM
Even with 20 CON, I’d be concerned about HP if I am meleeing on the front line and have a d6 Hit Die. Warwizard (or Bladesinger) gives more AC; but abjurationist gives a less fickle form of durability. All of them are viable options though

The Tough feet can help with this.

Naanomi
2017-11-26, 11:39 AM
The Tough feet can help with this.
True, I picked it up on level 16 in my proposed build... I think I still prefer the refillable aegis to a few AC; and the magic resistance is nice as well... but I fully get that both have advantages

Afrodactyl
2017-11-26, 12:40 PM
I made a muscle wizard.... It was an orc barbarian who declared that everything he did was a spell, including his sack full of rocks with "magic missile" written on the side.

But that's probably not what you're looking for.

mchawi
2017-11-26, 01:37 PM
But that's probably not what you're looking for.

Lol probably not, but that is hilarious!!

Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions :D

Kane0
2017-11-26, 04:44 PM
Dwarf Abjurer makes for a solid frontline wizard, focus on touch spells for extra oomph until you get your hands on Tenser's Transformation.

Don't forget a healthy smattering of counterspells and dispels to bring enemy casters down to your level and force them to fight 'properly'

nickl_2000
2017-11-26, 07:28 PM
Not a wizard, but someone in my game with rolls like that is playing a half-orc stone sorcerer focused on green flame blade and booming blade with glaive and spell sniper.

It's very effective.

He also carries around a maul that he calls his knock spell.

Talionis
2017-11-26, 10:03 PM
One level of Warlock adds Armor of Agathys to your spell list. It works well with Aburationist.

Starman973
2017-11-26, 10:27 PM
Personally, I would got Wizard Bladesinger 2/ Eldritch Knight Fighter 18 Any Elf or half-elf. There are some nice Unearthed Arcana Options. The New or Old Eldrin would be nice with Misty step. Or got High Elf for the Extra Cantrip. Githyanki would be fun. Anyways. Your AC goes through the roof as INtel and dex both add to your AC and you can wear plate. You become a melee tank that can shoot a spell in their face.

furby076
2017-11-26, 11:18 PM
My stats are 18, 18, 18, 13, 16, 14

My DM is quite lenient so I could definitely talk to him

And I guess I don't mind multiclassing but I want to be mostly wizard so stick with the gimmick
Can I, uhm, borrow your dice?

Falcon X
2017-11-27, 12:27 AM
Ask DM if he will let you flex your muscles instead of dance for the bladesinger. Then do that.

Quoxis
2017-11-27, 10:46 AM
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dumb_Wizard_(5e_Optimized_Character_Build)

Just for a few ideas.

Other than that: getting a single level of warlock can be golden for you, as you get the "armor of agathys" spell.
It gives 5x the spell slot in temp hp, triggers (and doesn't interfere with) your abjurer's ward (which it effectively doubles at high levels), and by RAW you do massive damage without taking it directly - your ward absorbs damage you take in melee while your armor still damages the opponent.
Also: as a wizard you get higher spell slots, making upcasting it more valuable - the warlock's armor stops at 25 thp, while yours can get up to 45 on a 9th level slot (which would be madness, but still...).