PDA

View Full Version : Looking for PF equivalents

Buufreak
2017-11-30, 04:48 PM
Just like it says on the tin. I'm fully aware that PF has PoW to replace ToB, but are there equivalents for things like binder, truenamer, shadowcaster, and other obscure classes that can be found in 3.5 splats?

Eldaran
2017-11-30, 07:56 PM
Akashic Mysteries for Incarnum and Grimoire of Lost Souls for the Binder.

ChrisAsmadi
2017-11-30, 09:32 PM
The Avowed for Warlocks/Dragonfire Adepts (though it's in playtest at the moment).

Matthias
2017-12-01, 12:30 AM
Strange Magic has Truenaming and (under the heading of Ethermancy) Warlocks.

Chronikoce
2017-12-01, 01:18 AM

Is the grimoire any good? I always liked binder.

digiman619
2017-12-01, 02:09 AM
Is the grimoire any good? I always liked binder.

It's actually pretty good; there's over 100 new spirits (aka vestiges) and pactmaking options for pretty much every class. You can find it here. (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/pact-magic)

Kurald Galain
2017-12-01, 03:18 AM
Just like it says on the tin. I'm fully aware that PF has PoW to replace ToB, but are there equivalents for things like binder, truenamer, shadowcaster, and other obscure classes that can be found in 3.5 splats?

Magus for a vastly improved hexblade and duskblade.

Witch for warlock (it doesn't blast, but it does get some good at-will magical abilities).

gorfnab
2017-12-01, 03:24 AM
The Nightblade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/ascension-games-llc/nightblade/) is a decent option for a Shadowcaster like character. Also here's a handbook for it. Into the Darkness: a Guide to the Nightblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?418529-Into-the-Darkness-a-Guide-to-the-Nightblade)

Buufreak
2017-12-01, 10:55 AM

Awesome, I loved Incarnum. Strange how I forgot to list them...

The Avowed for Warlocks/Dragonfire Adepts (though it's in playtest at the moment).

Also cool. Playtest be damned!

Strange Magic has Truenaming and (under the heading of Ethermancy) Warlocks.

Strange Magic? Is that publisher or book?

Magus for a vastly improved hexblade and duskblade.

Witch for warlock (it doesn't blast, but it does get some good at-will magical abilities).

I saw Magus as more a Warmage, but I can see this evaluation as valid too.

Now, as a bit of an expansion: are there prestige classes that equally mirror? Things like, say, shadow sun ninja, jade phoenix mage, anima mage, etc?

digiman619
2017-12-01, 11:06 AM
Prestige classes are deemphasized in Pathfinder. Due to the way Favored Clad Bonuses work, you tend to do your best to stay in one class. If you want that level of customization, they have archetypes.

CharonsHelper
2017-12-01, 11:08 AM
Prestige classes are deemphasized in Pathfinder. Due to the way Favored Clad Bonuses work, you tend to do your best to stay in one class. If you want that level of customization, they have archetypes.

This.

While I sometimes miss prestige classes, it's nice to have your character concept go into effect before level 6-8.

There are a few prestige classes worth using, but in Pathfinder there are only a fraction as many and most are sub-par.

Dipping is also much less viable, though there are some classes worth a 1-3 level dip. (especially the non-core classes can get this way)

arclance
2017-12-01, 11:22 AM
There are some prestige classes but almost all of them are worse than picking a class and archetype(s) (you can have more than one if they don't change the same things) that do what you want.
Only exceptions that come to mind right now are ones that do unique things like dual advancement classes (Mystic Theurge).
Arcane Savant (Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Adventurer’s Guide) is the only one I ever actually used in a game, adding spells from any spell list to your spell list and becoming a counterspelling god is never bad.

Buufreak
2017-12-01, 11:30 AM
Only exceptions that come to mind right now are ones that do unique things like dual advancement classes (Mystic Theurge).

You mean like Jade Phoenix Mage and Anima Mage? Like the ones I literally listed in my question? Those ones?

arclance
2017-12-01, 11:32 AM
You would still want to see if they are worth losing what a archetype (and favored class bonuses if any are of use to you) can give you if they exist.
I don't think they made equivalents to the ones you asked about (because they did not have both sub-systems complete at the same time?) but I can't say for sure.
I never looked too close at the third party stuff like path of war because no one who runs games where I live allows third party rules so I would not know what I was missing.

Looks like "Bladecaster" is sort of like Jade Phoenix Mage, I will leave determining if it's any good to someone familiar with path of war.
I don't see any equivalent of Anima Mage.

It's possible there is some kind of dual progression-ish archetype out there too, sometimes they weld a version of some other classes thing onto another class with a archetype.

Psyren
2017-12-01, 12:28 PM
I saw Magus as more a Warmage, but I can see this evaluation as valid too.

Hexcrafter archetype gets you a more direct analogue to the Hexblade.

Now, as a bit of an expansion: are there prestige classes that equally mirror? Things like, say, shadow sun ninja, jade phoenix mage, anima mage, etc?

PF tends to use archetypes for this kind of design space rather than PrCs. There should be some though.

arclance
2017-12-01, 12:31 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja especially feels a lot like a PF archetype.