PDA

View Full Version : How to "punish" players that are better at roleplay than you?

Xeolan
2017-11-27, 10:00 PM
Heya!

Yesterday i DM'd the first game of a campaign with a new group of players, two of which i never met before, good people, good players, we had tons of fun in a nine hour gaming session.

There's my friend, the catfolk thief, then the human barbarian and the tiefling sorcerer.

The sorcerer is a veteran player who's way better at roleplaying that myself. He's chaotic neutral (potentially chaotic evil at this point) He likes to bluff to get out of situation and plays like he believes his own lies. He has godly rolls which allows him to succeed in most of what he tries. He's basically leading the group at this point. The barbarian tends to side with him, and the thief kinda gets the short end of the stick.

I tend to narate what happens in the game most of the time, since i'm not that good at roleplaying. But when it comes to roleplaying. I don't always know what to answer, the sorcerer always seems to have the last word.

I don't want to piss him off by simply pulling bigger numbers than him, or artificial counters like zone of truth. I want to "punish" him by showing him that things can go awry even when you succeed your rolls.

So far i've created a NPC for the next game, a dim-witted ogre, who's naive, but clumsy and well meaning. I'll have him admire the sorcerer and be clingy as hell. He'll be too strong for them to beat, but he'll have a tendancy to attract trouble. He'll also say things that might incriminate the sorcerer when he tries to bluff. (Think of Lennie Small in "Of Mice and Men")

I'm not sure how it'll turn out, so i'm turning to these forums to see if anyone could have a tip for me on how to deal with this player. As i said i don't want to piss him off, just trying to spice things up, make the game be more enjoyable, while teaching him that he has to think twice before acting.

Thanks!

The Glyphstone
2017-11-27, 10:17 PM
...talk to him? Artifically ruining his fun because you arent having fun is a negative sum solution.

Skelechicken
2017-11-27, 11:08 PM
There's no real need to do anything heavy handed here.

If it is completely disrupting the game then you need to talk to your player. A real veteran player should know when it is appropriate to step back and allow the game to be played, and he may just not be aware he's doing it.

If you are looking for a way to teach him that lying, even successfully, has consequences you really can just let him keep lying.

Every lie brings an expectation with it. Every guard who you convince you have rank over will expect something from you as a person above them in authority. Every bluff about how powerful your party is has a chance to make a scared NPC hire a powerful and high priced assassin to deal with the powerful threat. Lying is fantastic as a short term stopgap and to get you into buildings, but if they lie in every social encounter it will naturally catch up to them.

Xeolan
2017-11-27, 11:08 PM
Artifically ruining his fun because you arent having fun is a negative sum solution.

I actually want to avoid using artificial solution. Also i'm still having fun playing with him, i just want to spice things up and find ways to put him in trouble in a creative way.

Ex: The sorcerer was very stubborn about not taking his shift when it came to stand watch at night. The first few nights went fine, but then they woke up to find their horses and stuff stolen.

That's one way i was able to teach him that his stubborness can have consequences. But otherwise he's been running rampant, causing trouble, and so far he's been abusing his bluff checks to get out of every situation.

I want him to see that there can be consequences to solely rely on bluffing.

I don't want him to go: "Dang, i can't bluff my way out of this because of this zone of truth."

I want him to go: "Well, i bluffed and succeed, but maybe that wasn't the best way to go about it."

Edit: Also sorry for the wording of the title, i guess it can lead to confusion.

RazorChain
2017-11-28, 01:07 AM
I actually want to avoid using artificial solution. Also i'm still having fun playing with him, i just want to spice things up and find ways to put him in trouble in a creative way.

Ex: The sorcerer was very stubborn about not taking his shift when it came to stand watch at night. The first few nights went fine, but then they woke up to find their horses and stuff stolen.

That's one way i was able to teach him that his stubborness can have consequences. But otherwise he's been running rampant, causing trouble, and so far he's been abusing his bluff checks to get out of every situation.

I want him to see that there can be consequences to solely rely on bluffing.

I don't want him to go: "Dang, i can't bluff my way out of this because of this zone of truth."

I want him to go: "Well, i bluffed and succeed, but maybe that wasn't the best way to go about it."

