PDA

View Full Version : Thematically Fun Cleric

LordEntrails
2017-11-26, 06:00 PM
So I'm looking to put together an enjoyable cleric. I don't min/max and am not worried about progression after 10th or 12th level.

Right now the party consists of a halfling paladin, a half-orc fighter, and an TBD arcane caster. Stats were rolled and are; 17,16,14,14,12,7.

I'm thinking Death or Life domain (though I don't want to be just a healbot). No idea on race; water genasi, aarakocra, or aasimar are possibilities and might be fun but I've never played any of them. Need to be able to provide adequate healing and probably focus on buffs and utilities rather than damage.

Thematic ideas and build suggestions please :)

LordEntrails
2017-11-26, 06:01 PM
Oh, and will probably be doing LMoP followed by SKT for the campaign.

8wGremlin
2017-11-26, 06:10 PM
You'll have enough healing; just remember you don't need to have them at full HP, even 1 hp they are fully operational!

I'd suggest the Standard Arcana Cleric;
Vhuman: magic initiate: druid, pick shillelagh, thorn whip, and absorb elements
pump WIS, have dex at least 14, for medium armour and shield use, and pick Chill touch and booming blade as your arcana spells.
and go to town!

put +1 to wis for 18 wis, you're standard attack is - bonus: shillelagh (attack with wis), move in and booming blade!
at level 4 take warcaster, and level 8 you get +wis mod to cleric cantrips...

it's potent, it's fun, and it's versatile!

QuintonBeck
2017-11-26, 08:48 PM
How about a Protector Aasimar Forge Cleric? Perhaps (s)he's even a dwarven aasimar. No reason aasimar only have to take the proportions of a human, their description just says humanoid which a dwarf is. Chosen by Moradin this dwarven aasimar is naturally a craftsman and prefers working on creating things than stomping around tearing things down. However, he knows he must bring Moradin's light to the (dwarven) people and so adventures and crafts magical items for the allies he doesn't hate during his travels. It gives him something to do between visiting places with dwarves.

I imagine your paladin or fighter will be big fans of your Level 1 Blessing of the Forge on their weapon or armor. You could probably get one to convert if you promised to commit it to him :smalltongue:

Stats after racial bonuses Level 1 (Wear Heavy Armor or dump Int instead)
Str: 16
Dex: 7
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 18
Cha: 16

Background could be Folk Hero or Acolyte. Really depends on how you want to play the character.

LordEntrails
2017-11-26, 10:27 PM
I don't have SCAG, I think that's where Arcane (and Death) domains come from so can't go that route. But thanks, I like the concept.

I also like the Aasimar Forge cleric, very tempting...

Other ideas?

8wGremlin
2017-11-26, 10:56 PM
Death is in the DMG, so you might be good there.

Take that and pick the spell "Toll the dead" which is in Xanatha's Guide to Everything.

Or slightly different;

Take Life Cleric, vHuman, and then take Magic initiate: Druid, pick Shillelagh, thornwhip, and goodberry.
Goodberry with life cleric means every berry gets your HP bonus to it!

Play it as a shamanistic character, you get heavy armour, but you don't have to go that way.
use the shillelagh as I said above, but you don't get booming blade, have uber healing.

Discord
2017-11-26, 11:58 PM
A Blue or Bronze Dragonborn Tempest Cleric. You were born with the ability to harness electricity and also gifted control over it by a deity.

Nifft
2017-11-27, 12:02 AM
Nature Clerics are awesome.

Their extra damage type is flexible (fire, cold, or lightning) and include two common vulnerabilities.

You save a feat if you want either Thorn Whip or Shillelagh; you get heavy armor so you can dump Dex (and somewhat dump Str if you've got Shillelagh, but you probably want heavy armor so 15 is a good target). Your level 1 bonus spells are too niche, especially since there's so much overlap with your Channel Divinity perk, but level 2+ include some real gems.

Dampen Elements at level 6 is amazing.

-- -- --

So, a sample build.

Hill Dwarf is a good race: on top of the usual Dwarfy goodness, you get +1 Wisdom and +1 HP every level. Also there's no Dwarf in the party yet, so you're in a good place on that front.

Options:
- Bonus Druid Cantrip: Shillelagh
- Other level 1 Cantrips: Toll the Dead, Thaumaturgy, Guidance

Str: 14
Dex: 7
Con: 18 (16 +2 racial)
Int: 12
Wis: 18 (17 +1 racial)
Cha: 14

Take Heavy Armor Master at level 4, which sets you up for good use of the better heavy armors later in the game.

At level 8, take the ASI for +2 Wisdom; at level 12, take the ASI for +2 Con. After that, maybe two more Feats? Alert is pretty sweet. Resilient: Dexterity covers a major weakness; alternately, Resilient: Constitution (for better Concentration checks) and an ASI for +1 Dex / +1 Con.

If you're seeing a lot of undead, you'll probably want Sacred Flame at level 4.