PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Warlock Invocations-The Blue Bomber

JNAProductions
2017-11-27, 06:08 PM
Least

Eldritch Essence

Charge Shot-You may, when applying this Essence invocation, spend your move action to charge your shot. You may maintain this charge indefinitely (though it does require Concentration), and it is expended on your first Eldritch Blast used after you begin charging. Each move action spent charging increases the die size of your Eldritch Blast by one, to a max of d12.

Lesser

Eldritch Essence

Penetrating Charge Shot-As Charge Shot, however, for every two move actions spent charging, you may penetrate through a single target, allowing you to make an attack roll against anyone directly behind them and in range.

Two really basic invocations, to represent the Charging mechanic used by Megamen. I'd really like some more invocations, to better play as one of them (probably X), but this is a start.

Any balance issues? Or any ideas for more invocations?

Avigor
2017-11-27, 08:05 PM
Nice. Good for single-class Warlocks or those whose PrC's increase their EB damage, but not so much for multiclass or those who go a different route; and now I'm imagining a Warlock/ Green Star Adept who refluffs his transformation into that of a blue instead of green construct, or maybe uses a different special material that is blue for the potions...

For an alternative designed for multiclass characters, allowing the Warlock's full caster level to be used instead of just class level for EB damage calculation would do it. I did something similar with the Soul Knife/Bow's Psychic Strike feature for my Chozo Warrior PrC (as Samus has a similar ability too)...

Greymane
2017-11-28, 03:17 PM
I like it. They're usable, and not in the slightest overpowered. And the thread title is perfect. :smallbiggrin:

I'd always thought of a "Megaman" sort of character to be like a warlock, due to Eldritch Blast. The tricky part is finding a way to steal powers from people.

Avigor
2017-11-29, 07:30 PM
I like it. They're usable, and not in the slightest overpowered. And the thread title is perfect. :smallbiggrin:

I'd always thought of a "Megaman" sort of character to be like a warlock, due to Eldritch Blast. The tricky part is finding a way to steal powers from people.

Very true... Too bad this is less than perfectly feasible. There's the spellthief, but that's only spells and they're fire and forget, you can't recharge them. Sandman bards in pathfinder can do similar, but again fire and forget. There are a few homebrews of the Blue Mage concept from Final Fantasy that could at least get close (holy cow, Blue Mage Blue Bomber! lol), at least for magical abilities. There are also a few methods of gaining abilities similar to monster abilities, such as Totemist, Binder, Dragonfire Adept, etc, but they don't gain them from those they defeat.

Part of me wants to suggest a new homebrew PrC where (possibly solo, as the Robot Masters are always fought 1 v 1) defeating an enemy with a high CR can give you an alternate form that replaces your eldritch blast with something else... and maybe gives you an alternate HP pool, resistances, etc...

Holya
2017-11-29, 10:30 PM
Well if you want to steal abilities. Be a mindflayer sevant. You know the mind flayer perstige class that can take class abilities, skills, etc from those they eat the brains of. That covers the learning new abilities on 'defeating' a enemy. You would just need to eat the brains of other Savants so you could keep learning more abilities. The hard part of that is getting the permission to play a mind flayer.