Edit: Also sorry for the wording of the title, i guess it can lead to confusion.

It depends on what kind of a game you are running what you can do. I'm used to screw my players over six ways till sunday so a snarky smooth talker isn't really any trouble at all. If everybody is having fun then there is no need to "punish" him, but that doesn't mean that he can sell the moon 3 times in a row.

First off the numbers don't tell the whole story. It doesn't mean that he can tell somebody that the sky is green and that pigs can fly regardless of the numbers. Convincing your teacher that your dog ate your homework or asking the doorman to let you in because your girlfriend is waiting for you is perfectly fine if nothing is at stake for them. If evidence is on the contrary to what he is saying then bluffing isn't going to help much.

I once guarded royalty and a general wanted to get past me, it didn't matter who he was or what he said he would never gotten past me unless he had clearance because there was too much at stake for me, it wasn't until he had gotten clearance from my superiors that I allowed him past me, it wouldn't have matterred if he had offered me a million bucks.

So when people have principles or too much is at stake then this player has to get really creative about his bluffing.

Else you can read about how people treat social skills in different ways in this thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542249-What-makes-social-skills-different

hymer
2017-11-28, 05:56 AM
I'll second (or third or fourth, or however much is needed) the 'talk to the guy' thing. You may want to do it just to signal that you're about to do what you're going to do.

That said, lies have a way of coming back to bite you. Examples:

"You're a big, important noble, eh? Allright, let me introduce you to our baron, he would be delighted to meet you." The baron, of course, may not be so easy to fool.

"Oh I know that guy, he's a the best shot in the west! You should challenge him to a duel!" However well you bluff, you will eventually need to put the cards on the table.

"Okay, so now that you're inside, there's just the formality. You know, the formality. You know what I'm talking about! You don't? Get him boys!" Layered security can be a pain.

"Oy, don't believe that bloke! He swindled me last time I saw him! He's a big swindler is what he is!" Chickens coming home to roost.

"Of course I believe you. But you're not getting inside if you don't have your written confirmation. Go home and get it and I'll let you in." As RazorChain points out above me: Believing someone doesn't mean you don't follow procedure. Who knows, it could be a test.

"Of course you're a angel sent from heaven. I believe you! Why don't you come along with me, there are some nice people in white suits with some snazzy long-sleeved pajamas who will just love to help you out." Believing someone and believing their sincerity isn't the same thing.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-11-28, 06:08 AM
Bluff isn't magic. Before you allow him to roll at all, it has to be plausible that the lie could be believed.

If you do let him roll, though, it's a jerk move to not give him what he wanted if he succeeds.

Mutazoia
2017-11-28, 07:03 AM
There is a difference between "Bluff" and "Diplomacy". A good "sense motive" will foil a good bluff. Plus, the target of the bluff needs to have a reason to fall for it, and a successful bluff is only successful as long as evidence to the contrary doesn't present itself...which it will sooner or later. The more outlandish the bluff, the sooner it will fall apart. A bluff is not a con. A bluff is a threat to do something that you really have no intention, or ability (or both) of actually doing. A con, would fall under diplomacy.

Having your empty hand in your coat pocket and saying "I have a gun, and I'll shoot" is a bluff. Saying "I'm an off duty cop and I'm going to take the evidence back to the precinct" lasts until another cop from that precinct shows up, or the target asks the "cop" what the color of the day is....and needs the other person to believe you are a cop.....diplomacy, not bluff."

Reboot
2017-11-28, 07:15 AM
Bluff isn't magic. Before you allow him to roll at all, it has to be plausible that the lie could be believed.

If you do let him roll, though, it's a jerk move to not give him what he wanted if he succeeds.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyRight

Darth Ultron
2017-11-28, 07:30 AM
Well, if the skill bluff is a problem...it is simple enough to remove bluff. For example, you can only bluff intelligent people and creatures that can understand what you are saying. Bluff does not work on things like animals and monsters.

It is also simple enough to have bad guys not ''stop and talk''. So the player would be waiting to bluff on his turn in combat and you'd be like the goblins attack!

