PDA

View Full Version : Explode

HolyDraconus
2017-11-26, 11:28 PM
What happens if an 18th level shadow sorc ends it's umbral form inside an object, like a person? Ending your turn there does only damage, not the normal shunt effect expected with these possibilities. So as such, you can stay there, unlike normal. Soo does that mean I explode or the target if it's my size or smaller?

Bonus: what if the target is Rakshasha?

Puh Laden
2017-11-26, 11:42 PM
Isn’t there a rule against ending your turn in another ceeature’s space within a size range?

HolyDraconus
2017-11-26, 11:46 PM
Isn’t there a rule against ending your turn in another ceeature’s space within a size range?

I never seen such, especially since all the effects I seen that players had access to that forced it, shunted you to the nearest empty 5ft square.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 05:37 PM
soooo nothing?

Vaz
2017-11-27, 05:47 PM
You cannot voluntarily end your move sharing space with another creature. Ending your move is any time you stop moving, even if you later continue your movement in the same turn, as there is no such thing as the movement action any more.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 05:51 PM
You cannot voluntarily end your move sharing space with another creature. Ending your move is any time you stop moving, even if you later continue your movement in the same turn, as there is no such thing as the movement action any more.

cite page please.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-27, 06:00 PM
cite page please.

PHB 191. In the movement rules, for some reason.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 06:08 PM
PHB 191. In the movement rules, for some reason.

That actually doesn't answer the question in the OP, though. Which still stands. It answers the second post though. Since it is the form that allows the passage to begin with.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-11-27, 06:24 PM
Well, what would you do in the non-magic case of involuntarily ending movement in another guy's square (e.g. opportunity attack + Sentinel)? As a DM I guess I would shunt you in a likely direction or allow you to shunt yourself depending on circumstances. What I wouldn't do is say, "The enemy tripped you while you were edging past Bob's square, there's not enough room and you both explode."

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 07:02 PM
Funny that you need to even ask. If you had read the basics for Combat (from Chapter 9: Combat), you should already be aware of how movement works.

It's called Player's Handbook for a reason, and it should go without saying that reading the rules for combat is the least every player should do. Not just how to create a character.

This is a text book definition of a hostile post. It wasn't needed. It didn't add anything. And it can be viewed as an attack. Just Saiyan.

Well, what would you do in the non-magic case of involuntarily ending movement in another guy's square (e.g. opportunity attack + Sentinel)? As a DM I guess I would shunt you in a likely direction or allow you to shunt yourself depending on circumstances. What I wouldn't do is say, "The enemy tripped you while you were edging past Bob's square, there's not enough room and you both explode."

Hmm. Thank you.

Arkhios
2017-11-27, 08:36 PM
This is a text book definition of a hostile post. It wasn't needed. It didn't add anything. And it can be viewed as an attack. Just Saiyan.

Fair enough, I take (or rather, took) that back.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 08:56 PM
Fair enough, I take (or rather, took) that back.

I'm fairly certain that in a different setting I would enjoy debating with you, but this thread needs to be locked, I suppose.

Ganymede
2017-11-27, 09:08 PM
What happens if an 18th level shadow sorc ends it's umbral form inside an object, like a person?

A person is not an object. A person is a creature. This spell only allows you to end your turn inside of an object, not a creature: "You take 5 force damage if you end your turn inside an object."

The spell breaks the usual proscription on moving through creatures, but it does not lift the proscription on ending your turn in the same space as a creature.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 09:13 PM
A person is not an object. A person is a creature. This spell only allows you to end your turn inside of an object, not a creature: "You take 5 force damage if you end your turn inside an object."

The spell breaks the usual proscription on moving through creatures, but it does not lift the proscription on ending your turn in the same space as a creature.

Its not a spell, and that's for ending your turn, NOT the effect. Thanks though.

Ganymede
2017-11-27, 09:19 PM
Its not a spell, and that's for ending your turn, NOT the effect. Thanks though.

Oh, I gotcha.

There is literally no guidance whatsoever, in the ability itself or elsewhere in the rules, as to what happens if Umbral Form ends while you are in an object/creature. It is an important question, too, as I could easily imagine a shadow sorcerer being knocked unconscious (by an attack of opportunity, perhaps) as he is passing through a wall or other object.

Since there is no rules guidance at all, your only choice is to discuss this with your DM/Players. You could also try tweeting Crawford.

CircuitEngie
2017-11-27, 09:47 PM
There is currently no guidance or rulings for what would happen. I find it unlikely that you would become incapacitated within a solid object, since OAs happen before the move and you have total cover within the solid surface.

However should it happen for some reason, without the shunting effect, you have just rematerialized within solid stone. Luckily for you, at level 18 resurrection without the body is within the realm of possibility. Unfortunately for some future archeologist, they will have a mystery as to why a section of stone is red and seems to bleed slightly when chipped.

If it could happen within a creature, willing or not, it would be the question of if the creature could survive without functioning internal organs. The shadow sorcerer, would need one of those bodiless resurrections.

Ganymede
2017-11-27, 09:55 PM
However should it happen for some reason, without the shunting effect, you have just rematerialized within solid stone. Luckily for you, at level 18 resurrection without the body is within the realm of possibility. Unfortunately for some future archeologist, they will have a mystery as to why a section of stone is red and seems to bleed slightly when chipped.

If it could happen within a creature, willing or not, it would be the question of if the creature could survive without functioning internal organs. The shadow sorcerer, would need one of those bodiless resurrections.

This sounds a lot like the gore-fest that was the old 1E Teleport spell: there is an unavoidable chance of instant death via teleportation directly into the ground.

That's certainly one way to handle this.

HolyDraconus
2017-11-27, 11:35 PM
Oh, I gotcha.

There is literally no guidance whatsoever, in the ability itself or elsewhere in the rules, as to what happens if Umbral Form ends while you are in an object/creature. It is an important question, too, as I could easily imagine a shadow sorcerer being knocked unconscious (by an attack of opportunity, perhaps) as he is passing through a wall or other object.

Since there is no rules guidance at all, your only choice is to discuss this with your DM/Players. You could also try tweeting Crawford.
That is one possibility as well as method of finding out. Though him and Mearls' track record suggest that he may say something dumb like the world will explode or something. After all, Acid Splash and the Rashasha rulings still have threads to prove it. Both that was supplied by the "dynamic duo" has been extremely questionable.

There is currently no guidance or rulings for what would happen. I find it unlikely that you would become incapacitated within a solid object, since OAs happen before the move and you have total cover within the solid surface.

That's another option I suppose as well.

This sounds a lot like the gore-fest that was the old 1E Teleport spell: there is an unavoidable chance of instant death via teleportation directly into the ground.

That's certainly one way to handle this.

And this was what I was thinking, though I felt that the "object" that was in the space may explode too. What if the sorcerer has a globe of invulnerability on when this happens???