PDA

View Full Version : Over as soon as it begins: a Ranger/Fighter Assassin build.

Silkensword
2017-11-26, 07:37 PM
Disclaimer: I'm making no claims for the late-game scaling or out of combat viability of this build. I am, however, offering you a build that at level 6 attacks four times in the first round of combat with action surge, and at level 14, when this build completes, has a grand total of eight attacks in the first round of combat- all of them with advantage, assuming you're in darkness and your enemy relies on darkvision. But let's get into the meat of this.

Levels 1-3: you'll want to get to level 3 in Ranger and become a gloomstalker. Take the archery fighting style you get from this, and humanoids are the obvious choice for most classical assassins' favoured enemy.

4-6: Start investing in fighter levels. I haven't had the time to do any sort of calculation what would be optimal, but Arcane Archer and Battlemaster seem the most interesting here. AA seems good due to better AoE options, but BM has better lockdown. You could pick up great weapon fighting style if you go the BM route, as AA will make you MAD anyway for Int, so If you prefer not to go in that direction, you could invest in Str instead and be deadly with a Greatsword or similar weapon. Of course, you could attempt to forego any sort of MADness and build a purely Dex oriented build, with the potentiality of rogue levels in the future.

8: assuming you have kept building fighter, you now have, in your first turn of combat:

Bonus action: used for hunters mark or similar, potentially an off-hand attack (attack 0)
Action: attack 1, which activates Dread Ambusher= attack 2, leaving you with your second attack from being a level 5 fighter, attack 3
Action surge
Action: attack 4, since it's still your first turn in combat Dread Ambusher activates again, granting you attack 5, and finally, your second attack from being a level five fighter, attack 6. If you have a magical weapon or other fun things that apply additional debuffs or damage, this should be fairly silly coming from a level 8 character who, by the way, is making all of these attacks at advantage in a lot of situations due to being invisible to darkvision.

Might add onto this later on, looking forward to a friendly discussion of optimization in this thread! :)

JuraBenHur
2017-12-01, 08:18 PM
Hey Silkensword,

Interesting Post!:smallbiggrin: I've been tinkering with this, as my AL Ranger just made 5th level taking Gloom Stalker subclass.

I think you can get all of these attacks by level seven with Ranger 5, Fighter 2

With Ranger 5 you get gloom stalker, ASI, extra attack & 2nd level spells.

Then at Fighter 2 you get action surge.

So at level 7 you get 6 attacks using your method below. Hunter's mark is super delicious as each hit gets the d6 at this point. If all hit with a longbow and you took your ASI to dex its thats 6d6 (hunter's mark, 21 average) + 8d8 (your longbow and the two bonus d8s from dread ambusher, 36 average) + 24 (flat damage from your longbow with 4 dex. That's 81 damage on turn 1 (21+36+24), assuming everything is a hit.

If you have advantage from being hidden, and you took archer, asi to dex, then it's advantage with +9 to hit to each of those rolls. Its possible to hit on a lot of them, or maybe critting one or two (with 16 dice rolls, a crit's fairly likely).

If you're invisible in the dark and / or if you use Pass without trace (and that spell is wicked rad and worth taking), then that is dread ambushing indeed! My build took a human variant with alert (+5 to initiative, cant be surprised while awake). That means that if you're on the being ambushed side, then you are still pretty likely to go first. At level 5, your initiative rolls are absolutely stupid high at +12 (+5 alert, +4 dex, +3 wis). A good question would be if it its better to take sharpshooter than alert. Alert is going to help you take down one bad guy before they go and is a little bit of the 'safer' option. Pure damage is ridiculous with sharpshooter. If you expect to have advantage or you don't tend to fight things with high AC, then sharpshooter adds +60 flat damage to the best case scenario, which is insane.

Another good question is what to do with level 8+ then? Ranger 5 Fighter 2 then Rogue is I think is how I would go. Looking at maxing out crits asap, you could go Ranger Gloom stalker 5, fighter 2, rogue 3 for Assassin. Rogue Assassins get advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet and any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit. Its got to be surprised to get those autocrits so we are really doubling down on the ability to be in the dark or get the drop on them, but man-oh-man, here is a lot of dice to look at. If you hit on all of them its now 6d6 hunters mark + 6d8 longbow + 2d8 dread ambusher + 2d6 sneak attack TIMES TWO plus either 24 flat (no sharpshooter) or 80 flat (with sharpshooter but no asi dex). 16d6 +16d8 + 80 is the biggest number if all hit on a surprise with this with sharpshooter. A whopping 208 average damage on turn 1 for a lvl 10 character!!! Yes that's best case scenario, but I don't see many other higher damage prospects for a best case scenario than that at level 10. Maybe just get your cleric to bless you and your wizard to haste you in advance of your ambush.

Next we may want to get the fighter subclass, and for that matter, stick through to Fighter 4 or Rogue 4 so that you can take some more dex or pick up sharpshooter if you havent already. Champion probably will have the most damage output if you are counting on having advantage but no surprise, as crits on 19 with advantage vs 20 make the probability go from 9.8% on each attack (with a 20 raw roll) to 19.1% per attack (19 or 20). I dont have the maths to tell you how many crits you are likely to roll with 8 attempts at 19.1% probability each, but maybe 1 or 2 would be expected. Arcane Archer is nice because you can guarantee that you will get an extra 2d6 on that phat stack of dice you'll be rolling. Bursting arrow if you want the damage to carry to nearby creeps, or put on thorns to slow him down. Battlemaster to bump the damage a bit and start the battle with some awesome effect on the creep you just nuked and add a bit of damage (menacing attack is my favorite for flavor, because if invisible thing just Legolas'd me with 6 arrows in 6 seconds, i'd be frightened of it for sure.) If you did the rogue assassin, I think that arcane archer is the best for damage nova.

Problem is just that after the most ridiculously glorious first turns, damage will drop off a LOT. Still, take down a nasty henchman or a big chunk out of the big bad on turn 1. Plus your other party members still need to do something...

In Summary - THANK YOU XANATHAR! I'm looking forward to more on this thread as well.

*made huge mistakes in math and edited those just now.

Silkensword
2017-12-02, 07:56 PM
Hell yeah this is what I'm talking about!!!! I wouldn't take bursting arrow since you're stuck with what you choose and it scales poorly, but other than that, I agree with you!