If you want a bit more 'social' game, you can add in more smart/clever/charismatic foes...and less of the dumb ones that can be fooled so easy. Even just average level social folks won't get bluffed all the time.

If you don't know how to out smart/out think him....well, there is not much to be done there. It is just a skill you need to learn.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-11-28, 07:37 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyRight

If you allow a roll you are implicitly saying "This outcome is possible".

Reboot
2017-11-28, 07:58 AM
If you allow a roll you are implicitly saying "This outcome is possible".

And, sure, it works. In the short term. But actions have consquences, lying not least amongst those actions.

Geddy2112
2017-11-28, 10:20 AM
As somebody who has played a con artist bluffbot, the simple thing to do is to enforce the logical consequences of actions. Bluffing can be really dangerous in the wrong circumstances, where getting found out will get you killed. Likewise, a convoluted web of lies is hard to keep up. Let the player have their fun and don't look for ways to foil or punish them, but all actions have consequences, so if they do something, enforce the consequences(good or bad)

As others have said, lying and the use of the bluff skill is not mind control. You can tell tall tales, but few people are going to believe outright falsehoods when there is clear evidence to the contrary. Likewise, some creatures cannot be lied to, due to a language barrier, Intelligence lower than 3, and the like. Some things might also not give two flips about the truth or lies, and even if you could convince them you are the queen of France, their actions won't change.

If you are worried about the veteran steamrolling your campaign and DMing abilities, then you need to talk to the player. Be sure to frame it in the context that they are so good, you simply cannot keep up. Or perhaps teach you how to be better so you can be as great of a DM as they are a player. You enjoy playing with them and it sounds like everyone is having fun, so I doubt they would take offense. Also make sure the catfolk player is getting enough screen time-some players don't mind taking a backseat and play super stealthy roles so they don't have to interact as much. In session, if you see a player who has not done anything in a while try to engage them with something. It can be as simple as a skill check, or perhaps an entire campaign arc based on their backstory, or anything in between.

opaopajr
2017-11-28, 10:43 AM
You are not letting setting context fully account for the DC, plain and simple.

Have the player declare their PC intent, and roleplay the deception as desired. You create the DC in your mind accounting for setting and PC action context, and then let him roll if at all necessary. Certain lies will immediately start off at Nigh Impossible or even Actually Impossible, so good roleplay and good rolling is still meaningless. e.g. "I am larger than the world we are standing on!"

Mechanics serve the fictive world and interactions within, not the reverse.

That said, a good liar with a lot of creative backup is a danger as well as a joy. However if you are finding it disruptive and steamrolling the table, you have to do the right thing by your other players, too. So never be afraid to clarify table expectations and get everyone back onto the same page with The Talk.

Tanarii
2017-11-28, 10:54 AM
Here, read this. It might help:
http://theangrygm.com/adjudicate-actions-like-a-boss/

kyoryu
2017-11-28, 02:29 PM

Exactly. A good call is to only roll when the outcome is in question. If the lie is unbelievable, then no roll occurs. Roll only when the lie makes you go "hrm, maybe he'd believe that, maybe he wouldn't".

Here, read this. It might help:
http://theangrygm.com/adjudicate-actions-like-a-boss/

I endorse the heck out of this.

Mastikator
2017-11-28, 04:55 PM

It's worse, even if you succeed with your bluff role all it means is that the target believes you're telling the truth as you know it. If the NPC already knows the truth then all he'll be convinced of is that you are in honest error about a situation.

Calthropstu
2017-11-28, 05:05 PM
Throw a ghost in a permanent anti-magic field at them that follows them around and tells people he's lying.

jqavins
2017-12-02, 06:56 PM
Well, the two things I wanted to say have been covered; you're setting the DCs too low, and let the lies come back to bite him, or even bite him right away.

"So why are you posting?" I hear you ask. Well, it's not completely because I like the virtual sound of my own virtual voice, but it's also because I want to add this:

A good call is to only roll when the outcome is in question...
Not necessarily. Sometimes a good way to make a point is to say "OK, make a roll. The DC is 106. And remember, there's no automatic success on skill rolls."

