PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Drow Spider Summoner build

yodafett77
2017-11-30, 11:43 AM
Looking for a CR4-5 Drow Spider Summoner type build as an NPC/sub-boss for a campaign. I've seen some rough ideas floating around, but has anyone actually fleshed out one that I could crib/borrow? Or would like to whip one up for me, in exchange for extra gratitude points? lol!

Geddy2112
2017-11-30, 12:50 PM
Cleric or wizard is the best bet. If you go wizard you want the pact wizard archetype so you have an aura and qualify for sacred summons. For a cleric, here is what i would do. Cleric loses out on summon swarm, but you can summon giant spiders with summon monster or SNA. The big thing about the build is sacred summons so summoning is a standard action. If you go wizard, get a scarlet spider as an animal companion. If you go druid, spider companion.

5th level TN Drow Cleric of animal(insect subdomain) and darkness domains. Channel positive energy.
8/18/10/8/15/12.
Feats: Spell focus(conjuration), augment summons, sacred summons.
Gear: Breastplate, shield, weapon of choice, fungal stun vial or two, other stuff.
Combat-spam summon monster III to get 1d3 giant augmented celestial or fiendish spiders. Summon monster II to get 1 spider. Use channel energy if possible/needed to heal spiders. Cast buff spells on spiders once summoned, and debuff the party-bless and bane are good 1st level staples. Since spiders have tremorsense, cast your deeper darkness and obscuring mist domain spells to debuff the party. You can use the blind fight from the darkness domain should you need to fight, as well as faerie fire enemies to ping them. Your spider companion is only level 1, but can still web from a distance and flank if need be. A fungal stun vial combined with web from your spiders can also hard debuff the party. Boon companion is the next feat at level should the character continue on.

yodafett77
2017-11-30, 12:56 PM
Awesome, thanks! :) I may swap one of the Feats for Spider Summoner Drow Racial Feat (for flavor purposes for the story), but that's a great template for me, thank you! :)

+4 Gratitude points!

Geddy2112
2017-11-30, 12:59 PM
Awesome, thanks! :) I may swap one of the Feats for Spider Summoner Drow Racial Feat (for flavor purposes for the story), but that's a great template for me, thank you! :)

+4 Gratitude points!

You are welcome! I forgot about spider summoner-that would give you something for your 1st level spells, or you could use second level spells to swarm giant crab spiders. If you do swap a feat, augment summons would be the call-in which case you could take boon companion over spell focus(conjuration). For a solo NPC against the party, you want to have summons/bodies otherwise the party will overwhelm the action economy of your solo caster and easily win.

Psyren
2017-11-30, 12:59 PM
I think a Drow (Unchained) Summoner with a spider-themed eidolon would be a lot of fun personally. Can't build one at the moment though.

yodafett77
2017-11-30, 01:07 PM
I definitely don't want to overwhelm them too bad, as the party only has 4 people in it. But 3 of them have played for about a decade. One is a 4* GM, actually. But I've been building on the spider theme for the first part of the first arc, and want to capitalize on it with this sub-boss. I have some time before they get to him (they're still lvl 2 and tied up fighting 2 Moon Spiders now, and surrounded in Obscuring Mist, lol, but he should push them all to lvl 3), but wanted to make sure I had him ready to go. This is my first time GM's a campaign of this scope, and while I know I wont' be perfect, I don't want to miss anything that should be obvious.

Thank you both for your help!