PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A I don't get Demiplane

Sniccups
2017-11-27, 04:37 PM
Demiplane just seems pointless for an 8th level spell. It literally doesn't do anything that Mordenkainien's Magnificent Mansion (a 7th level spell) doesn't, besides make it permanent. The generated demiplane is just a room. Why is this an 8th level spell? I feel like there's some reason, but I can't figure out what it is.

Socratov
2017-11-27, 04:49 PM
Well, for one, it's permanent as you can always go back. Second, MMM expels any inside when the spell ends, DP traps them. Forever. No escape (unless they can use their own form of planar travel). Everytime you can decide to create a new one, or you can choose to return to a previously created one.

MMM is a portable hotel (and a very nice one at that), DP is a portable prison. And if you can't find a use for that, you aren't trying. On top of that, it's a portable vault, and if you, as an adventurer, can't find a use for that, you really aren't trying.

Also, I'm gonna trademark the Swiss Planar Bank (chaired by the Lich Esteve Marcos) as of now.

Sniccups
2017-11-27, 05:09 PM
Well, for one, it's permanent as you can always go back. Second, MMM expels any inside when the spell ends, DP traps them. Forever. No escape (unless they can use their own form of planar travel). Everytime you can decide to create a new one, or you can choose to return to a previously created one.

MMM is a portable hotel (and a very nice one at that), DP is a portable prison. And if you can't find a use for that, you aren't trying. On top of that, it's a portable vault, and if you, as an adventurer, can't find a use for that, you really aren't trying.

Also, I'm gonna trademark the Swiss Planar Bank (chaired by the Lich Esteve Marcos) as of now.

Thanks. I guess I wasn't thinking. Permanency is actually incredibly useful.

Tanarii
2017-11-27, 05:49 PM
Also, I'm gonna trademark the Swiss Planar Bank (chaired by the Lich Esteve Marcos) as of now.I thought Wizard Bankers were supposed to be Transmuters, not Conjurers ... :smalltongue:

Renduaz
2017-11-27, 05:55 PM
I thought Wizard Bankers were supposed to be Transmuters, not Conjurers ... :smalltongue:

Everyone knows that Wizards don't have their own banking services, they delegate the task to Goblins.

RickAllison
2017-11-27, 06:23 PM
If you really want a Wizard Banker, I recommend the Artificer subclass from the Eberron Unearthed Arcana. It may not be a real Artificer or very powerful, but the ability to (slowly) generate free Secret Chests makes for a wizard that can run very secure safety deposit boxes at level 8, or he can set up free Explosive Runes to protect it!

Pex
2017-11-27, 06:26 PM
Everyone knows that Wizards don't have their own banking services, they delegate the task to Goblins.

Reminder to self. Send Renduaz a Howler.