PDA

View Full Version : What's a Hexblade/Paladin to do? Campaign to possibly exceed 20th lvl

Degwerks
2017-12-01, 09:33 PM
Current campaign we are at 13th level. I'm a 11th level Hexblade - 2nd level Paladin.
Our campaign is currently facing a lot of demons and some psycho nut-job from the Shadowfel
The campaign will make it to 20th by the conclusion of getting the nutjob from the shadowfel completely dead-dead-dead.
Then another DM will take over and this new campaign with same characters will span several planes and focus on a Lich and his undead cronies and devils and a few other planes.
His phylactery will be spread across planes is my guess.

I'm planning on taking Paladin to 6th and going for Oath of Vengeance. That part isn't going to change. Currently I've got a custom item that gives me +1 Warlock slot per short rest, so as an 11th level Lock I've got 4/short rest.

What I've got a decision to make about is, Do I want to go 14th Hexblade and 6 Paladin? OR Hexblade 11/ Paladin 6/ Divine Soul 3? OR Hexblade 11/ Paladin 9?
14th Hex gives me Curse movement and a 7th lvl spell/long rest and 1 more spell & Invocation known. Hex 11 Pal 9 gives me 3rd lvl paladin spells...
I'm leaning more on Hex 11/Pal 6/DS 3.
But dipping 3 levels of Divine Soul gives me the +2d4/short or long rest to a failed save/attack roll, a free 1st lvl cleric spell, 3 Spell Points + 2 Metamagic and 1st & 2nd level Cleric or Sorcerer spell choices. With a Con Save of +8 or more I can skip a long rest and do some Coffeelock things to grab a lot of extra 2nd level spell slots by skipping the 1st long rest and resting the 2nd day etc... going a every other day rest deal unless I need that long rest for something better. lots of slots for Hex, Shield, Smite spells, Cure, healing word, Blur, Misty Step, Hellish Rebuke, Darkness, Earthbind, Absorb Elements, Dragon's Breath etc...

Specter
2017-12-01, 10:27 PM
Hex14/Pal6. +CHA to saves is better than most classes' capstones. If you have a high AC, as you should, then there isn't much that can hurt you.

Unless you really want a Cleric spell, you don't need to bother with Divine Soul.

Arcangel4774
2017-12-01, 10:54 PM
Assuming you spend a lotbof time in melee id recommend taking atleast 1 more level of warlock after paladin 5 to trade out that second attack invocation for somethint new. Of your choices that would be the warlock 14 paladin 6

Degwerks
2017-12-02, 08:27 AM
Soon in our campaign we are going to lose our healer, who has been a Mystic. So part of the reason that dipping into Divine Soul has peeked my interest. Also having a 1 minute long upcasted Spiritual Weapon cast would be a great increase in my dpr for the round and save my 5th level slots if I roll a critical. Or use on AOE & Control spells but most likely using those 5th level slots for Aid spells. I might also grab Inspiring Leader feat too.

sithlordnergal
2017-12-02, 08:29 PM
I would go Hexblade 11 / Paladin 9. 3rd level paladin spells are a great boon, and you will end up with two ASI's.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-02, 08:46 PM
Bruh. You are literally one level away from Lifedrinker, an invocation most warlocks never see espescially if they multiclass.

14/6 All the way is what i would do, getting to 12 in hexblade before going into paladin. You could do 12/8 if you want that extra paladin feature and more asi. Oathbeaker wouldn't be a bad choice considering your specter would get your CHA to damage (However the aura of hate gives this bonus to all fiends and undead not just allies).

Either way i would definitely add the static +5 to every attack over sorcerer levels. 14 level hexblade features are really good too.

Edit: Idk your stats but Hexblade 12/Paladin 2/ Death Cleric 6 is also good. 2/sr +17 to a melee attack and all your necrotic damage from cleric spells and features ignore resistance. You can kinda twin cast necromancy cantrips like spare the dying chill touch and toll the dead. And you get all the cleric awesomeness too like healing and spiritual weapon.

