PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Energy Immunity question

Zhepna
2017-11-26, 10:43 PM
Hi,

we play dnd 3.5 and after 4 sessions, we are still lvl 1. I just got the second magic item and it's Ring of Energy immunity of cold. It's way over our level but I don't think we'll ever fight something using ice since we'll probably always stay in the same town.

1) I'm looking for ways to protects it since players kill and loot each other a lot in this party. When we die, we basicly responds with a xp lost and it cost 100 gp to the party to revive the character. Dm did it because we are all new players. Nobody did it to me yet but I want to play it save. I have Magic Aura against thief but the party already know I have it. Could I pay a mage or someone to graft it inside my body and still have the effect?

Contingency could be good but I'll probably not be able to use it before at least 1 year,

2) Is there way that I could make it useful even if we never fight again cold? Like converting the damage I receive to cold or a spell with usually a cold damage drawback? I found nothing but I'm a new player.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Morcleon
2017-11-26, 11:18 PM
Hi,

we play dnd 3.5 and after 4 sessions, we are still lvl 1. I just got the second magic item and it's Ring of Energy immunity of cold. It's way over our level but I don't think we'll ever fight something using ice since we'll probably always stay in the same town.

1) I'm looking for ways to protects it since players kill and loot each other a lot in this party. When we die, we basicly responds with a xp lost and it cost 100 gp to the party to revive the character. Dm did it because we are all new players. Nobody did it to me yet but I want to play it save. I have Magic Aura against thief but the party already know I have it. Could I pay a mage or someone to graft it inside my body and still have the effect?

Contingency could be good but I'll probably not be able to use it before at least 1 year,

2) Is there way that I could make it useful even if we never fight again cold? Like converting the damage I receive to cold or a spell with usually a cold damage drawback? I found nothing but I'm a new player.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

1. Talk to the other players and tell them that you'd like to keep the item if you die. Alternately, steal it back if they take it from you.

2. Sell it. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rings.htm#energyImmunity) Even at half price, 120,000 gp is far, far more than a level 1 character needs, so you can get a ton of extra magic items to buff yourself up.

Nifft
2017-11-26, 11:22 PM
Would they kill you if you said it was a Ring of Cold Resistance? (Maybe say you didn't know how much resistance yet.)

I'm not sure how you can be level 1 after four game sessions -- in my experience level 1 lasts for exactly one game session, and that's fine because I prefer higher levels.

Can you organize the other players a bit? Something like: "Hey guys, let's work together to kill things and take their stuff. That will make us all richer, and much more powerful."

Fizban
2017-11-26, 11:35 PM
Hi,we play dnd 3.5 and after 4 sessions, we are still lvl 1. I just got the second magic item and it's Ring of Energy immunity of cold. It's way over our level but I don't think we'll ever fight something using ice since we'll probably always stay in the same town.
There are reasons this could happen. The most generous assumption is that your DM is planning on throwing some horrible cold monster at you and someone will need the ring to beat it. This does seem unlikely given the rest of the data though.

1) I'm looking for ways to protects it since players kill and loot each other a lot in this party.
This is a bad game. Unless for some reason you all agreed that killing each other and stealing each other's stuff would be fun for some reason. It is absolutely 100% not the way the game is meant or expected to be played, so all bets are off. You're no longer playing DnD, instead you're playing whatever this is.

When we die, we basicly responds with a xp lost and it cost 100 gp to the party to revive the character. Dm did it because we are all new players.
This is entirely reasonable. The default "difficulty" level has death being very punishing, but that punishment is only required for games where there are a static number of foes and the ability to easily respawn would make the game significantly easier. A more fluid game based on objectives where the enemy force could replenish or change completely after you respawn has no need of death penalties.

Nobody did it to me yet but I want to play it save. I have Magic Aura against thief but the party already know I have it. Could I pay a mage or someone to graft it inside my body and still have the effect?
I think you're saying that you cast Magic Aura on the ring so it doesn't detect as magical, but since your party knows already they can still decide murder you and steal it for no reason (which then penalizes your xp for no fault of your own). No, there is no normal way to do what you're suggesting, but clearly your DM is barely winging it so you could probably convince them to let you do it anyway.

Nope. The only way you can really use this offensively is to cast wide area cold spells on top of yourself to hit nearby enemies without also hitting yourself. There aren't very many printed cold spells that can be targeted that way and you're a long way from getting wide area spells in the first place even if you used Energy Substitution to change other spells into cold.

If you expect the ring to be useless why do you even care about holding onto it? It's worth a ton of gold if you were actually allowed to sell it based on book price, at which point that gold should be evenly split between the party members who would then buy their own gear and keep it because they're here to play a game about cooperative dungeoncrawling where you respect the other players. Or it could be a cursed item that just looks like a ring of energy immunity and will actually screw the wearer over at some point, which you again want no part of.

weckar
2017-11-27, 05:22 AM
Fizban, are you really accusing them of badwrongfun? My own group has not seen a dungeon in years!

Inevitability
2017-11-27, 06:28 AM
Walk up to the party and announce: "Hey guys, I got this magic ring that will be of very little use to us, and I'm afraid you guys will shank me and steal it. How about I sell it, I get half the value, and the other half is split between you equally."

Unless they're the most dysfunctional, chaotic, evil, backstabbing opportunists ever (in which case they'd team up and take you out as you speak), they'll probably accept the offer. After all, several thousand gold pieces are much better than finding out Bob the rogue stole the ring and ran off.

Fizban
2017-11-27, 08:03 AM
Fizban, are you really accusing them of badwrongfun? My own group has not seen a dungeon in years!
The emphasis in that sentence is cooperation and respect, with dungeoncrawler just being a natural alternate phrase for dungeons and dragons. And I will absolutely accuse the other players and DM of badwrongfun if there's a player at the table who doesn't like a backstabbing madhouse. The OP has not yet positively indicated they enjoy it, while their concern implies a certain level of distaste.

Of course they could have got the ring by murdering one of the other players in the first place and just not mentioned it I suppose.

Psyren
2017-11-27, 12:51 PM
The emphasis in that sentence is cooperation and respect, with dungeoncrawler just being a natural alternate phrase for dungeons and dragons. And I will absolutely accuse the other players and DM of badwrongfun if there's a player at the table who doesn't like a backstabbing madhouse. The OP has not yet positively indicated they enjoy it, while their concern implies a certain level of distaste.

Of course they could have got the ring by murdering one of the other players in the first place and just not mentioned it I suppose.

Yeah, this. The guy making a "help me" thread is an indication that this isn't fun.

I mean, if they actually like being in a PvP clownfiesta then go nuts, but pointing out that the game just isn't designed for it is simple fact.

ViperMagnum357
2017-11-27, 02:47 PM
You could also hand it to an Artificer character, who could crack it open for 12,400XP.

Zhepna
2017-11-27, 09:37 PM
You all have good points, I'll talk with the others players during next game to be more oriented toward teams play.

Thanks for all the ideas, it helped me a lot.