PDA

View Full Version : How big would this need to be to be worthwhile?

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-29, 03:57 PM
I'm working through two subclass--one for barbarians and one for fighters. The current WIP can be found in this Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZNrDIryGKW0MMtFDVyn7xfN5BcWivgKCJgL2HlWDk0/edit?usp=sharing).

These subclasses gain a small selection of effects (rune-flavored) that they can use a certain number of times per rest (probably INT or CHA mod per LR). Some (the lowest tier ones) are elementally-flavored--either smite-like (additional damage on hit) or aoe as an action (user's choice). These are the ones I'd like some feedback on.

There are 5 (fire, cold, lightning, magical bludgeoning/earth, and thunder), all with the following layout:

Range: Self -- smite: +XdY <type> damage. No additional action.
Range: Area (line/cone/radius) -- NdM damage + rider (save for half). Requires action (so replaces Attack action).

The riders are:
* fire: XdZ additional damage at the beginning of the target's next turn.
* cold: movement speed decrease until end of target's next turn.
* lightning: no reactions until end of player's next turn
* earth: area is difficult terrain until end of player's next turn
* thunder: deafened until end of player's next turn

Currently, I feel that the initial damage of each should scale with class level somehow, maybe by adding dice (X -> X+1 -> X + 2).

The big problem is that I don't have a good feel for how much damage would be the right amount so that

* the various options are balanced against each other
* so they're worth the action/opportunity cost vs other subclass features
* not overpowering.

Thoughts? Suggestions on other runic effects/changes would also be welcome.