PDA

View Full Version : Tribal horseman?

Samayu
2017-11-27, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking of doing a tribal/primitive character, with strong horse-handling skills. I'm strictly doing a character and background at this point, not so much making it for a current game. If it turns out well and will fit in an upcoming game, then I'll play it. But for now, it's more of an exercise. So I've got lots of questions for you.

I've never played a mounted character. Assuming we're playing a mostly-outdoors campaign, is it worth it? How much good do you get out of it? How do you best take advantage of a mount?

The barbarian is the only class that has a definite tribal feel, but the class abilities aren't right. The cavalier seems to be the only class that uses horsemanship. So I'll assume to go either single- or multi-classed fighter/cavalier.

Is there a class that synergizes particularly well with that?

Or is cavalier even necessary? Animal Handling and Mounted Combatant? Born in the Saddle would be nice, but...

The only character background direction I've got is that I'd like to be a bit on the mystical side as a primitive. Team-player, maybe healerish. So... hunter ranger? I wouldn't opposed to bard, though there would be a refluff of "college". Ancients paladin? Scout?

Any suggestions? Or if not suggestions, just for fun, how would you play it?

NRSASD
2017-11-27, 11:06 PM
One of my players recently rolled up a nomadic Ancients Paladin. Took the mounted combat feat and Animal handling. He was an exemplar of his clan, a person of respect and importance to all the tribes of his culture. We just refluffed his snaring smite as a strong gust of wind that knocked people prone. Worked pretty well in our experience. That advantage while mounted plus a great movement rate really adds up, so long as nothing bad happens to the mount.

FaceofBo
2017-11-27, 11:41 PM
Well, if you're looking for a Mongol kinda character, Scout or Hunter Ranger could both work, take the Mounted Combatant feat, use a shortbow, sprint around the battlefield on your horse shooting enemies while keeping way out of range. Ranger if you want the real Mongol/tribal feel, Scout if you want a little more burst damage. If you dip 3 into fighter for Cavalier and Born to the Saddle, it might be worth it, however you wouldn't benefit from the Unwavering Mark. If you are really playing up the mobile archer, you shouldn't need Born to the Saddle.

JMS
2017-11-28, 07:43 AM
yeah, I would not go Barbarian, but the good ways in my opinpiun seem to be: Beastmaster Ranger (forget the rules for the companion, can it be large?), Paladin for Find steed (needs reflufing), I don't know, scout?

Unoriginal
2017-11-28, 08:15 AM
Why not go Cavalier with the Outlander background?

It might not be the most intuitive thing, but if you don't like heavy armors you can still go DEX Cavalier.

the_brazenburn
2017-11-28, 08:27 AM
You could go Beastmaster Ranger with a dip into Cavalier? If your DM lets you, use the Revised Ranger, as the original is a bit underpowered. Then you take a warhorse as your animal companion and buff up your DEX stat.

Naanomi
2017-11-28, 09:17 AM
One of the SCAG totem Barbarian option has a minor boost for mounted stuff, so don’t completely dismiss that

GlenSmash!
2017-11-28, 05:46 PM
Why not go Cavalier with the Outlander background?

It might not be the most intuitive thing, but if you don't like heavy armors you can still go DEX Cavalier.

This is exactly what I would do.

Edit: To further clarify. Barbarian is not the only way to represent someone form a tribal culture. In fact a Barbarian doesn't have to be from a tribal culture at all. You could have a High Elf Noble Barbarian form Waterdeep if you wanted. Outlander and also Uthgardt Tribe Member are great ways to create a character from a Tribal culture.

Samayu
2017-11-28, 09:01 PM
Barbarian is not the only way to represent someone form a tribal culture. In fact a Barbarian doesn't have to be from a tribal culture at all. You could have a High Elf Noble Barbarian form Waterdeep if you wanted. Outlander and also Uthgardt Tribe Member are great ways to create a character from a Tribal culture.

My last barbarian was a city dweller. He was dumb, and a really nice guy, and also freaked out when in combat.

Samayu
2017-11-28, 09:03 PM
One of my players recently rolled up a nomadic Ancients Paladin. Took the mounted combat feat and Animal handling. He was an exemplar of his clan, a person of respect and importance to all the tribes of his culture. We just refluffed his snaring smite as a strong gust of wind that knocked people prone. Worked pretty well in our experience. That advantage while mounted plus a great movement rate really adds up, so long as nothing bad happens to the mount.

Sweet.

Well, if you're looking for a Mongol kinda character, Scout or Hunter Ranger could both work, take the Mounted Combatant feat, use a shortbow, sprint around the battlefield on your horse shooting enemies while keeping way out of range. Ranger if you want the real Mongol/tribal feel, Scout if you want a little more burst damage. If you dip 3 into fighter for Cavalier and Born to the Saddle, it might be worth it, however you wouldn't benefit from the Unwavering Mark. If you are really playing up the mobile archer, you shouldn't need Born to the Saddle.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Mongol archer angle, but still haven't decided. Thanks.

Samayu
2017-11-28, 09:10 PM
Ranger's companion as mount... "No larger than medium."

Samayu
2017-11-28, 09:15 PM
One of the SCAG totem Barbarian option has a minor boost for mounted stuff, so don’t completely dismiss that

I don't have SCAG. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Naanomi
2017-11-28, 09:18 PM
Stout Halfling Mongolian pony archer?

Tanarii
2017-11-28, 10:40 PM
Ponies are Medium creatures. Talk to your DM about stating out a war ponies. Totally appropriate for a Mongol-like warrior.

For classes, Dex Fighter and Ranger work, or the new XtgE Rogue Scout. Outlander background works for all.

Also Druid probably works best as a shaman. And the Mongolian word for wizard is apparently Shidten, although that'd probably be best as a Sorc.

Naanomi
2017-11-28, 10:53 PM
Bards make decent archers, and expertise in Animal Handling goes a long way to selling yourself as a ‘horse whisperer’... as does poaching the various Steed spells. Valor, Swords, and even Lore all have potential (Lore can insult other riders to make them worse!)