PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shifter Archetype - The Plane-Blood Prototype PEACH

Genth
2017-11-28, 08:19 PM
Plane-Blood Prototype

Mixing the internalized change of the Shifter with the Extraplanar Extremities of the Summoners, the Plane-Blood Prototype was concocted as a poignant revenge on the nature-lovers who threatened scholars. Now, the Plane-Blood roam with their own agendas, victims of an experiment that few expected the result of.

Planar Languages

Plane-blood prototypes can choose two bonus languages from Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, or Protean

This replaces Bonus Languages

Evolutionary Aspect

At first level, a Plane-Blood Prototype can call on the strange blood that pumps through their veins to become a monstrous, powerful foe. This transformation is difficult and takes a full round action to accomplish. In addition, the transformation is painful, and 1 point of damage per class level to the Prototype. The Transformation lasts for a number of minutes per day equal to 3+ her class level.

When in their Evolutionary Aspect, the Plane-blood Prototype changes their Type to Outsider. In addition, they gain a number of evolutions. They gain a number of evolution points equal to that of a Summoner’s Eidolon of their level. They must choose the evolutions their evolutionary aspect grants at each level, and once chosen, are set for the rest of that level. They must select from the Unchained Eidolon evolutions and point costs, respecting all restrictions save for type. They are treated as having the Biped Base Form, including the evolutions and Natural armor of that form. They also count as their own Eidolon for the purposes of spells that specify 'Your Eidolon' as a target, and can treat any spell that does specifically target 'Your Eidolon' as on their class list for the purposes of wands or other magic items. At 8th level, they can choose a different base form

This replaces Shifter Aspect, Wild Shape, and all the Improvements to Shifter Aspect.

Bloody Infusion

At 1st Level, as a full round action, a Plane-blood Prototype in their Evolutionary Aspect can feed upon a recently fallen foe as a standard action, which must be a living, corporeal creature killed or knocked unconscious by the Prototype in the last minute. This eating deals damage to the target as if the Prototype had attacked it with one natural attack (typically a bite). The fallen creature must have at least half as many Hit Dice as the Prototype. Once the feeding is complete, the Prototype may manifest one additional 1-point evolution. This lasts for the rest of the duration of the Evolutionary Aspect. The prototype can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + their Wisdom modifier. They may only apply one use of this ability at a time (using it a second time replaces any evolution manifested with this ability).

At 5th level, they may manifest one 2-point evolution instead of a 1-point evolution. At 9th level, they may manifest up to two evolutions worth a total of 3 evolution points or fewer. At 13th level, they may manifest up to two evolutions worth a total of 4 evolution points or fewer. At 17th level, they may manifest up to three evolutions worth a total of 5 evolution points or fewer.

This replaces Shifter Claws, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride

Minor Evolutionary Aspect

As the Prototype comes to understand their blood, they can manifest simpler aspects of it with greater ease. At 5th level, a Prototype can manifest an evolution that their Evolutionary Aspect has as a Standard Action, by dealing damage to themselves equal to their class level times the number of evolution points for the evolution. These evolutions last for 1 hour per Class Level

This replaces Trackless Step, Chimeric Aspect, and Greater Chimeric Aspect

Scent

Blood, not training is the way that Prototypes tract their foes. At 2nd level, a Prototype gains Scent as the universal monster ability

This replaces Track

Hardened Body

Over time, the flesh and blood a Prototype consumes hardens their skin, makes them heavier and makes them harder to injure. At 2nd level, while in an Evolutionary Aspect the Prototype adds her Wisdom Bonus if any to her Natural Armor Bonus and CMD. In addition, the prototype adds +1 to her Natural Armor bonus and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every 4 shifter levels thereafter.

This Replaces Defensive Instinct

NeoSeraphi
2017-11-28, 08:29 PM
Allow me to offer some formal critiques, from one homebrewer to another.

Generally when a player gains the Scent ability, it has a limited range (as noted by the actual shifter wolf aspect). If you intend for the scent to be the standard 30/60/15', you should add "as the universal monster ability".

