PDA

View Full Version : Is my party too murderhobo-ish?

the_brazenburn
2017-11-29, 12:01 PM
I've been playing through Curse of Strahd for a while, and I get the feeling that my group if very murderhobo-ish. Here is the link to the summary of our campaign:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?540101-Ivor-and-Brazenbuns-Curse-of-Strahd-Farce

Are we really that bad, and if so, how can I keep them on target?

Contrast
2017-11-29, 01:17 PM
Are we really that bad, and if so, how can I keep them on target?

Bad compared to what? The only wrong way to play is if you're not all having fun.

And for the love of god, tell Ivor it's spelled rogue not rouge :smalltongue:

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-11-29, 03:09 PM
Umm... I knew that.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-29, 04:13 PM
I didn’t see anything in there that looked like murderhoboism.

Hoboism, maybe, but not much murder to it.

the_brazenburn
2017-11-29, 06:48 PM
I didn’t see anything in there that looked like murderhoboism.

Hoboism, maybe, but not much murder to it.

I have not yet added the part where the druid caused a diversion by throwing random Thunderwaves around in the middle of a densely populated town square... to rescue a $^#^*! monkey!!!

Potato_Priest
2017-11-29, 06:55 PM
I have not yet added the part where the druid caused a diversion by throwing random Thunderwaves around in the middle of a densely populated town square... to rescue a $^#^*! monkey!!!

Though being understanding when your players do stuff like this is hard, keep this in mind: the only one who has the actual game world in their head is you. Everyone else is reconstructing an approximation of that world based on what you tell them (including misunderstandings), so some things will seem much more reasonable in their particular approximation than they would in yours. It could just be a matter of him imagining this was at night or during a rainy weekday, while you were imagining a bustling square.

This does not mean that you failed to describe the world properly, it's just an interesting feature of games with a strong DM-player mechanical divide.

Also, I completely agree with everyone else about fun. If everyone is enjoying things, it doesn't matter if they're murderhobos.

Tanarii
2017-11-29, 07:35 PM
No such thing as too murderhobo. Not everyone wants to shell out for a fancy place of their own. And sometimes monsters in dungeons / adventuring-sites are just crying out to be murdered for their phat lootz and xps.

If they cross the line to callous murderers of helpless NPCs, that's not a murderhobo. It's not even an evil villain. It's just a psychopath.

krugaan
2017-11-29, 07:47 PM
Easy DnD Pseudocode

Do (while level < 20) {

findBagofXP();
kill(BagofXP) ;
}

rolePlay();

Tanarii
2017-11-29, 07:49 PM
Easy DnD PseudocodeSometimes I miss the days when finding bags of phat lootz was finding a bag of xp. No killing required.

OTOH killing is so much fun. :smallamused:

Chugger
2017-11-29, 07:53 PM
Murder-hoboing is bad, m'kay? :smallbiggrin:

krugaan
2017-11-29, 07:53 PM
Sometimes I miss the days when finding bags of phat lootz was finding a bag of xp. No killing required.

OTOH killing is so much fun. :smallamused:

Hahaha, we had one game where a cornered goblin took a kid hostage.

Me: Hmmm, what do we do? What does the goblin want?
DM: "You all go away!"
Me: Well, we can't have that.
DM's Wife: I cast sacred flame on the goblin!
DM: uh, the goblin's eye go wide, and then he slits the kids throat before he dies a firey death.
DM's Wife: uh, whoops.
Me: Well ... problem solved, I guess. How much XP do we get?