Degwerks
2017-12-02, 09:41 PM
Alignment is Neutral, follows Tempus for the most part. Stats: int & wis 12, str 13, con & dex 14, cha 20.

Hates undead. Will be fighting minions of Orcus in our campaign and a few devils later and some shadowfel plane hopping. I refluff/flavor the whole Specter bit with my patron giving the soul of my enemy 1 last chance to make amends to our party before departing to the afterlife. Kinda like its not undead really.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-02, 10:56 PM
Alignment is Neutral, follows Tempus for the most part. Stats: int & wis 12, str 13, con & dex 14, cha 20.

Hates undead. Will be fighting minions of Orcus in our campaign and a few devils later and some shadowfel plane hopping. I refluff/flavor the whole Specter bit with my patron giving the soul of my enemy 1 last chance to make amends to our party before departing to the afterlife. Kinda like its not undead really.

An interesting take, one i would personally not ever do, but very cool none the less. Replace Death cleric with Light Cleric, at warlock 12 (next level) put +2 in wisdom, and 12/2/6 is still good. You can burst with light with channel divinity 2/rest and ward allies as well. You also grab some nice fire spells.

I have another option though. How often are you casting spells? Because Zealot Barbarian would be pretty good. 12/2/6 split, gives you extra attack so frees an invocation, adds necrotic or radiant damage to your first attack each turn when raging (1d6+6), and you are now slightly tougher. Now if you use charisma for attacks then you dont get rage bonus but since that amounts to still being 1 less damage than if you used Charisma you shouldn't care. All other abilties will work with rage so you're effectively off the hook.

Degwerks
2017-12-03, 03:49 PM
I cast spells a lot actually so barbarian is out and we have a player for that class now.

Cleric isn't screaming out to me though.

A lot of the time I have been casting Counterspells and getting fairly lucky with my rolls to counter above 5th level. Banishment too.

What would be cool would be grabbing some levels in bard. The bonus to counterspelling and initiative would be very useful to me. I am going close to last in my turn in the round as it is. Cutting Words from Lore Bard would help the team a bit. Flourish from Swords would be great for me in melee where I normally am. Can't remember what Whisper bard can do right now.

Vaz
2017-12-03, 04:33 PM
If you like Casting Spells, and you've not had issues with needing saves, just go pure Warlock. That said, I like Paladin 2nds, (Find Steed), so Pal 5 is awesome, IMHO, but the more Warlock you get the better caster you are.

I'm a Conquer 5/Hexb 13 Shield Master, but am a bit more Smite happy (even without Elven Acc) charging into combat knocking over 3 opponents a turn.

Spiritchaser
2017-12-03, 05:00 PM
A lot of the time I have been casting Counterspells and getting fairly lucky with my rolls to counter above 5th level. Banishment too.

I wouldn’t want to down sell how potent that 6th level paladin aura is at countering spells on its own... but...

There is another cool option.

Glibness gives you a fixed 15 on charisma checks for an hour without concentration. That’s automatic success at countering anything. That’s better than an abjurer can do...

Would I take this over paladin 6?
Normally no... but if you find you’re the counterspell guy... maybe.

Degwerks
2017-12-04, 05:04 AM
I wouldn’t want to down sell how potent that 6th level paladin aura is at countering spells on its own... but...

There is another cool option.

Glibness gives you a fixed 15 on charisma checks for an hour without concentration. That’s automatic success at countering anything. That’s better than an abjurer can do...

Would I take this over paladin 6?
Normally no... but if you find you’re the counterspell guy... maybe.

Thank you! I have always glossed over the spell description for Glibness, thinking it just for bluff etc... never realizing its potential for anything else. That's pretty amazing.

No matter what I do now though, I'm going the minimum of Warlock 11/Paladin 6.

Just need to decide my last 3 levels.

Degwerks
2017-12-04, 12:37 PM
Forgot to mention that I have a Holy Avenger already.