You have a reference to "blood god disciple" at the fifth level ability of Bloody Infusion.

You have to be a bit more specific when you're talking about damage. For Evolutionary Aspect, you should clarify that the shifter takes 1 point of nonlethal damage per class level (deals damage makes it sound like he's attacking someone else).

Now on to the serious nature of the archetype. You sacrifice Wild Shape, a class feature that gives a shifter combat prowess for multiple hours at a time, in order to improve the power of the aspect shifting, which only lasts a few minutes each time. That's quite a lot of potential scouting, power and disguising you're losing to amplify your power in short bursts. To be honest, it makes the class seem a bit...boring. If you're not in combat, you practically have no class features. I know many of the other shifter archetypes give up wild shape as well, but that's one of the inherent flaws of those archetypes.

Genth
2017-11-28, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback! The typos and clarifications I'll fix in a bit, but would appreciate some advice on the wild shape problem.

1) Would Hours/Level not be far too strong? I'm not sure od the relative power of Beast Shape Vs Evolutions.

2) What about an Ability that allowed you to manifest certain evolutions from your evolutionary aspect without counting against the duration? So you could rock wings tge whole time, or at higher levels, become incoporeal? Do yiu think I should weaken other aspects to make up for that?

NeoSeraphi
2017-11-28, 08:54 PM
Thoughts on how to fix the wild shape issue while keeping the flavor of the class...

Let's see. Perhaps give the class the ability to Wild Shape into the less powerful combat forms for hours at a time, such as imps, qasits, archons and etc? I think all of them can fly and have some SLAs that would be useful.

Genth
2017-11-29, 01:16 AM
Ok, made a change to allow for long-term, minor evolutions by a (relatively) significant self-harm mechanic. Yes it's harsh, but it is healable.

NeoSeraphi
2017-11-29, 01:21 AM
This is an interesting option for you to take, but keep in mind how potential class features you propose might be used or abused.

If you like the idea of your shifter growing wings or gills, that's fine, but there are other aspects of the Summoner pool, such as the Skilled evolution, for instance. This only costs 1 evolution point, so I could manifest it for hours per level by taking up to 20 damage. And in exchange, I get a +8 racial bonus to any skill I want, which is quite a significant amount of value. Now, if you want your archetype to potentially be a versatile skill monkey character, that's fine.

Genth
2017-11-29, 01:22 AM
This is an interesting option for you to take, but keep in mind how potential class features you propose might be used or abused.

If you like the idea of your shifter growing wings or gills, that's fine, but there are other aspects of the Summoner pool, such as the Skilled evolution, for instance. This only costs 1 evolution point, so I could manifest it for hours per level by taking up to 20 damage. And in exchange, I get a +8 racial bonus to any skill I want, which is quite a significant amount of value. Now, if you want your archetype to potentially be a versatile skill monkey character, that's fine.

What if the Evolution had to be one that your Evolutionary Aspect has?

...which I did put in

NeoSeraphi
2017-11-29, 01:26 AM
It's a cost, certainly. But I'm not too certain I would mind paying it. Sure you're giving up some combat power, but how much combat power do 1 point evolutions really offer, anyway?

Genth
2017-11-29, 01:30 AM
It's a cost, certainly. But I'm not too certain I would mind paying it. Sure you're giving up some combat power, but how much combat power do 1 point evolutions really offer, anyway?

Improved Natural Armor, Improved Natural attack, all the natural attacks are 1 point evolutions, POUNCE is a 1st level evolution (yeah... yeah, that could be a bit of a problem in itself O.O)

Genth
2017-11-29, 01:32 AM
Unchained Eidolon costs maybe? Unchained Eidolon is pretty points-starved though, and it might be too kludgy to have Unchained Evolution costs but Regular points.

NeoSeraphi
2017-11-29, 05:17 PM
Maybe just specify a list of the evolutions they can pick to use for hours?