PDA

View Full Version : Can I add sharpshooter,dex,etc. to my lightning arrow spell attack?

dnd2016
2017-11-26, 07:32 PM
I no this had been asked before in the past. Maybe new ruling on xanathars?

Mellack
2017-11-26, 07:38 PM
The spell specifically says it does the lightening instead of the weapons normal damage. So no dex or sharpshooter. You might be able to talk a DM into giving you any extra riders that are not part of normal damage such as smites or sneak attack.

dnd2016
2017-11-26, 07:48 PM
But is dex and SS considered part of the weapons normal damage? Not just the 1d8?

Specter
2017-11-26, 09:06 PM
Sharpshooter
"Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage."

Lightning Arrow
"The next time you make a ranged weapon attack during the spell’s duration, the weapon’s ammunition, or the weapon itself if it’s a thrown weapon, transforms into a bolt of lightning. Make the attack roll as normal. The target takes 4d8 lightning damage on a hit, or half as much damage on a miss, instead of the weapon’s normal damage."

Sharpshooter requires a ranged weapon attack. You are making a ranged weapon attack with Lightning Arrow. It does apply.