PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Striking Weapon

Yogibear41
2017-11-28, 02:32 AM
When using a shadowstriking weapon (from Tome of magic) against a creature that has Dr/good as well as Regeneration over come by good weapons would the weapon bypass the regeneration as well as the damage reduction since it would be "emulating" the good alignment, or would it only bypass the DR and still be regenerated by the regeneration?

peacenlove
2017-11-28, 04:02 AM
Regeneration is not Damage reduction so a Shadowstriking weapon would not bypass it. They are 2 different extraordinary (or sometimes supernatural) abilities.

Jowgen
2017-11-28, 06:20 AM
I'd normally agree with peacenlove here, but upon review I think Shadow striking is a special case.

Shadow striking weapons draw on the reflective nature of shadow to alter their nature and overcome damage reduction. A shadow striking weapon can adjust to emulate any alignment or substance required to overcome damage reduction.

It does not have the usual qualifier of "for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction". It just so happens that the things it can emulate are those that occur as DR. So when it emulates a material/alignment, wherein emulate is defined as "reproduce the function or action of", there should be no reason it wouldn't also act as that material/alignment in regards to other relevant functions.

Now if a creature has Regeneration only, or has DR that doesn't match its regeneration, then a Shadow Striking weapon won't emulate to overcome the Regeneration.

Eladrinblade
2017-11-29, 12:40 AM
It specifically mentions damage reduction twice and says nothing about regeneration, so I think it's clear that it does not affect regeneration.

ATHATH
2017-11-29, 03:32 AM
I'd normally agree with peacenlove here, but upon review I think Shadow striking is a special case.

It does not have the usual qualifier of "for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction". It just so happens that the things it can emulate are those that occur as DR. So when it emulates a material/alignment, wherein emulate is defined as "reproduce the function or action of", there should be no reason it wouldn't also act as that material/alignment in regards to other relevant functions.

Now if a creature has Regeneration only, or has DR that doesn't match its regeneration, then a Shadow Striking weapon won't emulate to overcome the Regeneration.
Actually, I'd go as far as to say that a Shadow Striking weapon can emulate any material/alignment agains any creature, so long as there exists a creature somewhere that has DR that is pierced by that material or alignment.