PDA

View Full Version : Best low LA "large" race?

Overlard
2007-08-20, 07:37 AM
I'm considering a big fella for an upcoming campaign. It starts off in low levels, so a low LA is desirable, and a lack of racial hit dice virtually vital.

The class will be something melee-y but not necessarily a typical "Grug smash!" type character. I'm thinking of maybe a rogue with a couple of levels or fighter, or buck the trend and go for a duskblade (providing I don't get a minus to Int from the race). I know that given their need for light armour early in the game along with a large size and average-at-best HD, this might cause problems, but I like the idea of a hulking brute defying expectations. Whether it's power attacking with their huge strength and adding in a fistful of sneak attack for good measure, or screwing you over with a ray of enfeeblement before closing for the kill, it all looks fun. :smallbiggrin:

Goliath and half-giant have been recommended to me, with their bonuses to Str & Con, and their powerful build letting them act as large for most purposes, but that's just not big enough for me. :smalltongue:

I believe half-ogre is large isn't it? But I suspect that has a penalty to mental stats that the goliath & half-giant don't suffer, and has LA+2 rather than +1.

Anyone got any recommendations for large races?

Amiria
2007-08-20, 07:43 AM
Yes, Half Ogre is large, LA +2, with mental stats penalties. But you won't get large size with less then LA+2.

Minotaurs are also is large, LA +2, with mental stats penalties. But they also have 6 racial hit dice (monstrous humaniod). Those arne't too bad (d8 for hitpoints, full BAB, good reflex and will saves) for a melee build. Although I'd recommend some really powerful class like Warblade or Warhulk as an offset to the racial hit dice and LA then. Take feats like Large and in Charge or Awesome Blow.

Goliath barbarians become temporarily large during their rage if they take the 1st Goliath Barbarian racial substitution level.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-20, 07:54 AM
If you're wanting something like a 'Hulk Smash' Gish build, I'd honestly suggest PsiWar from the SRD, going into Slayer PrC. You get Expansion, which lets you increase your size category by one as a first level power.

So as a Half-Giant (LA +1), PsiWar1, at 2nd level, you could expand to Large size wielding a Huge weapon. Say you were wielding a Greatsword. Normally does 2d6, but yours is already Large making it 3d6, and Expansion brings it up to 4d6.

At higher levels, you can augment Expansion to increase you two size categories. This means you're now Huge, wielding a Gargantuan weapon doing 6d6 damage.

Plus bonus feats from PsiWar really help.

Overlard
2007-08-20, 08:10 AM
Yeah, psychic warrior was something I was looking at, but it's more "self-buffy" than blasty/sneaky, which is what I'm aiming for.

The vague inspiration for this character is actually Roy. He defies expectations by being a fighter with brains and charisma. I want a race with a class that seems out of place, possibly with stats to match.

Half-giant seems to fit the bill for me in everything but size. No loss to mental stats, some nice abilities and good racial flavour too. Duskblade is the class I'm keenest on right now, but if only there were some way to be permenantly large. :smallfrown:

TO_Incognito
2007-08-20, 08:20 AM
If you have access to a nigh-worthless book, the Tauren race from the old Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game is an excellent large +1 LA race, with no mental stat penalties.

Wulfram
2007-08-20, 08:21 AM
Centaurs are Large LA+2, 4 racial hit dice. -2 to Int, +2 to Wis, so not too bad mental stats. Racial hit dice have move silently as a class skill, which seems a bit weird for something with hooves, but handy if you want to be sneaky.

Perhaps not the right flavour though.

leperkhaun
2007-08-20, 08:24 AM
I think a goliath is considered large for all purposes but reach. Im not sure what all is entailed with "powerfull build". they are a +1 la

Zincorium
2007-08-20, 08:32 AM
I think a goliath is considered large for all purposes but reach. Im not sure what all is entailed with "powerfull build". they are a +1 la

Powerful build is a lot less general than most people think, here's the SRD entry on it:

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

And Goliath says exactly the same.

Person_Man
2007-08-20, 08:33 AM
Goliath is probably your best bet.

Here's a much different alternative: Lycanthrope or Entomanothrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) with a Large form. (I suggest an Entomanothrope Sword Spider). You build could be Cleric 7/ War Hulk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a) X (scroll down on the link to find the class).

This will allow you to switch back and forth between an unassuming normal form (whatever race you want) and your animal and hybrid form, which will be a death machine. Cast Divine Power for your hardest fights, and you'll gain full BAB. The trick is, you have to hold back on using your full combo unless you absolutely need it. Otherwise, your DM will never allow it.