PDA

View Full Version : The Night Angel - Azoth/Kylar

Arkhios
2017-12-01, 06:50 AM
Anyone familiar with the book series & the character in question?

After a long time, having misplaced (likely stolen by a "friend of my friend" who lacks the balls to admit it) my first book of the trilogy (and not having read the rest) I "wrote down to Santa" a.k.a. made a note for myself to buy them for the coming christmas, I came to wonder how would Azoth/Kylar be iterated as a 5e character.

My memories are faint, but I seem to recall that he wasn't an ordinary assassin, so I'm willing to put the rogue sub-class aside.

Any ideas?

JellyPooga
2017-12-01, 07:14 AM
Urchin Background, for sure.

He was a remarkably well trained fighter, but also had training in stealth, etiquette, poisons and, well...other assassin-y stuff. Assassin Rogue actually fits the bill here, I believe. The whole "keeps coming back from the dead" thing from the Black Kakari (or whatever it was called) felt more like a plot device than a Class feature and I can't really think of anything in 5ed that would model it well beyond DM fiat.

Droodicus
2017-12-01, 07:19 AM
Dex battle master to begin with then without trying to give too much away arcane trickster rogue.

The resurrection mechanic would be entertaining to utilize on a pc who didn't know the books.

JellyPooga
2017-12-01, 07:32 AM
Hmm...Way of Shadow Monk might also fit, as might any Class that can get hold of Pass Without Trace like Ranger perhaps...in fact, come to think of it, Valour Bard might actually fit the bill best here; well trained in combat, all-round competent kind of guy, can pick up his choice of appropriate spells (Contingency + Revivify perhaps?), got the Charisma for all the social stuff (and as I recall, Kylar was quite a "leader-y" and generally likable kind of dude).

Arkhios
2017-12-01, 07:50 AM
Hmm...Way of Shadow Monk might also fit, as might any Class that can get hold of Pass Without Trace like Ranger perhaps...in fact, come to think of it, Valour Bard might actually fit the bill best here; well trained in combat, all-round competent kind of guy, can pick up his choice of appropriate spells (Contingency + Revivify perhaps?), got the Charisma for all the social stuff (and as I recall, Kylar was quite a "leader-y" and generally likable kind of dude).

Hmm, wouldn't College of Whispers or Swords work too?

JellyPooga
2017-12-01, 08:17 AM
Hmm, wouldn't College of Whispers or Swords work too?

Not being in any way familiar with them...I wouldn't know. Perhaps :smallconfused::smallwink:

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-01, 09:07 AM
Swords is largely superior to Valor, at least for Dex builds. Whispers is perhaps less so.

From my vague memories, I'd suggest Shadow Monk.