PDA

View Full Version : Pure Sorcerer vs MC Gish

Talamare
2017-11-28, 02:49 AM
What do you guys find more fun to play?

A Pure Sorcerer, who will be able to command the highest levels of magic
or MCing for melee capabilities and taking a more 'Gish' approach?

sithlordnergal
2017-11-28, 04:31 AM
Hmmm...I prefer multiclassing with Sorcerer. As such I have played plenty of Bard/Sorcerers and a few Soradins. That said, I always took the Sorcerer levels to shore up some weakness my primary class had. So I have not yet played a full on Sorcerer.

Byke
2017-11-28, 08:03 AM
2 levels of Hexblade is too good to pass up. My current character is 7 Sorc/2 Hex and he is a "blast" to play.

samcifer
2017-11-28, 01:44 PM
2 levels of Hexblade is too good to pass up. My current character is 7 Sorc/2 Hex and he is a "blast" to play.

I'm the same, but only about to hit lv. 5 and my 3rd as a sorc. Here's hoping he can start doing better damage now that he'll finally get access to lv. 2 spells. I went HB for added defenses and a melee option if I ever get penned in.

Everstar
2017-11-28, 01:46 PM
What do you guys find more fun to play?

A Pure Sorcerer, who will be able to command the highest levels of magic
or MCing for melee capabilities and taking a more 'Gish' approach?

I'm playing a Sorcadin (currently Pal 5/Sorc 4) that I'm enjoying quite a bit. It allows me quite a bit of flexibility to operate different roles within the party.

Byke
2017-11-28, 01:52 PM
I'm the same, but only about to hit lv. 5 and my 3rd as a sorc. Here's hoping he can start doing better damage now that he'll finally get access to lv. 2 spells. I went HB for added defenses and a melee option if I ever get penned in.

It is tough going early on...you are basically an archer with some utility spells.

From 5th level Sorc onwards the power spikes is noticeable.

TheUser
2017-11-28, 02:07 PM
Absolutely love the Sorcerer's progression. Anytime I multi-class it stings because I'm delaying even better features as time goes on. Being behind a spell level or 2 is crippling imho; each tier of spells adds so much power potential and having more sorcerery points, metamagics and feats is also nice.

Byke
2017-11-28, 02:46 PM
Absolutely love the Sorcerer's progression. Anytime I multi-class it stings because I'm delaying even better features as time goes on. Being behind a spell level or 2 is crippling imho; each tier of spells adds so much power potential and having more sorcerery points, metamagics and feats is also nice.

It a matter of personal preference, I believe even your guide has an entire section on multi-classing.

The front loaded nature of Hexblade, survivability, better sustained damage, short rest spell recovery, Shield on the expanded spell list, freeing up a sorcerer slot, more than make up for those 2 levels based on my play experience thus far.

*edit spelling*