PDA

View Full Version : Non-Monk Unarmed Combatant?

Unoriginal
2017-12-02, 06:22 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any build (using the published books, not the UA) to make an unarmed combatant who's not completely outdone by a Monk?

The Monk being the best at unarmed combat is normal, it's their job, but I was just wondering if someone had other ideas for decent unarmed combatants.

Arkhios
2017-12-02, 06:30 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any build (using the published books, not the UA) to make an unarmed combatant who's not completely outdone by a Monk?

The Monk being the best at unarmed combat is normal, it's their job, but I was just wondering if someone had other ideas for decent unarmed combatants.

Battle Master Fighter with Tavern Brawler is pretty effective.

Surprisingly enough, Paladin with Tavern Brawler can be nasty as well. You can smite with Unarmed Strike, y'know.

I'm AFB, but I believe Berserker Barbarian might work too. Especially with Frenzy.

Lombra
2017-12-02, 06:31 AM
All I can think of is a fighter tavern brawler that focuses more on control and less on damage, or a barbarian of some sort.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-02, 09:34 AM
Monks aren't great grapples. Something like a Barbarian/Rogue with Expertise in Athletics and Tavern Brawler/Grappler can be scary.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-04, 02:45 PM
Barb with Tavern Brawler will hit hard, but not as often as the Monk however is it's much better at grappling.

I'd go Zealot, and use either a level of Rogue, or the Prodigy feat for Athletics expertise.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-04, 02:47 PM
Battlerager Barbarian with Tavern Brawler would probably work okay. At least you get the free bonus action attack to help up your damage.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-04, 06:09 PM
Lizardfolk barbarian optional tavern brawler.