PDA

View Full Version : Spellwarped Sorcerer build question(s)

leegi0n
2017-11-27, 09:22 AM
Playgrounders,

I've started a build for a spellwarp sniper. The details (at third level) are as such:

STATS
Str: 9
Dex: 18
Con: 8
Int: 15
Wis: 10
Cha: 18

Current class levels are: Spellthief1/Sorcerer2

I've read in the forums that a lot of folks go into unseen seer for 10 levels after 4 of sorcerer. Why (other than sneak attack) is unseen seer so highly spoken of?

Would there be any value to add a level of Incantatrix into this build?

Can someone please help me flesh this character out a bit? All 3.0/3.5 books are available to use.

Thank you -

Mike Miller
2017-11-27, 10:41 AM
What level of optimization are you looking for? What level of optimization is your group? Generally speaking, a single level of incantatrix isn't worthwhile. The best stuff isn't at first level. Also, what is the rest of your party?

Also, it is worth noting that Unseen Seer can't be taken until level 6 due to skill requirements. It is good for rogue types as it increases casting and sneak attack. It is also good for divination types, as that is its primary focus.

Nifft
2017-11-27, 11:06 AM
I've started a build for a spellwarp sniper.

I've read in the forums that a lot of folks go into unseen seer for 10 levels after 4 of sorcerer. Why (other than sneak attack) is unseen seer so highly spoken of? Skill points and class features.

Would there be any value to add a level of Incantatrix into this build? Int-based characters like Incantatrix because of Persistent Spell shenanigans.

Are you going to optimize for Spellcraft somehow? Are you going to be allowed to abuse Persistent Spell?

Can someone please help me flesh this character out a bit? All 3.0/3.5 books are available to use. Sure.

Spellthief 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / Spellwarp Sniper 5

Race: Silverbrow Human

ACF: trade your Familiar away for something, since otherwise it's going to be stuck at level 4 ability

Feats:
L1: Able Learner, Point Blank Shot
L3: Master Spellthief
L6: Obtain Familiar
L9: Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer)

Sleven
2017-11-27, 07:49 PM
How many skill points do you want/need? If the answer is, "all of them," then take more levels of unseen seer. If it isn't, then take less (2 is a good breakpoint for a build that just wants to enter Spellwarp Sniper and doesn't care about skillmonkey'ing, because it can save you a feat). You also get the benefit of having more spells known on your sorcerer, which is neat.

4-5 levels of Incantatrix helps any caster build.

Also, I don't know how you make it with that constitution score.

ATHATH
2017-11-27, 09:47 PM
Skill points and class features.

Int-based characters like Incantatrix because of Persistent Spell shenanigans.

Are you going to optimize for Spellcraft somehow? Are you going to be allowed to abuse Persistent Spell?

Sure.

Spellthief 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / Spellwarp Sniper 5

Race: Silverbrow Human

ACF: trade your Familiar away for something, since otherwise it's going to be stuck at level 4 ability

Feats:
L1: Able Learner, Point Blank Shot
L3: Master Spellthief
L6: Obtain Familiar
L9: Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer)
Note that the Master Spellthief feat lets you steal spells of a higher level, but doesn't give you the stored spell level capacity to actually use them (you can still steal high-level spells from your enemies in order to deny them access to those spells, though). I know that Nifft knows this, but leegi0n might not.

Also, leegi0n, in case you were wondering why the Practiced Spellcaster feat is in there, it offsets the penalty to the CL of non-divination spells that Unseen Seer gives you.

leegi0n
2017-11-28, 08:28 AM
Also, I don't know how you make it with that constitution score.

In the words of Alice in Chains, "I Stay Away."

Nifft
2017-11-28, 12:59 PM
Note that the Master Spellthief feat lets you steal spells of a higher level, but doesn't give you the stored spell level capacity to actually use them (you can still steal high-level spells from your enemies in order to deny them access to those spells, though). I know that Nifft knows this, but leegi0n might not. That is technically correct.

However, in actual play with a DM who allows the Master Spellthief feat, then there's a decent chance that the DM interprets the feat as allowing you to also use what you steal.

For me, the proportion of DMs who read the lack of storage as an editorial oversight is 100% -- that is to say, so far I've never actually played with anyone who used the technically correct reading that ATHATH is describing above.

So, while ATHATH is technically correct, this is really an issue that @leegi0n should bring up to the DM.