And a final note: You mentioned that "he has godly rolls." If his rolls are consistently too good to be true, they aren't true; he's cheating. Someone can get lucky on a few rolls, or ten rolls, but "luck" over many rolls just doesn't exist.

kyoryu
2017-12-03, 07:30 PM
Not necessarily. Sometimes a good way to make a point is to say "OK, make a roll. The DC is 106. And remember, there's no automatic success on skill rolls."

And a final note: You mentioned that "he has godly rolls." If his rolls are consistently too good to be true, they aren't true; he's cheating. Someone can get lucky on a few rolls, or ten rolls, but "luck" over many rolls just doesn't exist.

Yeah, I'd just say "no, that's not possible" in that case.

Different strokes.

Mordaedil
2017-12-04, 02:11 AM
Well, the two things I wanted to say have been covered; you're setting the DCs too low, and let the lies come back to bite him, or even bite him right away.

"So why are you posting?" I hear you ask. Well, it's not completely because I like the virtual sound of my own virtual voice, but it's also because I want to add this:

You are a strange person. Of course luck exists without cheating.

Furthermore, setting the DC to 100 is still within the realm of possibility. I think there's a balance check for balancing on clouds that measure in on 80 or so. This is a doable thing in D&D.

noob
2017-12-04, 02:27 AM
Throw a ghost in a permanent anti-magic field at them that follows them around and tells people he's lying.

When the ghost is ethereal then people can not see it or hear it and when it is manifested it is incorporeal and so wink out in the antimagic field(and so is again impossible to hear or see and this time is also unable to act)
So your solution is not convenient.

Tanarii
2017-12-04, 11:06 AM
You are a strange person. Of course luck exists without cheating.
Luck doesn't exist at all. Randomness does, but it's unlikely to be biased over many rolls without something going on. But not luck. Because luck isn't real.

jqavins
2017-12-04, 11:35 AM
Luck doesn't exist at all. Randomness does, but it's unlikely to be biased over many rolls without something going on. But not luck. Because luck isn't real.Yes, exactly my point, thank you. One can "get lucky," for instance making three unlikely rolls in a row at important times. But luck as a thing, i.e. having good luck that results in making most of one's important, otherwise unlikely rolls, doesn't exist.

As for the outrageously high DC, as I said it's to make a point. When players object to being "arbitrarily" told a thing is impossible, e.g. you simply cannot convince the guard that the he is on fire but can't see, hear, smell, or feel it due to a powerful illusion, it sometimes helps to respond with "Fine, you have the skill so you can make a roll. And here are the reasons that the DC is so high that under present circumstances it is impossible, and under all but the most outrageous conceivable circumstances it will always be impossible." If the DC for balancing on a cloud is 80 then that's a problem; balancing on a cloud is something that should be outright impossible no matter how the player complains.

Tinkerer
2017-12-04, 12:36 PM
As for the outrageously high DC, as I said it's to make a point. When players object to being "arbitrarily" told a thing is impossible, e.g. you simply cannot convince the guard that the he is on fire but can't see, hear, smell, or feel it due to a powerful illusion, it sometimes helps to respond with "Fine, you have the skill so you can make a roll. And here are the reasons that the DC is so high that under present circumstances it is impossible, and under all but the most outrageous conceivable circumstances it will always be impossible." If the DC for balancing on a cloud is 80 then that's a problem; balancing on a cloud is something that should be outright impossible no matter how the player complains.

Not in a world based on myth. It is a common thing in such tales to have mortals at the peak of their art be able to perform outright impossible acts. At those levels your character is basically a minor god so physics bending acts such as that should be possible.

Also when I run into a player whose rolls seem too consistently good that is when I break out the epsom salts and test the dice.

2D8HP
2017-12-04, 01:19 PM
Luck doesn't exist at all. Randomness does, but it's unlikely to be biased over many rolls without something going on. But not luck. Because luck isn't real..
You fool!

What have you done?!

One doesn't say the "L" word, it's bad lu... it's just bad!

Now we must gather our cards and dice and supplicate the goddess!

http://www.talesbeyondbelief.com/images/tyche-fortuna.jpg

Please, oh please, oh please!

