PDA

View Full Version : Tortle Ideas

Dudewithknives
2017-11-30, 09:18 AM
I am intrigued by the Tortle race, I can not play one in my campaign, but I can in the next one so I am planning ahead.

For those who have not seen them:

+2 Str, +1 Wis, base 17 ac that is natural and dex does not apply kind of like heavy armor, and a claw attack of 1d4, they also can hold their breath a long time but I do not see that coming up, no dark vision though, that kind of hurts. Well until i can swing some goggles of night at least. Goggles that kind of look like I am wearing a headband with eye holes in it... maybe Blue, Red, Orange or Purple...

There is also a Tortle specific feat that adds +1 Str or Wis, and makes their AC an 18 and lets you shield people once per short rest.

The question is, what to I build it as.

ALSO PS, OUR GAMES GIVE A FREE FEAT AT LEVEL 1.

Anyone who knows me from these boards or in my gaming community knows that I am very indecisive.

1. Ancestral Guardian Barbarian: +2 str bonus, a nice feat for another +1 str and ac, can just carry a shield for an ac of 20 at level 1, with an 18 str. That and the Ancestral Barbarian is great to begin with. An added bonus would be that Dex would be just a nice bonus but not really needed. Can go all Str and Con and then spread around the rest to be well rounded.

2. Monk of some kind: With no need for monk AC bonus and having a +2 str and +1 wisdom base, and the mentioned feat, that is a monk with a base 18 AC, good hit and damage, that does not have to boost dex through the roof. Could make a rather solid grappler monk, or brute.

3. Strength based Rogue, again great base ac, get like 14 dex, good con, I have seen str based rogue builds, they seem pretty solid and this could make them even better.

4. Any kind of low armor caster, like a Sorcerer/Wizard and to a lesser extent Warlock or bard. Not really the right stats for a pure caster build of one but can do ok with the casting and if built to be a melee caster like a blade pact warlock, or the UA Stone sorcerer, could pull it off I guess.

Anyone have any input, improvements, or things I might have missed.

nickl_2000
2017-11-30, 09:28 AM
Not really the ideal stats, but if you were to get a set of blue nightvision goggle it would go very well with a College of the Blade Bard dual wielding Scimitars.

There is no reason those couldn't be strength based melee bard

mgshamster
2017-11-30, 09:36 AM
My Tortle is a LG Ancestral Barbarian with the Noble background. Uses a great axe.

He does Rage, he becomes infused with the strength of his tribe.

Arkhios
2017-11-30, 09:43 AM
Donatello: Artificer

Leonardo: Kensei Monk (because Katana ≈ Longsword)

Michelangelo: I'm gonna break a leg and say Drunken Master from Xanathar's because Mikey is just so elusive!

Raphael: Strength based Rogue, definitely a swashbuckler even. Although, Sai (that three-pronged weapon of his) actually isn't sharp, but a blunt farm tool, dagger is still its closest equivalent.

Naanomi
2017-11-30, 09:53 AM
Although, Sai (that three-pronged weapon of his) actually isn't sharp, but a blunt farm tool, dagger is still its closest equivalent.
Raph’s Sai are huge, I’d call them short swords; and I’d be tempted to give him a few Barbarian levels as well

tieren
2017-11-30, 09:57 AM
With strength and wisdom and good AC, I am thinking some kind of gishy land druid could be fun, pull them in with a thorn whip and smack them with a staff or something.

Naanomi
2017-11-30, 09:59 AM
Any of the Cleric domains that don’t give heavy armor are good for Tortles; especially perhaps Death (get that Great Axe/Scythe action going)

Arkhios
2017-11-30, 10:21 AM
Raph’s Sai are huge, I’d call them short swords; and I’d be tempted to give him a few Barbarian levels as well

I'd say that borders on semantics. Raph is more than capable at throwing those sai's on occasion, but shortsword's can't be thrown without issues.