PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can the same character use Variant Multiclassing and archetypes?

thorr-kan
2017-11-28, 06:35 PM
I'm assuming the archetype would be applied to the primary VMC class, not the secondary VMC class.

Galacktic
2017-11-28, 06:44 PM
I'm assuming the archetype would be applied to the primary VMC class, not the secondary VMC class.

VMC trades feats (that all characters get via leveling up) to gain class features from your secondary class. You can absolutely take any archetype for your normal class that you want, but as you're gaining class features from a set list for VMC for your second one, archetypes are invalid. You're effectively just spending your feats on specific class features rather than having that actual class.

thorr-kan
2017-11-29, 12:47 PM
VMC trades feats (that all characters get via leveling up) to gain class features from your secondary class. You can absolutely take any archetype for your normal class that you want, but as you're gaining class features from a set list for VMC for your second one, archetypes are invalid. You're effectively just spending your feats on specific class features rather than having that actual class.
Yeah, that's the way I read it too.

Thanks for your input.