PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew alchemical item: i don't know why it just came to mind.

elanfanboy
2017-11-26, 01:42 PM
Hey fellow giants in the playground, had a random idea for an alchemical item, just wanted to share it but responses are welcome.

Basically it's just one of those heat packets that you shake up to get warmth, it would be hard yp get (chemicals) but it means you could stay warm when a campfire would be a bad idea (such as getting hunted down in the frozen northlands)
Don't know if there's anything like this, but i just wanted to share this idea.

khadgar567
2017-11-26, 02:05 PM
Hey fellow giants in the playground, had a random idea for an alchemical item, just wanted to share it but responses are welcome.

Basically it's just one of those heat packets that you shake up to get warmth, it would be hard yp get (chemicals) but it means you could stay warm when a campfire would be a bad idea (such as getting hunted down in the frozen northlands)
Don't know if there's anything like this, but i just wanted to share this idea.
Constant item of endure elements you can even make earings if you want

Cealocanth
2017-11-26, 02:06 PM
I don't see why it would actually be that hard to get, actually. IRL, chemical heat packs contain dehydrated sodium acetate. The reaction to make one is a matter of mixing baking soda into vinegar in very small amounts over a long period, and then boiling out the water in the vinegar.

Vinegar is a natural biproduct of wine and ale manufacture, and baking soda is an ore that you can mine. In the middle ages, this stuff is called "hot ice." Heck, it's even mentioned in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Definitely something an alchemist would be able to make.

elanfanboy
2017-11-26, 02:38 PM
Well i still think its a good idea. Geez.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-26, 03:27 PM
As to how much it costs, I'd prove or at 1sp/hour of heat in Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or 1gp/hour in D&D, but I could see an argument for maybe 10/hour due trip usefulness. Is quite niche in use, so from a balance view it doesn't need to cost much.

elanfanboy
2017-11-26, 06:56 PM
If you look at the rral life thing it's supposed to last 24 hours, so that would be a fairly hefty price.

dagfari
2017-12-18, 10:49 AM
Good idea for Ultimate Equipment Guide, right alongside the dogsled and snowshoes for a campaign into the arctic.

Hot Ice
These consist of two small cloth pouches of alchemical reagants, which when combined together give off heat for one hour. This grants a +2 bonus to survival in areas of anything between cold(0C) and extreme cold(-50 C). This does not produce enough heat to cook food or boil water, but it can melt ice.
Alchemy DC 14 to create, 0.1 lb, 1 hr - 1 gp