PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Possessed Weapon [3.5 feat; by request]

Jormengand
2017-11-28, 06:27 PM
Possessed Weapon [Fighter]
Your weapon is possessed by a demonic or other evil entity.
Prerequisites: Must own a weapon of at least masterwork quality, character level, evil alignment
Benefit: Your weapon is possessed by some kind of evil creature. This grants it a variety of benefits.

Choose a weapons you own of at least masterwork quality. This weapon becomes possessed and is henceforth indestructible. If you lose the weapon, you can spend thirty minutes to summon it back to your location.

Further, destroying valuable objects with the weapon can awaken some of its latent magical properties. Every valuable object which you break with the weapon adds the broken object's value to the possessed weapon's, and no magic or devices can restore the broken object to its normal function - it crumbles to harmless dust. By spending an hour attuning your possessed weapon, you can change it to any weapon whose value is no greater than the total value of the possessed weapon. For example, a masterwork greatsword has a value of 350 gold pieces. If you use your possessed greatsword to sunder a greatsword +1, worth 2350 gold pieces, the total value of the possessed greatsword becomes 2700. You could then make the greatsword a +1 weapon, in which case the value of the weapon is still 2700 (which would entitle you to turn it into a composite longbow +1 (Mighty +3) worth 2700 gold pieces, for example).

Destroying valuable creatures doesn't add to the value of the weapon or make those creatures particularly hard to remake. Even though shields are, to an extent, weapons (and you can use most anything as an improvised weapon) the item chosen and the items that it's turned into must be items which are primarily weapons. You can't turn the item into a non-masterwork weapon, nor can you make it into a weapon with limited uses.

Westhart
2017-11-29, 09:19 AM
Possessed Weapon [Fighter]
Your weapon is possessed by a demonic or other evil entity.
Prerequisites: Must own a weapon of at least masterwork quality, character level, evil alignment
Benefit: Your weapon is possessed by some kind of evil creature. This grants it a variety of benefits.

What's the character level? Also, this should be a [Vile] Feat. Otherwise, I like it :smallsmile:

noob
2017-11-29, 10:09 AM
So basically now when you destroy an adamentine prison you win its value in gold instead of just getting rubble.
That masterfully crafted door you did not want to carry?
Use your weapon to disintegrate it and you get its value.
There is a lot of things you usually do not loot due to how hard to carry they are that you now loot like the rest.
I think I would like that feat.
I mean now when you cast apocalypse from the sky(with your weapon) to raze a town you loot it too.

Westhart
2017-11-29, 10:25 AM
So basically now when you destroy an adamentine prison you win its value in gold instead of just getting rubble.
That masterfully crafted door you did not want to carry?
Use your weapon to disintegrate it and you get its value.
There is a lot of things you usually do not loot due to how hard to carry they are that you now loot like the rest.
I think I would like that feat.
I mean now when you cast apocalypse from the sky(with your weapon) to raze a town you loot it too.

Hmm, a cap may be necessary scaling with level to avoid some abuse like the above...

noob
2017-11-29, 01:53 PM
It is not really an abuse: if you did let a player enchant a magic item with apocalypse from the sky you probably are in some kind of very high op game and the magic item he will get from that will not change much to his abilities.

Westhart
2017-11-29, 01:56 PM
It is not really an abuse: if you did let a player enchant a magic item with apocalypse from the sky you probably are in some kind of very high op game and the magic item he will get from that will not change much to his abilities.

Fair enough, however a cap would stop someone from abusing this. Also, not sure if it works but can you use things like minor creation (or whatever that spell is called) with this to eventually get an uber powerful weapon? If you can I'd add a line that temporary items do not work for it.

Morphic tide
2017-11-29, 05:32 PM
Caps? I'd prefer referring to the Ancestral Relic table and reduce it by about a third to make room for being able to have the Fiend possessing the weapon come out, with the Fiend being able to take the form of any Fiend of matching alignment with maximum hit dice equal to what a Cohort could have, while having a secondary limit based on the current magic item value. You get a flexible, though painful to replace, Fiendish minion that can instead be used as a magical item enhancer to get you some potent attacks.

Edit: I just noticed the clause against valuable creatures. What, do you not want Iron Golems to be high-value loot? Being able to turn into a creature with a specified value would also be a hilarious way to make the feat into a minion supporter, as you can make an Arbalester with crazy weapon enhacements for your Evil Artificer.

Westhart
2017-11-29, 08:10 PM
Caps? I'd prefer referring to the Ancestral Relic table and reduce it by about a third to make room for being able to have the Fiend possessing the weapon come out, with the Fiend being able to take the form of any Fiend of matching alignment with maximum hit dice equal to what a Cohort could have, while having a secondary limit based on the current magic item value. You get a flexible, though painful to replace, Fiendish minion that can instead be used as a magical item enhancer to get you some potent attacks.

Now, that'd be a cool option as well.