PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Requesting Feedback for encounter design.

Metahuman1
2017-12-02, 04:26 AM
*Ahem.* My Players Stay OUT!!!

With that out of the way.

So, I'm running a monster campaign, and the party have come up against there first big boss fight.

They've been working through a dungeon getting trolled by a Will-O-Whisp Bard (It's only got like 1 level of Bard, juuuuuuuust enough to putz with them as long as it doesn't get and stay committed to a prolonged fight.), and they've finally gotten to the bottom level were there going to have there big fight with it.

Said Will-O-Whisp has used necromantic magic from the dungeon's creators to animate minions.

I described a squad of goblin skeletons with a mix of bows, TWF, Swords and Shields and Pole Arms, A Dungeonbred Pegasus Skeleton being ridden by a Kobolt Archer who also has a lance available. (they don't know the Arrows have Alchemical Acid Damage. 1d4 and 1d4 following round.) An Oger Mage Skeleton (I've tanked it up some cause big and fairly optimized party.), A Gnome Skeleton who's made for grappling with improbable weapons (I have a specific player in mind for that one. The logic is the Whisp has taken to trolling that character in particular. Note: Not me as the DM. The Whisp as a character and being in the world. Other characters ad beings in the world have been either very friendly and helpful to him, or trolled or been friendly and helpful to other party members, as was suitable to the situations and characters involved. ), and the Whisp, which is going to be using the local magics to use Inspire courage to boost them, and harrying the party.

Big underground stone room, heavily protected vault door at one end, the entrance the party used with an as yet unexplored chest in the other, pillars about for cover, lot's of room for flying combat, and a massive, massive, MASSIVE pit and pile of bones of deceased things of all description's over on one side. And a pipe organ the Whisp has been using on the other to putz with them but that's more flavor than anything.

The party just hit level 4.

The party are going in fully rested.

The party have been allowed to pick up new spells were applicable and prepair fresh spells for the day before this.

The party are going in at full HP.

The party are going in forewarned of almost everything I've mentioned. (They don't know about acid arrows, the mage skeleton being more tanky, the bardic music affecting undead, or the gnome skeleton being a grappler.)

They have been warned, very clearly, several times, and will be one or two more times before the fight starts, that kid gloves are OFF. They are not going to have punches pulled, there characters can die, have back ups ready. No soft ball during this fight.

They have been given time to plan before the fight starts.

They have, currently, a route to retreat, if they don't get wasted in terms of positioning due to stupidity, I intend for them to maintain a viable run away route.

Alright. All that established.

I am thinking of having a mechanic, were in, more Undead start spawning the longer the fight goes on. The fight ends when the Whisp either dies or flees. It can flee cause it personally has taken too much of a beating (it does NOT have self healing.), or recognizes it's forces are too badly numerically beat down to do anything more then give it a round or two to get away.

Prior to that however, I'm thinking after round 3, more undead are going to start rising out of the big pit. Every round some little super low HP and AC ankle biter types will rise. (I'm thinking something like 1d4 or 1d4+1 or something.) and join in. Every 5 rounds, something specialized will come out. Like a bigger bruiser or something with some limited low level magic of it's own or something mounted. Something of that sort.

The idea is to make the fight hard for a high power for there level and high numbers (I've got like, 8 players.) for there level of 4. But not to make it overwhelming or impossible if they fight smart.

Do you guys think this would be excessive, or that this would be a reasonable thing to have coming out?

zlefin
2017-12-02, 07:52 AM
that sounds reasonable and like an excellent encounter.
if they spot the new ones coming out they should be able to keep them from getting out of the pit/fight them while they're coming up from an advantageous position. much like dealing with a foe climbing castle walls, get them while they're climbing for easier pickings. how fast do they climb out of the pit? are they actually making climb checks, or is there a ramp or something out?

a more technical question about it which I wonder about, is how much CR that part of the encounter should be worth (and hence how much it adds to the total encounter CR). endless spawn is a strong effect, but with sufficiently weak stuff like that is, it's quite feasible to kill it faster than it spawns.

Metahuman1
2017-12-02, 07:32 PM
Well, the idea is that there's this pile of bones that goes way below there floor level and way above ceiling level. Like, you can see the top of the pile is near the ceiling of the top surface level floor of the dungeon. They don't so much make climb checks as ones at the edge pull together by magic to form complete skeletons with one of the four gear types mentioned in the OP for the minions, and then every five rounds after this starts, something notably more dangerous comes out.

That, is a good question actually. Anyone have any thoughts on it, cause I legitimately do not have an answer right now to that?