PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Famous Forgotten Realm NPCs that have been resurrected?

xroads
2017-12-01, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me a few famous Forgotten Realm characters that have been resurrected/reincarnated? For example, Bruenor Battlehammer of Drizzt fame.

I ask because I'm running a Tomb of Annihilation game and want to let my players know when certain famed NPCs die.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 12:48 PM
As far as I'm aware, only Driz'zt Do'Urden's companions have ever been officially killed off, then brought back to life via magic.

arclance
2017-12-01, 12:50 PM
I think Elmister was unkilled in one of the great retcons between versions at least once.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 12:56 PM
I think Elmister was unkilled in one of the great retcons between versions at least once.

I'm pretty sure Elminster has never died. He's been close. But, the goddess of Magic has a very strong reason for wanting him alive, and tends to react in a destruction-y way any time he's actually threatened. In Elminster in Hell, Mystra physically went to the abyss and laid waste to everything in an attempt to get him back. Then, she sent multiple arch-wizards in after him when she couldn't find him fast enough to prevent a war with Asmodeus. I'm unaware of any actual death, though. He's survived the death of multiple incarnations of Mystra, and was the interim God of Magic for a short time, too.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-01, 01:07 PM
I think quite a few of the gods were killed and brought back. Like Helm and Tyr.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 01:16 PM
I think quite a few of the gods were killed and brought back. Like Helm and Tyr.

This curse would really be pretty wicked if even Gods are killed because of it...

arclance
2017-12-01, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Elminster has never died. He's been close. But, the goddess of Magic has a very strong reason for wanting him alive, and tends to react in a destruction-y way any time he's actually threatened. In Elminster in Hell, Mystra physically went to the abyss and laid waste to everything in an attempt to get him back. Then, she sent multiple arch-wizards in after him when she couldn't find him fast enough to prevent a war with Asmodeus. I'm unaware of any actual death, though. He's survived the death of multiple incarnations of Mystra, and was the interim God of Magic for a short time, too.
He apparently died (but remained as a ghost or something) during or shortly after the spellplague (so no Mystra to help him at the time I believe).
He came back after that somehow.
I never read the books this happened in so I can only go by what I find on the internet about him though.

Might depend on how you define "Died" though.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 01:24 PM
He apparently died (but remained as a ghost or something) during or shortly after the spellplague (so no Mystra to help him at the time I believe).
He came back after that somehow.
I never read the books this happened in so I can only go by what I find on the internet about him though.

Might depend on how you define "Died" though.

During the spell-plague he went insane any time he used magic, and was hidden away from society. He figured out a cure to his condition, and came back to the world at large in order to cure others with the same problem, including the Simbul, his lover. Never heard of him actually dying, though there were rumors. Then again, there are always rumors that he's finally kicked the bucket.

arclance
2017-12-01, 01:27 PM
I just know some people in real life who followed the lore to a disturbing degree were salty at the time but they might have been exaggerating.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 01:28 PM
I just know some people in real life who followed the lore to a disturbing degree were salty at the time but they might have been exaggerating.

When 5e was announced, they said that Elminster was dead. When the books started coming out, though, it was revealed that he only appeared to be dead. I was pretty salty about it, myself.

arclance
2017-12-01, 01:31 PM
That might be what I am thinking of.
I know at the time I though "Killed Eliminster? They know Elminster is popular right?" at the time.

xroads
2017-12-01, 02:45 PM

Heh. Though I like the idea of even the gods being effected by the curse, I highly suspect they would be sending holy armies to scour Chult.

But I've never been a fan of Elminister. With a little finagling, I think I can justify having him effected by the curse.

The_Jette
2017-12-01, 02:57 PM
Just a side thought: the curse is supposed to stop working against you once you reach tier 3 (level 11). So, wouldn't it simply never have effected someone like Elminster to begin with? I'm fairly certain he's still considered higher than T3.

HolyDraconus
2017-12-01, 03:38 PM
Just a side thought: the curse is supposed to stop working against you once you reach tier 3 (level 11). So, wouldn't it simply never have effected someone like Elminster to begin with? I'm fairly certain he's still considered higher than T3.

Not quite true. The main quest giver IS t3 in the book, so it's more that you waited for someone else to cure it. Your options were: adventure and cure it, never effected to begin with, or wait it out.

The Shadowdove
2017-12-01, 09:49 PM
Zaknafein, kinda. Cough cough.

xroads
2017-12-02, 01:51 AM

Interesting. I hadn't heard this and don't remember seeing this in the book. Is this an Adventure League thing?

Requilac
2017-12-02, 09:23 AM
Interesting. I hadn't heard this and don't remember seeing this in the book. Is this an Adventure League thing?

Yes, it’s a thing in AL. The AL rule is that whenever your character dies there soul is slowly being consumed, and you have to roll a D20 at the end of every session. If at any time you roll a 1, than the character’s soul is completely annihalated and cannot be revived. I am fairly sure that the rule is that if one person in the store finishes the campaign, then the effects of the death curse end for everyone in the store. AL has a bunch of weird things about the death curse for this season, they also have a rather strange mechanic of the “surrogate” system where your dead character possess someone and you have play a Pre-generated character randomly chosen from a list instead of creating a new sheet. WotC made the mechanics for the death curse rather odd.

LtPowers
2017-12-02, 07:23 PM
I am fairly sure that the rule is that if one person in the store finishes the campaign, then the effects of the death curse end for everyone in the store.

I don't think that's quite how it works. At the moment there are only three ways to get a character out from under the death curse. One is to finish the campaign and defeat the big bad. Two is to play any Tier 3 adventure. (That means unless you're working on the ToA hardcover, the curse only applies to characters under level 11.) Three is to wait until the first Tier 3 adventures for Season 7 come out early next year. No one's quite sure what happens at that point, but that's what the AL folks have said.

Powers &8^]

LtPowers
2017-12-02, 07:25 PM

They've come back, but not really via resurrection magic. Gods work under different rules.

Powers &8^]