PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me building my Occultist!

NetherVoid
2017-12-01, 06:54 AM
Hi guys,
i'm going to start a new campaign in a lovecraftian setting. I want to play an occultist, but it's the first time i play one and the only thing i'm sure is that will be a melee one...can you help me build it?

Starting lvl: 5
Point Buy:15
Races allowed: Base
Gold: 10500 gp

Thanks!

Florian
2017-12-01, 08:59 AM
Hm... a bit more information would help at helping you.

Occultist is a jack-of-all-trades by default and will get a broader build with each new implement. So you can start with "melee" (Abjuration and Transmutation) and progress from there.

You cold go:
- Elf (Abjuration, Transmutation) w. Weapon Finesse and elven court blade, progress to Divination, Necromany, Evocation
- Human (A, T) w. Mounted Combat and Spirited Charge, progress to Conjuration, Necromany
- H-Orc (A, T) VMC Magus, progress to Evocation and a channeling Falchion
.... and so on.

Long_shanks
2017-12-01, 11:16 AM
Aside from being melee, we don't have a whole lot to go on to help you. However, have a Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452661-CTP-s-Guide-to-Occultists).

NetherVoid
2017-12-01, 12:22 PM
Aside from being melee, we don't have a whole lot to go on to help you.
I've red the handbook. My first idea was to build a melee one, greatsword and heavy Armor with power attack. Implements: Abjuration, Transmutation and Divination firts to be the party scout and support fighter. The build Florian suggested using Finesse will save one feat I could use for Extra Mental Focus.
My concerns are mainly how to distribute ability points (for both PA and WF builds) and if there are useful Archetypes and Traits I could use (the one replacing CHA with INT looks good to dump CHA completely)

What about equipment? What else can I buy after a +1 weapon and armor?

Slithery D
2017-12-01, 12:52 PM
Take a look at the Haunt Collector and Psychodermist archetypes, which are too new to be in guides but either is a straight upgrade on the base class.

CasualViking
2017-12-02, 02:04 AM
My level 5 melee occultist (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1336526) (not a 15 point buy).

Short version: Shield Focus, Shield Brace. Implements: Weapon, Shield, Panoply of the Warrior.

Florian
2017-12-02, 04:25 AM
For a character thatīs going to level up into the low "teens", Iīd actually recommend using VMC Magus, as that works very well with the Evocation implement to provide burst damage. Itīs also mean picking Magical Lineage (Shocking Grasp) and Intensified Spell later on. Itīs a feat hog, but Legacy Weapon and Arcane Pool make for some formidable weapon.

Iīm not so much a fan of Trappings of the Warrior, as itīs an extreme Mental Focus drain and I donīt like the delay of the third implement. For me, it only makes sense when starting with a three level "dip" into Fighter (Weapon Master) to get some Item Mastery feats going.

So, generally speaking, Iīd stick to not using an archetype, Weapon Finesse and Combat Reflexes, Enlarge Person as T1 spell known, and either VMC or Extra Mental Focus.

Don nadie
2017-12-02, 07:10 PM
I can recommend archery builds with the Occultist. Use Divination, Transmutation and Ilusion to grant yourself mobility+defenses+scouting and spend most of your focus on turning your weapon into "monster-of-the-day"-Bane. Elves are ideal because of the extra focus they get.