PDA

View Full Version : Would you multiclass?

zylodrizzt
2017-12-01, 12:51 PM
I have chosen a goblin artificer gunsmith with this version of artificer https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5pha0j/5e_homebrew_ua_artificer_revised_mechanist/

I'm filling in as a rogue sort of role and kinda blaster as well. I chose urchin as my background.

I've thought about ranger for archery and cool ranged spells. Don't know the subclass I would pick but fairly sure revised is allowed.

I've thought about rougue for expertise and possibly scout 3rd level feature.

I've thought about fighter for similiar reason to ranger. Not sure subclass.

I've thought about nomad mystic for int synergy.

I haven't given much thought to wizard but possibly good synergy there.

I've thought about bard for similiar reasons to rogue.

I've the stats to multi into any of these.

The idea is that this goblin proved himself a capable craftsmen and was taken on as sort of an apprentice to an adventuring group when they seen his gun and therefore potential. He is a coward and of course will remain in the back. I convinced the dm (unintentionally) that the artificer kinda gets shafted in the spell department so he ruled I get a wizard cantrip (besides mending). He has not confirmed if it's like eldritch knight and arcane trickster just yet.

Two cantrips I've been considering is mold earth and shocking grasp.

He also mentioned that I could offer suggestions on more spells to the short list. Any suggestions?

I plan to take sharpshooter feat. Any other feat suggestions?

Currently 2nd level.

Any additional information you need?

QuintonBeck
2017-12-01, 03:10 PM
Looks like a fun sniper. I would stick with Gunsmith Artificer until 6th (possibly going up to 9th) and then put the rest of my levels in Rogue.

At Level 6 in Artificer take the Extendable Stand gun mod. Then proceed to establish your MO as setting up a sniper spot between 150 and 300 ft away from the encounter area (You're taking Sharpshooter so no distance penalties), or staying as far back as you can in a surprise fight, lying down on your belly to give any ranged attackers disadvantage against you and each round blast one bad guy with advantage from your Extendable Stand for 2d6 Piercing + 2d6 Thunder + Sneak Attack. More Rogue levels increases Sneak Attack damage and gives you cool Rogue features. Taking Gunsmith up to 9 gives you 2d6 more Thunder Damage for your Thunder Monger attack (helping mitigate the SA loss from less Rogue levels and maybe even outperforming them) and allows you to pick up another gun mod. I suspect the Integrated Magazine might be useful just so you don't have to use your Bonus to reload every round and with Rogue levels you will have some other useful Bonus Actions available.

Gunsmith artificers put all their damage on their one roll to hit each round. Levels in Fighter or Ranger might grant additional attacks but the wording of Thunder Monger means every attack after the first can only be 2d6 (Not bad at all, Greatsword damage at range and all but still) and you still need to manage reloading. Packing on Rogue levels with a consistent source for advantage outside your party members provides you the criteria for SA to trigger consistently and lends you a lot more striking damage per shot as Rogue is another class that focuses on spike damage from one good hit.

At Level 10 with 6 Levels of Gunsmith and 4 Rogue you're looking at 2d6 Piercing + 2d6 Thunder + 2d6 SA (6d6 total) with Extendable Stand giving you the ability to set yourself up with Advantage (and thus triggering SA) without party assistance. With party members being near enemies you won't even always need to use your stand to get the SA dice (though it's still useful for the Advantage)

At Level 10 with 9 Levels of Gunsmith and 1 Rogue you're looking at 2d6 Piercing + 4d6 Thunder + 1d6 SA (7d6 total) with Extendable Stand still as well as Integrated Magazine to give your Bonus Action a little more flexibility.

zylodrizzt
2017-12-01, 06:01 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. This is likely going to 20th level.

Edit: what rogue subclass is best? Right now I'm thinking arcane trickster.