Papa needs a new pair of shoes!
:wink:

Mordaedil
2017-12-05, 05:48 AM
Luck doesn't exist at all. Randomness does, but it's unlikely to be biased over many rolls without something going on. But not luck. Because luck isn't real.

Of course Luck exists. Luck is a measure of good favor that exists as an intangible force that follows everyone around. It is a measure of born privilige, sense for gambling, and a general experience of fortuitousness.

For an example of Unluck in motion, watch Wil Wheaton play D&D. That guy can't roll above 10 on average during a session.

Mutazoia
2017-12-05, 05:52 AM
Also when I run into a player whose rolls seem too consistently good that is when I break out the epsom salts and test the dice.

This is why, as a GM, I make skill rolls for the player, in secret. I'll tell them if the fail, or succeed. But then I may be lying and they only THINK they succeed.*

Think about it.... If your player rolls his own spot check, and gets a high number, and then you tell them they don't spot anything, they move on. If YOU roll the check in secret, and then just tell them they don't spot anything, they don't really know for sure if there was anything there to find or not....

The same goes for bluff checks. If you let your player roll, they will pretty much know if they succeeded or not. If YOU roll in secret, you can have the guard PRETEND to fall for it, and then raise the alarm/call for backup after the PC's stroll past the checkpoint. After all, what lone guard is going to want to try to stop a heavily armed group of strangers, single handed?

*Obviously, some checks can be made in the open, or by the player, such as a climb check. It's pretty easy to tell if you've successfully managed to climb a wall or not.

noob
2017-12-05, 07:51 AM
Do not forget: if you get a 20 in a spot check no matter what you find you are probably still not seeing the fact that all atoms are epic level assassins hired to kill you.
Yes you are made of assassins hired to kill you.
Yes you are doomed no matter how high is your spot check.

jqavins
2017-12-05, 11:33 AM
Of course Luck exists. Luck is a measure of good favor that exists as an intangible force that follows everyone around. It is a measure of born privilige, sense for gambling, and a general experience of fortuitousness.
I can't tell if you're serious.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-12-05, 12:05 PM
Do not forget: if you get a 20 in a spot check no matter what you find you are probably still not seeing the fact that all atoms are epic level assassins hired to kill you.
Yes you are made of assassins hired to kill you.
Yes you are doomed no matter how high is your spot check.

Actually, considering that there is no Spot DC increase for tinyness beyond Fine size, it's totally possible to see atoms with the naked eye.

Seriously though, in D&D 3.5, the game is structured (in good part due to the ELH) so that nothing is truly impossible save for negating a tautology.

icefractal
2017-12-05, 06:28 PM
Ex: The sorcerer was very stubborn about not taking his shift when it came to stand watch at night. The first few nights went fine, but then they woke up to find their horses and stuff stolen.The title of this thread raised an eyebrow, and this raises another. You're a GM, not a kindergarten teacher - it's not your job to be "teaching the player a lesson". The PC seems too sure of himself? That isn't actually a problem, and you don't need to (and shouldn't) be looking for ways to "humble" them.

Now that isn't to say consequences shouldn't exist. If those bandits were already existing in the area and would have tried to steal the horses anyway, then well and good. But if they only existed because the Sorcerer wasn't taking watch, then foul ball, don't do it again.

Also, keep in mind that consequences won't necessarily change how the character acts. PCs can have disadvantageous personality traits, after all.

Tanarii
2017-12-05, 06:45 PM
Also, keep in mind that consequences won't necessarily change how the character acts.
Although usually character death is a great teacher.

Sometimes you do have to point out where a player made a mistake that resulted in consequences, but smart players usually see it themselves.

Of course, some players will whine about death, or other outcomes, even when it's a direct consequence of their actions. But that holds true for people across IRL too, no reason TRPG gamers should be any different.

icefractal
2017-12-05, 07:58 PM
Although usually character death is a great teacher. Again with the "teaching" :P

If I'm playing in a way that's suboptimal from a tactical POV, it doesn't necessarily mean I don't /know/ the ideal muderhobo formula, it just means I'm choosing not to follow it.

With all the character personalities possible, why always go with the same set? If I just wanted to "win" ... well I'd probably skip adventuring and build the Tippyverse instead.
Or to stick within the dungeon paradigm, pull out some cheese and smash everything. But to what end?

