PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next dreamscape (lovecraftian) familiars (completed final draft)

Requilac
2017-11-27, 07:40 PM
So not too long ago I attempted to create a lovecraftian bestiary, but that project has been pushed off to be completed at a later date. Even if i cannot do an entire bestiary yet i will still try to make a smaller project out of it that can be put to good use. Here i will be focusing on adding additional familiars which can be summoned and controlled through the find familar spell. I have created four so far; the zoog, cat of ulthar, magah bird, and albino penguin which can all be found in this link (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyWE6f1MtG). Please comment on my home-brew and suggest ways to further improve them. Thank you in advance for anyone who contributes!

Requilac
2017-12-03, 10:35 AM
Umm, Nobody responded so I guess I will consider the project completed than. That, or almost no one took interest in the project. Either way, i doubt it is going to be revised from this point so, done they are!

Never mind, people have started posting now. Weird that it received no activity for a week though before anyone else said anything.

noob
2017-12-03, 11:37 AM
At which level can each of those familiar be obtained?

Requilac
2017-12-03, 11:52 AM
At which level can each of those familiar be obtained?

Umm, what are you referring too? They are summoned using the find familiar spell, that spell has nothing to do with character level.

noob
2017-12-03, 11:57 AM
So that means that you can get at level 1 get cat that can teleport as a bonus action at short range at will(ought to be useful in a lot of situations) and have 10 hp(higher than the health of a great part of the team members)
Then it can hit and run your opponents safely if you have the right tools or just take hits while fighting.
I mean basically at level 1 that familiar is comparable to a level 1 character.

Requilac
2017-12-03, 12:11 PM
So that means that you can get at level 1 get cat that can teleport as a bonus action at short range at will(ought to be useful in a lot of situations) and have 10 hp(higher than the health of a great part of the team members)
Then it can hit and run your opponents safely if you have the right tools or just take hits while fighting.
I mean basically at level 1 that familiar is comparable to a level 1 character.

It can hit and run yes, but with its 3 DPR and +3 to hit attack bonus, and a CR 1 creature can easily one shot it with high chances of success. The cat of ulthar is certainly useful, but calling it comparable to a PC is a major stretch. I suppose that I could downgrade its CR and thusly its AC, HP, Attack bonus and DPR. What is the thing you are worried about most, its Hit points or its DPR? I really fail to see how that is overpowered unless you start loading it with spells (enlarge and barkskin maybe?) but to be fair, you could do that same thing to all familiars.

demonslayerelf
2017-12-03, 01:00 PM
Also, people, Find Familiar specifically says that Familiars can't attack.
Just putting that out there.

(Also, the cat's health is wrong. It's Con of 2 should give it -16 health, reducing it's health to 1.)

Requilac
2017-12-03, 01:08 PM
Also, people, Find Familiar specifically says that Familiars can't attack.
Just putting that out there.

Yeah, I was well aware of that. These monsters do not have to just be familiars for PCs though, they could also be used by NPCs or villains, so I wanted to put the attacks in anyhow. Noob did not necessarily say that they were overpowered when only used by PCs, he seemed to being saying that they were a heavy challenge for low level parties to fight too, so I decided to add those to the argument.

Edit:@ demon slayer elf, I realized some weird things with the cat of ultha’s HP too. Keep in mind that I calculated health by CR though, and CR 1/8 creatures must have at least 6 HP (unless I were to increase other factors to balance it). According to the DMG section on creating monsters though, Tiny creatures use a D4 for their hit die, and the average roll of a d4 is lower than their constitution modifier, so if I added their constitution modifier to the rolls of their hit die than their health would be negative. I thought it might be easiest to just use their hit die and not add constitution modifier. I suppose I could add their constitution modifier to every other hit die, or possibly just add it once as a whole, but I felt this way was easier to do this.

Sharur
2017-12-21, 11:39 PM
Requilac,

Would you allow/intend for these to be Warlock/Pact of the Chain familiars? For a GOO Patron, perhaps?

Requilac
2017-12-22, 11:37 AM
Requilac,

Would you allow/intend for these to be Warlock/Pact of the Chain familiars? For a GOO Patron, perhaps?

The pact of the chain gives you the ability to cast find familiar, and these creatures are summoned by find familiar, so pact of the chain warlocks could absolutely use them.