PDA

View Full Version : SWSE and D&D

BardicDuelist
2007-08-19, 11:42 PM
I was looking around for some 4e news a few days ago (when wizards was down) and came across this.
http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e
Because of this, I was wondering if people thought that some aspects (specifically the skills, which are supposed to be "simplified," and the defense rolled into reflex saves).

I was also wondering how well these can be used in D&D3.x (because I tend to DM skill heavy, urban, swashbuckling campaigns).

yango
2007-08-20, 12:24 AM
Because of this, I was wondering if people thought that some aspects (specifically the skills, which are supposed to be "simplified," and the defense rolled into reflex saves).

IIRC saves and AC were mentioned as separate values in the playtest, so I figure that they're still different, unlike in Saga Edition.

I'm a little concerned about skills. I like the 1/2 level as a modifier idea, but I would still like the freedom allowed with the existing skill point system.

Damionte
2007-08-20, 12:25 AM
Dude that's all we've been talking about for 3 days.

Pokemaster
2007-08-20, 12:47 AM
The skill system might seem weird, but keep in mind that 1) Most people only maxed out a few important skills anyway and 2) anyone who really wants to specialize in certain skills like Stealth, Persuasion or Perception would have access to talents that would be a lot more useful than a few extra skill ranks.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-20, 12:59 AM
I will probably refuse to buy 4E if they switch to the new star wars system. I like the current skill system, with the exception of a few skills that have issues (diplomacy and knowledge). I want to be able to toss a couple ranks into things that aren't terrribly useful, but are good for flavor. I am also a fan of having 5 ranks in a lot of skills, taking advantage of synergy, and the option of having more skills at half ranks. There is also the fact that some skills aren't worth investing in after you are able to reach certain DCs (open lock, for example).

I would like to see Skill tricks be a core thing, though.