I know some people are really into the "perfect your player-skill at ideal tactics" style, and that's fine, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Tanarii
2017-12-05, 08:22 PM
If a player can't (or refuses to) learn in order to stay alive better, then that's on them.

And if you carefully note, I said "death" was the teacher. Not the DM. Which was my entire point. A DM shouldn't need to be a teacher. The game is already a teacher.

KorvinStarmast
2017-12-05, 10:20 PM
For the OP;
there is no point in rolling unless failure is interesting, and failure has consequences.

Mordaedil
2017-12-06, 02:29 AM
I can't tell if you're serious.

If you can't tell, then you've already lost. How unlucky!

FabulousFizban
2017-12-06, 07:58 AM
if you are trying to punish your players you should not be DMing

Calthropstu
2017-12-06, 06:20 PM
if you are trying to punish your players you should not be DMing

Not true. If your players do something stupid in game, you punish them with consequences.

And puns. I always PUNish my players. Their groans make my day.

Tanarii
2017-12-06, 06:43 PM
If your players do something stupid in game, you punish them with consequences.But only stupid people consider consequences for doing something stupid a punishment. For everyone else that's not a punishment, it's just consequences.

Segev
2017-12-06, 08:03 PM
But only stupid people consider consequences for doing something stupid a punishment. For everyone else that's not a punishment, it's just consequences.

No, it's still punishment. You can be quite smart and feel something a punishment, based on it being something you want to change your actions in the future to avoid.

Tanarii
2017-12-07, 12:19 AM
No, it's still punishment. You can be quite smart and feel something a punishment, based on it being something you want to change your actions in the future to avoid.
No, that's still just consequences.

A punishment means someone or something is trying to actively making you suffer for your actions, usually because something something justice. The universe isn't out to get stupid actions and make the perpetrator suffer appropriately.

Admittedly in FRPGs there's always the possibility that a Diety is out there punishing stupid actions. So I may be wrong in that particular case. :smallbiggrin:

jqavins
2017-12-07, 11:51 AM
This looks like it's headed in the direction of another thread I was involved in that ended up locked. "Punishment" to some means anything bad that happens after a person does something and that may tend to cause that person to change his/her ways. For others the word is understood to mean only such a thing that is imposed by a conscious entity for the express purpose either of forcing the behavior to change or as retribution, or perhaps both. I won't say which way I lean, and I hope I haven't tipped it (thought I probably have). One could say that the difference is summed up in this question: does the universe punish?

For some reason this disagreement is a major hot button for people on both sides (including me in that earlier case.) Add to that the fact that, in a TTRPG, there is a conscious entity called a GM deciding on consequences; maybe the GM intends only "natural" consequences, maybe retribution, and maybe the GM's motives are not as fully conscious as he or she might think.

That argument became so heated that it completely derailed what was otherwise an interesting discussion, and degenerated into such a fight that the an admin (rightly, I guess) shut the thread down.

When people start calling each other stupid, even if no sentence is ever cast in the second person, we've moved well down that road. Let's not go there again.

Tanarii
2017-12-07, 12:08 PM
One could say that the difference is summed up in this question: does the universe punish?Yeah. I don't think it does, and I find it bizarre and disturbing (or some other word expressing my instinctive hot button reaction) when others apparent do.

But that's the crux in this case, I was only looking at "punishment" meaning externally imposed and willfully so. Not as: that's the price you get to pay after the fact. Which is apparently what Segev means? That doesn't match the context of the OP nor the comment I responded to, but would explain what he meant.

When people start calling each other stupid, even if no sentence is ever cast in the second person, we've moved well down that road. Let's not go there again.
Yup. I wasn't even thinking, I just tossed it off, because I was all like, well duh. That's ... not the best way to respond. Or think for that matter.

Not the least of which because it meant I totally missed what Segev appears to have meant, as I mentioned above.

So, my bad.

Segev
2017-12-07, 12:31 PM
I was only looking at "punishment" meaning externally imposed and willfully so. Not as: that's the price you get to pay after the fact. Which is apparently what Segev means?

