PDA

View Full Version : Optimized master transmogrifist(with Shapechange)

LaRayna
2017-12-01, 08:45 PM
Hey folks, I decided I wanted to try something new and optimize a master transmogrifist. I've looked up a lot of the cheese stuff for optimizing one and getting shape change and I was curious as to your guys thoughts. I wondered if a transmutation domain wizard would make it easier at all, probably not, and reserves of strength from dragonlance is good to use if it helps.

Vizzerdrix
2017-12-02, 10:26 AM
The last I heard about this class was that the lost caster levels made you far, far worse at what it does than if you had just gone straight base caster.

Jack_Simth
2017-12-02, 11:24 AM
The last I heard about this class was that the lost caster levels made you far, far worse at what it does than if you had just gone straight base caster.
In general, this is true. However:

Sorcerer base (so losing Int is OK) + Reserves of Strength + Polymorph Any Object + CL 16 + Favored Shape (Ocean Giant) (Monster Manual II) + Infinite Variety + Zodar (Fiend Folio) = Permanently Immune to bludgeoning + Everything except Bludgeoning = Total RAW immunity.

noob
2017-12-02, 11:33 AM
Technically you can also just cast shapechange twice and then get immunity to everything since shapechange does not makes you lose your extraordinary particularities.(this abuse of the shapechange spell is called shapechange stack)

Nifft
2017-12-02, 12:02 PM
Technically you can also just cast shapechange twice and then get immunity to everything since shapechange does not makes you lose your extraordinary particularities.(this abuse of the shapechange spell is called shapechange stack)

In this case I don't even think it's that cheesy -- you're spending two level 9 spells on it, after all.

Hellpyre
2017-12-02, 12:17 PM

You can't stack the same effect from a given source twice. That isn't something you can do within the rules, technically or otherwise.

noob
2017-12-02, 12:28 PM
You gain a feat every three levels.
It is all feats from the same source.
Yet you can get more than one feat from gaining levels.
Here we are speaking of casting two shape change and each one gives a different particularity which is exactly the same thing as gaining three levels twice for getting two different feats.
So now I know that gaining multiple feats from gaining levels is forbidden at your table.

LaRayna
2017-12-02, 12:55 PM
Slightly off track. I'm more or less looking for the easiest way to get and keep Shapechange as a master-transmogrifist

Nifft
2017-12-02, 12:58 PM
Slightly off track. I'm more or less looking for the easiest way to get and keep Shapechange as a master-transmogrifist

Gestalt.

Do it so you don't lose any caster progression.

Otherwise, MT10 loses 4 caster levels, and you don't get any Shapechange.

noob
2017-12-02, 01:01 PM
If you have enough la buyoff then you can go red ether-gaunt.(and with 6 hit dice have 8 wizard casting)

LaRayna
2017-12-02, 05:37 PM
Gestalt.

Do it so you don't lose any caster progression.

Otherwise, MT10 loses 4 caster levels, and you don't get any Shapechange.

Not quite. If I went domain wizard with versatile spellcaster, could I not then use a two level eight spells to bump up to Shapechange which is the level nine transmutation domain spell

Nifft
2017-12-02, 05:45 PM
Not quite. If I went domain wizard with versatile spellcaster, could I not then use a two level eight spells to bump up to Shapechange which is the level nine transmutation domain spell

You could not.

Wizards are not spontaneous casters.

Sorry, Shapechange is not a Divination.

noob
2017-12-02, 06:02 PM
But...
Is not getting to know how to cast a spell earlier a form of divination?
Also sorcerers lose the spontaneous caster status quite often due to how weird is the definition of spontaneous caster in the rule compendium: sorcerers barely qualify.

LaRayna
2017-12-03, 07:34 AM
You could not.

Wizards are not spontaneous casters.

Sorry, Shapechange is not a Divination.

As far as I've always been told, you don't have to prepare domain spells if you only have one domain

Rebel7284
2017-12-04, 12:18 AM
With enough shenanigans, you can get infinite variety at level 20.
1. If your DM allows Ur Priest to count as an arcane class with Alternate Spell Source or Southern Magician or some such, this becomes easy.

2. This one is a bit trickier
Human Planar(?) Sorcerer 6/Eldrich Master 2[Dragon #280]/Nar Demonbinder 1/Master Transmogrifist 10/Eldrich Master +1
Feats:
H. Heighten Spell
1. Versatile Spellcaster
3. Spell Focus(Conjuration)
Otyugh hole: Iron Will
6. Eschew Materials
9. Arcane Disciple: Transformation Domain

You are using early entry into Nar Demonbinder. Adding the needed spells with a domain, and then using
Spell Boost to get a 9th level spell.