PDA

View Full Version : What Build are You Happy to Play Alongside?

mailer_daemon
2017-12-01, 05:24 AM
I'm playing a character that's a few levels behind the others so I'm trying to build a support character. What class are you happy to see in your party (played by someone else)?

Cespenar
2017-12-01, 06:29 AM
Anyone with Bless and Healing Word is an incredible boon to the party already.

Other than that, any role that the party is not covering at the moment?

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-01, 07:12 AM
Bless and Healing Word are good support skills to have.
Most Clerics will likely be appreciated by any party, as I imagine would most Bards.
What with Bards being a great 5th wheel kinda class and all.

You could also run a Druid, since they tend to be a bit more supporty, with some blasting options in there.

Most martial classes aren't too focused on support. At least, not much beyond the 'Hey, over here!' or the 'An enemy that cannot breathe cannot fight' way..

gryffydd65
2017-12-01, 07:35 AM
Barbarian of the wolves clan. Getting advantage from him standing next to any melee fighter is great plus he gets advantage when he rectless rages.

nickl_2000
2017-12-01, 07:47 AM
The most supporty classes I would like to see are Wizards, Clerics, and Lore Bard. It's hard to discount the utility cantrips that a Wizard gets. Having someone along that can cast prestidigitation to clean that dirty window you are trying to look through to scout is always useful. The same thing can be said for Mage Hand. On the other hand, if you play a Cleric, you will pretty much always be using guidance, even if another player has guidance, having a second is still a good thing. If you play a bard, the inspirations can be absolutely amazing

Another decent choice would be a Glamour Bard with their temp HP granting and the ability to help people move safely around the battlefield. It's worth a look.

If you want to be a martial you are going to struggle a little more. There are still some choice
-Paladin Auras can be amazing
-Ranged Battlemasters who can knock down and disarm from a distance
-Wolf Barbarians as mentioned above
-Mastermind Rogues who can use the "help" action from 30 feet are pretty great as well.

Finally from a feat perspective
-Anyone with ritual caster is going to be able to make a big difference with out of combat support

Eradis
2017-12-01, 08:17 AM
I heard that for Wizards, the Divination School is the way to go to maximize the utility potential. Although, A high enough Wizard of the Illusion School looks so amazing his is materialized illusions.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-01, 08:28 AM
I'm happy to play alongside players, not builds.

A fun player can have a terrible build and you'll still have a blast. But if you have a terrible player, no build will make it fun.

Spiritchaser
2017-12-01, 08:40 AM
Dex Bardadin with pass without trace and healing spirit.

Spiritchaser
2017-12-01, 08:41 AM
I'm happy to play alongside players, not builds.

A fun player can have a terrible build and you'll still have a blast. But if you have a terrible player, no build will make it fun.

True enough

Galactkaktus
2017-12-01, 09:41 AM
What kind of characters are already in the group? What are you trying to support?

mephnick
2017-12-01, 09:56 AM
Any CHA characters. I hate the CHA classes and I hate being the social face, so if someone else can do that I'm glad to have them.

Mikal
2017-12-01, 10:36 AM
Any particular reason why you're a couple levels behind the rest of the group?

Eradis
2017-12-01, 10:48 AM
Any particular reason why you're a couple levels behind the rest of the group?

Failed at bribing the GM. (That's a joke, I have no idea why the original poster is behind, level-wise)

Wartex1
2017-12-01, 10:56 AM
Something with quick healing options is always nice, and the best options for that are Life Clerics, Celestial Warlocks, and Dream Druids. Special mention to the last two since they can heal as a bonus action and still cast a non-cantrip spell as a standard action.

arclance
2017-12-01, 12:44 PM
As long as you pick spells known that compliment the rest of your group it's hard to go wrong with a Lore Bard.
Life Cleric is good but redundant if you already have on in your group.

Laserlight
2017-12-01, 03:02 PM
I'm playing a Knowledge Cleric 1/Divination Wizard 6. Other than a couple of fireballs, I doubt I've done 50 damage in the last two months, but being able to say ”Portents says you fail that WIS save” or ”Rogue, you're doing a sneak attack? Have a 20” or ”All of you, here's some d4s, add those to your rolls until I tell you to stop” is pretty fun.

Sigreid
2017-12-01, 03:34 PM
Haven't got to try it yet but celestial warlock looks like good support to me.

UrielAwakened
2017-12-01, 03:42 PM
Anyone with less AC than me.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-12-02, 06:48 AM
Any single-class character.