PDA

View Full Version : Fun Finds - what are yours III

8wGremlin
2017-11-27, 04:19 PM
in Xanathar's guide to everything..

RUBY OF THE WAR MAGE Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)
a ruby that you attach to a simple or martial weapon allows you to use it as a spellcasting focus for your spells.

JMS
2017-11-29, 07:23 AM
If this is to find fun things, even in pictures, anyone notice the broken chains on the hands on the Scout picture in XgtE

Unoriginal
2017-11-29, 07:28 AM
in Xanathar's guide to everything..

RUBY OF THE WAR MAGE Wondrous item, common (requires attunement by a spellcaster)
a ruby that you attach to a simple or martial weapon allows you to use it as a spellcasting focus for your spells.

Err... I'm sorry to not get it, but how is this a fun find?

I mean, it's the item's basic purpose as listed by the book

borg286
2017-11-29, 01:23 PM
Hat of Wizardry (atunement by wizard)
1/day cast any wizard cantrip with an int check

The wizard class has the most versatile cantrips, and really increases his utility belt.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-29, 01:29 PM
Shadow Sorc's ability to cast Darkness either with Sorcery Points or "a spell slot". It doesn't give a minimum level of the spell slot, which by RAW should mean that Shadow Sorcs can cast Darkness with a first-level spell slot.

Foxhound438
2017-11-29, 02:19 PM
Shadow Sorc's ability to cast Darkness either with Sorcery Points or "a spell slot". It doesn't give a minimum level of the spell slot, which by RAW should mean that Shadow Sorcs can cast Darkness with a first-level spell slot.

it's a second level spell as written in the book, so it needs a level 2 or higher slot.

8wGremlin
2017-11-29, 02:23 PM
Err... I'm sorry to not get it, but how is this a fun find?

I mean, it's the item's basic purpose as listed by the book

yes, but one of the problems for sword and board casters is that they need a hand free for casting.
With this common cheap magic item, they don't have to worry about that any more.

Some people take feats just for this ability, now they don't need to with this.
Yes it's niche, but its a nice little find, that some people may not be aware of.

Unoriginal
2017-11-29, 02:30 PM
yes, but one of the problems for sword and board casters is that they need a hand free for casting.
With this common cheap magic item, they don't have to worry about that any more.

Some people take feats just for this ability, now they don't need to with this.
Yes it's niche, but its a nice little find, that some people may not be aware of.

You still need a hand free for casting, even with a focus.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-29, 04:57 PM
You still need a hand free for casting, even with a focus.

Only if the spell requires Somatic but not (non-GP, non-consumed) Material components.

Unoriginal
2017-11-29, 05:37 PM
Only if the spell requires Somatic but not (non-GP, non-consumed) Material components.

What if it requires both?

Crgaston
2017-11-29, 06:15 PM
What if it requires both?
Then you use the focus (or components) in your hand to make the gesture. Think waving a wand in a certain pattern.

If there’s S but no M, it’s specifically waving your empty hand.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-11-29, 06:17 PM
Hat of Wizardry (atunement by wizard)
1/day cast any wizard cantrip with an int check

The wizard class has the most versatile cantrips, and really increases his utility belt.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--5NeYNvh_eE/Ttrx4yiZVaI/AAAAAAAAInI/6a4H0tk9zvU/s1600/presto_hat.jpg

Unoriginal
2017-11-29, 06:39 PM
Then you use the focus (or components) in your hand to make the gesture. Think waving a wand in a certain pattern.

If there’s S but no M, it’s specifically waving your empty hand.

Fair enough.

Funnily enough, I have the perfect gif for this, but I can't post it here.