PDA

View Full Version : Achieving the Jordain Vizier in 5th edition.

iTreeby
2017-11-30, 01:35 PM
One of the goofy old prestige classes from 3.0/3.5 is the jordain vizier, they would be an assistant to a wizard acting as a research assistant or extra muscle as needed, they were typically fighters monks or even rogues but they wouldn't take casting classes because they would be hunted down for knowing magic for some reason.

I'm interested in making a build that excels at filling the same sort of roll as the jordain vizier, the character should be knowledgeable of magic but not gain spellcasting as a class feature (ritual caster and possibly magic initiate or okay in my book as well as racial casting such as high elf), as well as being a competent spotter for counterspelling, possibly scouting and, be capable in other ways as an assistant such as being able to identify reagents perform basic alchemy and/or herbalogy.

I have a slight preference for human and half human builds as I find them easier to role play but if you have an idea for a wizards assistant that uses a different race, please share! I'm not looking at making a character for a specific game or at a specific level, just trying to brainstorm what sort of features are desirable from what classes in achieving this role.

Unoriginal
2017-11-30, 02:21 PM
I'm interested in making a build that excels at filling the same sort of roll as the jordain vizier, the character should be knowledgeable of magic but not gain spellcasting as a class feature (ritual caster and possibly magic initiate or okay in my book as well as racial casting such as high elf), as well as being a competent spotter for counterspelling, possibly scouting and, be capable in other ways as an assistant such as being able to identify reagents perform basic alchemy and/or herbalogy.

What you want is a Thief with expertise in Arcana, and with proficiency in Perception (or Stealth), some knowledge skill, and a tool's kit (Alchemist or Herbalism's kit).

Also, weren't the Jordain Vizier castrated before their graduation?

iTreeby
2017-11-30, 03:58 PM
Yes they were! Its funny to watch people go from interested to uninterested in a prestige class over a fluff detail like that. I could honestly see the inquisitive rogue being the subclass to go for since it seems like a given to have high intelligence.

JellyPooga
2017-11-30, 05:17 PM
A Str/Con focused Rogue of some description sounds like it would fit the bill. Mastermind, perhaps? It gets to Help his Wizard as a bonus action, additional learning in the way of languages and tools, can identify foes abilities...sounds about right to me. Maybe multiclass in something martial to grab additional weapon/armour proficiencies; Barbarian perhaps? You can don the tradional oiled abs, fur pants and leather cross-bracing and/or silk sash of the role too with Unarmoured Defence (not sure it's traditional for the particular PrC you're talking about, but when I think of a Wizards bodyguard/assistant, I picture a He-Man-esque kinda dude).

edit: I just looked up the PrC; the 5ed Paladin could almost be based on this PrC. I reckon a Mastermind Rogue 3/Ancients Paladin 7 pretty much covers all the bases, advancing either or both from there on to suit your own tastes. Yes, the Paladin gets spellcasting, but the PrC offers some spell-ish abilities anyway that can be explained as part of the Vizier training.