PDA

View Full Version : XGtE Redux: No Components Sorcerer

Naanomi
2017-11-29, 09:44 PM
A while ago, I played a Wild Sorcerer who didn't know anything about their magic (saw it as a curse) and as part of my conceptualization about it only cast spells that had no Material Components. The list was fairly limited, and I threw around a lot of higher-level Magic Missiles...

However, a *lot* of the spells in XGtE lack material components. Now, instead of just being a hodge-podge of random magic (and a lot of teleportation); I can build a (fairly blasty, fairly thematic) spell list that is a bit more functional.

Cantrips: Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand, Fire Bolt, Frostbite, Friends, Prestidigitation
Level 1: Chaos Bolt, Magic Missile, Shield
Level 2: Mindspike, Mirror Image, Misty Step
Level 3: Counter-spell, Enemies Abound
Level 4: Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility
Level 5: Hold Monster, Synaptic Static
Level 6: Mental Prison, Scatter
Level 7: Teleport
Level 8: Dominate Monster
Level 9: Psychic Scream, Wish

Thoughts?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-29, 10:30 PM
I like Dispel Magic more than Enemies Abound but that's just me.

I'm afXGtE atm but iirc there is no real mechanism other than DM's Choice for determining the Random Target. Making it highly DM dependent imho.

EvilAnagram
2017-11-29, 10:40 PM
Minor Illusion has wool as a material component.

Lord Vukodlak
2017-11-30, 08:20 AM
Oh better name for Enemies Abound

Call it Inspire Hate
"This spell allows me to exploit the petty prejudices of man. Minor grievance would escalate to murderous rage and oh, the sweet terror when the spell wore off and they saw their hands covered with their neighbor's blood."

Naanomi
2017-11-30, 10:27 AM
A Subtle Enemies Abound is a great way to start a surprise fight... good catch on the minor illusion though, I’ll edit it out

lunaticfringe
2017-11-30, 11:26 AM
A Subtle Enemies Abound is a great way to start a surprise fight... good catch on the minor illusion though, I’ll edit it out

While I'd let that fly, there is no actual compulsion to attack anybody in the spell description. If the target selects a new target for an attack that target is chosen at random. That's wide open to interpretation.

Someone suddenly surrounded by a room full of enemies could easily just run screaming out of the room.

I'd talk with your DM aboot it before burning a Sorcerer Spell Known on it. Just sayin'.