PDA

View Full Version : Raw: would you allow elemental weapon on a pact weapon

Spiritchaser
2017-11-30, 02:44 PM
This is probably only relevant for hexblades over level 17, where foresight frees up their concentration slot...

But elemental weapon cannot be cast on a magical weapon... and a pact weapon is not exactly mundane.

Now: given that hexblades have this spell, I can presume some things about what’s intended... but isn’t this a conflict?

LeonBH
2017-11-30, 02:50 PM
Good question. Two ways I can see it being ruled:

1. The Blade Pact says: "This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage." Ergo, it doesn't count as magical for any other purpose, including for Elemental Weapon.

2. It's a weapon you conjure that can take any form, and it bypasses magical resistance and immunity. It's magical.

I think (1) is more RAW.

Spiritchaser
2017-11-30, 02:59 PM
I’m going with 1, since 2 seems almost nonsensical, it would be useful only for non blade pact hexblades who plan to use a blade... but I can certainly see the argument for 2 in a legalistic sense.

Spiritchaser
2017-11-30, 03:49 PM
I’ve just realized something... by this logic, a pact weapon could function normally inside an antimagic field... including doing full damage to creatures who were immune to non magical weapons. I’m not sure I have a problem with that, actually it seems reasonable mechanically, but it’s worth thinking about.