PDA

View Full Version : Help me craft a pally/warlock using xge

kenposan
2017-11-30, 04:48 PM
I don't normally MC and don't play pallys or warlocks, but I see a lot about the pally/warlock and how well they fit together. I'm pondering a Dex build Vengeance Pally into warlock. Think light armor, rapier, swashbuckler type. Athos made a deal with the devil, so to speak.

Stats (actually rolled these using an online generator. then I thought maybe this a good time to try a MC): 12, 18, 16, 13, 13, 17

yeah, I pumped Dex over Cha because I felt the attack/defense bonus would be more worth it up front being primarily a sword swinger.

Here is what I'm thinking. Bear with me:

Variant human: Magic initiate (wizard) to pick up Find familiar (Yeah, I know Chain would score me a great familiar down the road, but thematically I don't want one that powerful), Prest, and GFB. Int doesn't seem to be an issue for these spells.

Pally 6 for extra attack and aura/protection

Warlock 3 for patron, cantrips, invocations, pact boon

Now is where I start to struggle with pulling things together.

Patron: I'm torn between Celestial and Hexblade. Celestial is more thematically appropriate and pulls bonus cantrips, but is Sacred Flame worth it if I have EB/Agonizing blast? Hexblade offers Hexblade's Curse and Hex warrior, which seem really nice.

Pact Boon: Torn between Tome and Blade. Given I already have two attacks from Pally, I'm thinking Tome may be the better option. Who doesn't want to acquire every ritual spell known to Faerun? Not sure Blade offers much other than pact weapon, though it's a cool feature.

Then where? back to Pally, go straight Warlock?

So, all you pally/warlocks out there, guide me like a benevolent patron would.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-30, 05:10 PM
First up: swap a 13 or higher into your Str if you wany to MC at all.
Paladin requires a Str AND a Cha of 13+ to MC into or out of the class.

Beyond that.. What's the flavor you want to go with?
Celestial Patron would be more 'Good' in flavor, Hexblade tastes more 'Neutral' or 'Evil'.

Hexblade would allow you to focus on Cha instead of Dex or Str, so there's that.
Celestial has some decent features. Their Healing Light is like a baby between Healing Word, Cure Wounds, and Lay on Hands. It's theoretically a nice addition for the Paladin chassis. And thr Short Rest slots to Smite with don't hurt either.
...Well, they don't hurt YOU, anyway.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-30, 09:27 PM
Yeah the real strength of paladin/warlock now is the hexblade, meaning you shouldn't have a high str or dex, just enough to cover your AC. Everything else goes into cha.

Paladin 6/warlock x should do the trick. I'd go blade pact for the invocations it has access to.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-30, 10:46 PM
I don't normally MC and don't play pallys or warlocks, but I see a lot about the pally/warlock and how well they fit together. I'm pondering a Dex build Vengeance Pally into warlock. Think light armor, rapier, swashbuckler type. Athos made a deal with the devil, so to speak.

Stats (actually rolled these using an online generator. then I thought maybe this a good time to try a MC): 12, 18, 16, 13, 13, 17

yeah, I pumped Dex over Cha because I felt the attack/defense bonus would be more worth it up front being primarily a sword swinger.

Here is what I'm thinking. Bear with me:

Variant human: Magic initiate (wizard) to pick up Find familiar (Yeah, I know Chain would score me a great familiar down the road, but thematically I don't want one that powerful), Prest, and GFB. Int doesn't seem to be an issue for these spells.

Pally 6 for extra attack and aura/protection

Warlock 3 for patron, cantrips, invocations, pact boon

Now is where I start to struggle with pulling things together.

Patron: I'm torn between Celestial and Hexblade. Celestial is more thematically appropriate and pulls bonus cantrips, but is Sacred Flame worth it if I have EB/Agonizing blast? Hexblade offers Hexblade's Curse and Hex warrior, which seem really nice.

Pact Boon: Torn between Tome and Blade. Given I already have two attacks from Pally, I'm thinking Tome may be the better option. Who doesn't want to acquire every ritual spell known to Faerun? Not sure Blade offers much other than pact weapon, though it's a cool feature.

Then where? back to Pally, go straight Warlock?

So, all you pally/warlocks out there, guide me like a benevolent patron would.

A few things.

1. Make sure you have the stats to multiclass. 13 str and cha.

2. Variant human is fine if you want a feat, I am not sure I would pick magic initiate for it though. A familiar is nice but it is not worth a feat to get, on a class that can't cast it as a ritual. I would look at a different feat, like a half feat with a stat. Or just skip it and take either aasimar or half elf.

3. For multiclassing into a paladin, hexblade is some kind of nice. Cha becomes you by far primary stat and with the amazing things you can already do with it. It is gold. Celestial is not bad at all, it can make your party very happy.

4. I would take 3 warlock instead of 3 like some builds. If you go pact of the chain/celestial you can take gift of the ever living ones and be a self healing machine. Or hexblade/blade pact and take improved pact weapon, in a low gear campaign that can be great and you are never really unarmed and you can eldritch blast while still having your weapon in hand.

5. More than 3 warlock is just a bonus. I would get to paladin 6 warlock 3 ASAP and then, honestly just take more paladin or depending on your stats maybe cleric. Clerics really don't absolutely have to have a high wis.

You rolled some great stats so how about this:

Half elf, poses as a human.
Ancients paladin 7, celestial/chain warlock x

You are the holy redeemer, start warlock and then try to make up for it by protecting nature and all other life.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 20

Level 4 feat: shield master

Fighting style of whatever you want but probably dueling if going sword and board or the +1 ac one.

Warlock invocations: Agonizing blast and gift of the ever living ones.

Cantrips, eldritch blast, booming blade and green flame blade.

With this you have a pool of d6s of your warlock level plus 1, that would me maximized if used on yourself, 2 extra skills which is always great, darkvision, a very nice familiar, that you can channel spells or attacks through, your second attack without have to go pact of the blade.

Sentinel + booming blade really makes them want to stay on you, familiar uses help action, or even detects evil if you have the sprite, you can auto maximize all self heals and have more to normal ones to give out.

You are a smiting, self healing, lock down machine.