PDA

View Full Version : Poly + Immolation > Poly + Disintegrate

Dalebert
2017-11-29, 01:09 AM
It just hit me. Disintegrate is all or nothing. The turtle makes it's save and it's fine. Immolation does half dmg on a save which still turns a creature to ash if it was polymorphed to a 1 hp creature making it a much better finisher. Also it's only level 5.

If it's getting near the end of the day and you still have your 7th level slot, maybe for the boss fight, polymorph followed by Plane Shift is more fun. It's a charisma save and crabs have -4. As long as your DC is 17+ it can't succeed. Send it into a Demiplane where you've painted "Welcome to your Tomb!" and drop concentration. If you're character is a little less evil, you could put a knife in the corner with a little arrow and a the words "Why suffer?"

EDIT: I just realized this only works if someone else casts Polymorph. Immolation is a concentration spell.

Hyde
2017-11-29, 01:53 AM
Bleh. This is one of those times I have to disagree with the Perkins ruling. "It's a deadly combo, but it relies on two failed saves!"

No it doesn't. Half damage on a save means they're still toast. I like it as one of those silly things RAW can do, but no thanks.

Rant over. Carry on : D

Edit: Wait, what. Why does polymorph work this way, but beast shape was ruled the other?

Foxhound438
2017-11-29, 02:06 AM
It just hit me. Disintegrate is all or nothing. The turtle makes it's save and it's fine. Immolation does half dmg on a save which still turns a creature to ash if it was polymorphed to a 1 hp creature making it a much better finisher. Also it's only level 5.

If it's getting near the end of the day and you still have your 7th level slot, maybe for the boss fight, polymorph followed by Plane Shift is more fun. It's a charisma save and crabs have -4. As long as your DC is 17+ it can't succeed. Send it into a Demiplane where you've painted "Welcome to your Tomb!" and drop concentration. If you're character is a little less evil, you could put a knife in the corner with a little arrow and a the words "Why suffer?"

EDIT: I just realized this only works if someone else casts Polymorph. Immolation is a concentration spell.

Unfortunately the new (xan's guide) wording requires the creature to "die" from the damage, not be dropped to 0. So poly would just end and damage would carry over as if it's a fireball or whatever else.

Dalebert
2017-11-29, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately the new (xan's guide) wording requires the creature to "die" from the damage, not be dropped to 0. So poly would just end and damage would carry over as if it's a fireball or whatever else.

Yep. They upped the dmg but nerfed it in that way, maybe for specifically this reason. Well, poo.

/thread

nickl_2000
2017-11-29, 08:09 AM
By the way disintegrate has been ruled by JC that it will just end the wildshape or polymorph when they reach 0 HP in those forms, not be instantly killed.

Dalebert
2017-11-29, 08:12 AM
So we are back to using the much more expensive, but supremely diabolical, Polymorph + Plane Shift combo.

Get those demiplanes ready for visitors, folks!

SharkForce
2017-11-29, 12:36 PM
By the way disintegrate has been ruled by JC that it will just end the wildshape or polymorph when they reach 0 HP in those forms, not be instantly killed.

really? because they previously ruled that it does instantly kill. can't say i'm impressed with their consistency if they're going to be changing their minds on how everything works every time they're asked a question.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-29, 12:42 PM
really? because they previously ruled that it does instantly kill. can't say i'm impressed with their consistency if they're going to be changing their minds on how everything works every time they're asked a question.

Par for the course. I guess level 20 moon druids have effectively infinite HP again.

Dalebert
2017-11-29, 01:16 PM
Does Power Word Kill still work? I feel like a ninth level spell should be able to trump druid immortality.

UrielAwakened
2017-11-29, 01:47 PM
Par for the course. I guess level 20 moon druids have effectively infinite HP again.

This is honestly better if you like using boss monsters anyway.

Having any creature be two saves from insta-death isn't a great thing to have to keep mitigating in what should be epic battles.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-29, 01:53 PM
This is honestly better if you like using boss monsters anyway.

Having any creature be two saves from insta-death isn't a great thing to have to keep mitigating in what should be epic battles.

If it applies equally to the PCs then it's still interesting. Think of all the resources players will spend simply trying to safeguard themselves in preparation for a fight that will be over in an instant

UrielAwakened
2017-11-29, 01:59 PM
If it applies equally to the PCs then it's still interesting. Think of all the resources players will spend simply trying to safeguard themselves in preparation for a fight that will be over in an instant

Yeah it's just too much of a rocket-tag thing for my tastes.

I like boss fights to have give and take and last more than a round or two.

Foxhound438
2017-11-29, 02:06 PM

This is why I tend to ignore sage advice.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-29, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's just too much of a rocket-tag thing for my tastes.

I like boss fights to have give and take and last more than a round or two.

You could always create a BBEG that can't die, and can only be thwarted or dispersed. At that point, it's more of a force of nature than a creature.

Foxhound438
2017-11-29, 02:13 PM
Does Power Word Kill still work? I feel like a ninth level spell should be able to trump druid immortality.

It certainly does... until they errata druid forms to give THP instead of replacing actual HP, but who knows if that will actually come to pass.