Almost. Not all consequences are punishments. The determination of whether it's a punishment is whether or not the one "enjoying" the consequences views them as desirable or undesirable. Negative consequences are punitive, even if nobody else is around. Touching the hot stove has a burned hand as a punishment. It's a punishment because it's something you'd rather avoid, and will tend to alter your behavior to get less of in the future.

Eating your fill leads to cessation of hunger. This is a reward, because not being hungry is enjoyable (not to mention eating food can be its own pleasure), and will tend to encourage you to eat again next time you're hungry.

In both cases - burned hand and cessation of hunger - there are consequences unwilled by any external being. But the first is a punishment, and the second is a reward.

If the school cafeteria has rules about eating everything on your plate, and the principal has a reward of giving a piece of chocolate cake to any student who leaves their locker neatly organized, then if Sally dislikes chocolate cake, she is actively discouraged by the consequences of leaving her locker neatly organized. She thus will view the cake as a punishment for organizing her locker, and will strive to leave it disorganized enough to avoid the punishment. If disrespectful behavior in class is punished by denial of outdoor recess, and Billy prefers to sit at his desk and draw and hates going outside during recess, Billy will view the behavior of mouthing off to his teacher as being rewarded. Not punished.

We can have situations where we need to appear to punish, but really want to reward, and choose punishments carefully for that. Admiral Kirk was demoted for his theft of the refitted Enterprise. Demoted to Captain, and put in charge of the Enterprise-A, because his theft led to the salvation of Earth from an alien probe. Demotion is a "punishment," except that Kirk hated being an Admiral and loved being a Captain. So for him, it was a reward.

And would have been a reward even if the Admiralty had thought, honestly, that they were punishing him.

Tanarii
2017-12-07, 12:48 PM
Yeah,I'm find that a rather disturbing view of what "punishment" means. Defining it based on how the person facing consequences for their own actions feels about it, is how we end up with people claiming they are being punished because they are being denied something they believe they are entitled to. Despite it being a natural consequence of their own actions.

Segev
2017-12-07, 01:49 PM
Yeah,I'm find that a rather disturbing view of what "punishment" means. Defining it based on how the person facing consequences for their own actions feels about it, is how we end up with people claiming they are being punished because they are being denied something they believe they are entitled to. Despite it being a natural consequence of their own actions.

I can see the validity of that concern. Due to how I define "punishment," I would generally say, "then change your behavior." Because I define it to be independent of the agent enacting it, nobody is necessarily punishing them. Nobody is necessarily doing anything to them. Thus, "I'm being punished because I'm not getting something to which I feel entitled," ceases to have the "so somebody needs to stop punishing me, and give me what I want" logical extension. By removing the notion that punishment is done by an intelligent agent to a target, people who feel punished have no automatic rational expectation that they can alleviate the punishment by getting somebody else to "stop."

Of course, unfair, agent-driven punishment can be met with a cease order. But it doesn't automatically extend to all punishments, no matter how "fair" or not they happen to be.

Skelechicken
2017-12-07, 07:18 PM
The title of this thread raised an eyebrow, and this raises another. You're a GM, not a kindergarten teacher - it's not your job to be "teaching the player a lesson". The PC seems too sure of himself? That isn't actually a problem, and you don't need to (and shouldn't) be looking for ways to "humble" them.

Now that isn't to say consequences shouldn't exist. If those bandits were already existing in the area and would have tried to steal the horses anyway, then well and good. But if they only existed because the Sorcerer wasn't taking watch, then foul ball, don't do it again.

Also, keep in mind that consequences won't necessarily change how the character acts. PCs can have disadvantageous personality traits, after all.

This is a very valid point. Make sure you aren't singling someone out for playing their character.

The first character I ever played was in 5e, and not being a confident role player I decided to roll random Flaw/Bond/Ideal for my character from the book. I ended up with a character whose flaw was "thinks he's the smartest one in the room at all times. Surprised when he is outsmarted."

As the game went on I decided he was going to take a Nale-like approach to planning. Most times the plans I tried steering the party towards were needlessly complex, but my character was convinced this was a hallmark of his intelligence. Usually my party rejected these preposterous plans, but sometimes I was able to convince them of things like how a 3 person stack with a trench-coat and mustache was the only way to sneak into an ogre camp.

