PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Wrathful Sentinel - Hexblade / Arcane Trickster

BobZan
2017-11-29, 12:23 PM
Hi guys, first post in here. I've been reading for a while. Very good content so I wanted to share some of my ideas aswell (not that they are good content).

This build is not fully DPR oriented, but can bring a lot of pain sometimes. It uses different mechanics to play on the field with some versatility in and out of combat. Would like your impressions on this design.

This 'guide' will go from level 1 through level 6 to show character potential and mechanics.

Status (Point Buy)

or (for a more balanced sheet)

Go with Rapier, Medium Armor and Shield for AC 18 on 1st level.

VHuman - Feat: Sentinel (Skill: Perception)
Background - Criminal (Skill: Deception, Stealth)
1st - Warlock 1 - Hexblade (Skill: Persuasion, Investigation)
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast
Spells: Wrathful Smite, Hex

2nd - Warlock 2 - Agnonizing Blast, Devils Sight
Spell: Cause Fear

3rd - Warlock 3 - Pact of the Chain (Imp Familiar)
Spell: Darkness + Trade Cause Fear for Invisibility

4th - Rogue 1 - Expertise: Stealth, Perception - Sneak Attack 1d6 (Skill: Acrobatics)

5th - Rogue 2 - Cunning Action

6th - Rogue 3 - Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Message
Spells: Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Identify

Ok, that's the basics of the build. How I see it flowing on the battlefield:

1- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attack is made with advatange. Use Booming Blade + Wrathful Smite + Sneak Attack (2d8+3d6+3). DC 14 Wis or Frightened.

"Frightened

A frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.
The creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear."

Your opponent has some choices now: Dodge, Action to re-do the saving throw, attack with disadvantage or move away with Dash or Disengage. It's good for you all the way. Landed a good hit and your opponent did at least a bad action. If he moves he takes 2d8 from Booming Blade and you can give an OA, sometimes will be sneak attack viable.

2- By 6th level you'll be able to cast Wrathful Smite 2/short + 2/long, about 6 to 8 times a day, so you won't be able SPAM it all day. No worries.

3- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attack is made with advatange. Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Cunning Action. Go in, strike, go out (or don't). Your hit will be very similar to the smite: (2d8+2d6+3)

4- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hexblade's Curse

5- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hex

6- Darkness + Eldritch Blast

7- Darkness on your sword and go in!

8- Mirror Image + Sentinel (this is cheesy!)

Thank you for reading.