PDA

View Full Version : What are the best spells that target each different save?

Klorox
2017-11-26, 07:36 PM
I’m in the mood to play a caster who can target each of the enemies saving throws.

My plan is to pick out the enemies weakness and exploit it.

Please list the best spells that target each individual saving throw.

ImproperJustice
2017-11-26, 09:45 PM
Or.....
Maybe you could do it and tell us what works best?

furby076
2017-11-26, 11:08 PM
Or....
We could help him. You know, that thing we typically do when people ask questions. This being no more or less valid then the thousands of other questions posted on here.

I'd help bud, but I wouldn't be a good resource as I am playing a paladin who does not use target enemy spells

Dalebert
2017-11-27, 12:06 AM
Some brainstorms:

Str: Entangle, Maximillian's Earthen Grasp, Telekinesis(not a save)
Dex: Faerie Fire, Web, Fireball
Con: Thunderwave, Cone of Cold
Int: Phantasmal Force, Maze
Wis: Spirit Guardians, Hold Monster, Polymorph
Cha: Banishment, Plane Shift

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-11-27, 12:51 AM
It's high level, but as far as I'm concerned Feeblemind might as well read "Destroy target non-wizard spellcaster."

MrStabby
2017-11-27, 02:06 AM
I would add ensnaring strike as a brutal level 1 spell.

Hold person is also nice, not least for how it scales.

ImproperJustice
2017-11-27, 03:09 PM
Your right. I should be more helpful....

To add to what has been listed, and mostbof my experience has been at low level play.

Frostbite is a cantrip that targets Con and gives disadvantage on weapon attacks.

Enemies Abound, the new spell from Xanathar’s targets intelligence.

Earthen Grasp has been mentioned which targets strength.

I think slow is very underrated, and it targets Wisdom.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-27, 04:19 PM
With XGtE, Clerics now have 3 attack cantrips. All of which are save-or-suck. Sacred Flame which targets Dex, Word of Radiance that targets Con, and Toll the Dead that targets Wis.
I'm sure they get spells that target Int, Str, and Cha at some point too.

guachi
2017-11-27, 04:25 PM
I like Dissonant Whispers for Wisdom as it's one of the few Wisdom saves that doesn't inflict a status effect and/or require concentration. It's just a straight wisdom damage spell.

sithlordnergal
2017-11-27, 06:02 PM
I am gonna toss Fear in here. One of the best spells you can snag, and it targets Wisdom. Use it in the right place and it essentially is an "I win" button

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-11-28, 06:08 AM
I am gonna toss Fear in here. One of the best spells you can snag, and it targets Wisdom. Use it in the right place and it essentially is an "I win" button

I like Hypnotic Pattern at the same level a little better (because I'd rather have my enemies where I can see them, rather than scattering and regrouping, possibly attracting attention from other monsters in the area), but both it and Fear are excellent spells and which one is best will be largely situational.

FabulousFizban
2017-11-28, 03:55 PM
str: entangle
dex: faerie fire/grease/ burning hands
con: heat metal/poison spray/blindness/deafness
int: silent image
wis: vicious mockery/hideous laughter/charm person/bestow curse/ command
cha: bane/ calm emotions

krunchyfrogg
2018-01-05, 09:51 PM
Awesome thread!

Thank you!!

LeonBH
2018-01-05, 10:17 PM
Str and Int are the only two you have to target, because a high Str individual will usually have low Int, and a high Int individual will usually have low Str.

Str: Maximillian's Earthen Grasp. Once you impose the restrained condition, the target cannot fly or escape unless they use their actions to make a strength check. So they will be making rolls that add their low strength modifier with no proficiency bonus, and which is easily penalized by Hex.

Int: Phantasmal Force. Once you get them in this spell, they have to spend an action to make an Investigation check (something monsters are rarely proficient in), and it is easily penalized by Hex as well. If you're creative, this can end the encounter very quickly.

For mobs of beasts or otherwise low charisma, Bane is a great debuff, but it is the tertiary save to target.

I'd avoid spells that target Dex, Wis, or Con, because most monsters will resist those more easily than Str, Int, or Cha.