PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding a Gish build?

Skiblit
2017-11-27, 03:06 PM
So I read a couple of Gish handbooks, and I found a build that I really like and think I want to use, I just don't really understand why I take some of the classes and levels that are listed I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me some things about the following build.

Human Paragon 1/Fighter 1/Wizard 2/Human Paragon +2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/(INSERT DIP HERE) 1-4/Eldritch Knight 4-7

Primarily I am confused on why I take the one level of spell sword and am wondering if I could meet the Gish benchmarks by replacing that level with a 5th level of spell dancer which is my dip class. I'm also curious on what the specific benefits of taking human paragon for three levels does for me instead of just going four fighter levels.

Any help understanding is greatly appreciated thank you!

Nifft
2017-11-27, 03:19 PM
Spellsword 1 reduces ACF by -10%.

That means you can wear a mithral chain shirt without risking arcane spell failure.

Mithral chain shirts give you +4 AC (so you have a free undispellable mage armor all day) which is not a big deal -- but they can also be enhanced as magic items, and that actually is a big deal.

Dread_Head
2017-11-27, 03:54 PM
Spellsword 1 progresses both casting and has full base attack whilst being straightforward to enter. It's used to pad out the build before it qualifies for other classes, primarily Abjurant Champion. Replacing it with another level of spelldancer would mean you miss out on BAB 16 and your 4th attack at level 20.

The levels of human paragon are there instead of fighter as they progress casting on 2/3 levels. With 4 fighter levels you'd never get 9th level spells by 20 and would have even more delayed casting than most gishes for your entire career.

Skiblit
2017-11-27, 05:10 PM
Spellsword 1 progresses both casting and has full base attack whilst being straightforward to enter. It's used to pad out the build before it qualifies for other classes, primarily Abjurant Champion. Replacing it with another level of spelldancer would mean you miss out on BAB 16 and your 4th attack at level 20.

The levels of human paragon are there instead of fighter as they progress casting on 2/3 levels. With 4 fighter levels you'd never get 9th level spells by 20 and would have even more delayed casting than most gishes for your entire career.

Ahhhh this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't gotten so far as to add up the BAB silly me. Thank you for the informative answer. :)

Sleven
2017-11-27, 07:29 PM
If you're playing a Wizard Spelldancer and throwing away caster levels, you're much better off (and will have much more fun in my opinion) playing a Swiftblade 9. You can trade out Scribe Scroll for a fighter feat on Wizard and a few other things to work your way up to the Spelldancer and Swiftblade prerequisites, which are shared. You'll also still have room for levels of Abjurant Champion.