I would have gladly accepted if in the course of executing one of these plans my character died. I would be fine with an interaction that is clearly designed to put my character's general strategy at a disadvantage. I would have had a much harder time accepting it if one day my DM decided my occasionally building preposterous solutions that my party inexplicably still sometimes went with meant I was a problem player that needed to be punished, and started directing special encounters or NPCs at me specifically designed to target my character.

Let the lies have natural consequences. Don't divert resources or change planned interactions specifically to make the character who likes to lie suffer. Definitely don't retroactively put NPCs in a place where they weren't to accomplish any of these goals. Bad behavior tends to have natural negative consequences. Think about what those might be, and you will find there's plenty to do without breaking reality to target one person.

jqavins
2017-12-08, 11:20 AM
Let the lies have natural consequences. Don't divert resources or change planned interactions specifically to make the character who likes to lie suffer. Definitely don't retroactively put NPCs in a place where they weren't to accomplish any of these goals. Bad behavior tends to have natural negative consequences. Think about what those might be, and you will find there's plenty to do without breaking reality to target one person.
Oooh, back on subject; I love it!

This is very good, bang on target advice. But, there's one issue here. As DMs we often ignore these natural consequences of things the party members do rarely. We forget about it or let it go, even though the real universe doesn't, and the in-game universe really shouldn't, but we all accept that it does. The unspoken agreement is that players usually don't do this stuff enough for our letting it go to make much difference.

Now along comes a player who's character lies a lot. Now just letting it go the way we so often do becomes a problem. So now, because of this one character, we change our behavior to enforce natural consequences that we've always ignored before. It's a very thin line between that and going out of the way to punish said player.

Skelechicken
2017-12-08, 12:43 PM
Oooh, back on subject; I love it!

This is very good, bang on target advice. But, there's one issue here. As DMs we often ignore these natural consequences of things the party members do rarely. We forget about it or let it go, even though the real universe doesn't, and the in-game universe really shouldn't, but we all accept that it does. The unspoken agreement is that players usually don't do this stuff enough for our letting it go to make much difference.

Now along comes a player who's character lies a lot. Now just letting it go the way we so often do becomes a problem. So now, because of this one character, we change our behavior to enforce natural consequences that we've always ignored before. It's a very thin line between that and going out of the way to punish said player.

I tend to agree. Adventurers get away with a lot, both because the DM is simply unable to map every potential consequence in the world the way they would occur naturally, and because trying to do so would almost certainly remove a lot of the players' willingness to engage in creative and bold problem solving (I have never considered bluffing my way past anyone in the real world, for fear of the myriad consequences that may arise). This does create a sort of fine line between following natural consequences and targeting a player.

That said, the more a character lies and takes half measures, the more lies they will need to keep track of. I would suggest that letting things go should be your default, but if a character has told 10 NPCs 10 different things, they had better be able to act the part properly or they will be caught for a liar. And when they are caught people talk. These are easy enough consequences to map, and natural responses to lying. If a character lies their way out of every encounter, leaving behind NPCs who are potentially hostile and who have talked to and learned about the character, I don't think it is singling them out to have that information come back down the line. It is literally the world they are building interacting with them.

No one should have to be unduly punished for playing their character. Some people are more attracted to the ability to bluff their way into ridiculous situations in D&D than they are combat. These people shouldn't be targets. HOWEVER, as with combat the fun in D&D comes from risk. If my DM refuses to kill me in combat, the thrill of combat vanishes. Likewise, if my +15 to bluff means I will never run into problems with my stories, the thrill of constructing a social character largely dissolves.

Tinkerer
2017-12-08, 01:43 PM
In line with the above couple of statements might I recommend keeping a list of the top 10 things which the players did which impacted the world after each session? I've found it to be quite the handy tool in keeping track of the consequences of the characters actions. At 10 items it is super quick to scribble down and by restricting it to the top 10 things which they did it allows you to focus on the actual consequences and weed out the shenanigans.

FabulousFizban
2017-12-08, 01:58 PM
MWHAHAHAHA! I derailed the thread.