PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lore Bard / Warlock Celestial dip - Dip a 3rd level?

TapDancingBard
2017-12-02, 09:53 AM
I recently started my first DnD campaign and I've been devouring information online in preparation. I'm playing a bard who's going towards Lore for very in-character reasons (he's obsessed with myths and storytelling) who got his powers after, ahem, a very delightful encounter with some kind of Celestial. Before I ever started looking at optimization guides I knew I'd want to multiclass into either Warlock Celestial or Divine Soul Sorcerer depending on how the story went upon my character learning more about his plot hooks (his Elf father and the Celestial lover both disappeared). Now I'm sure that I want to dip into Warlock Celestial, probably making some kind of pact with the Celestial lover once he's reunited with her - it seems like it would be a lot of fun to roleplay.

Once that day comes, I'm wondering if I should do the standard 2-level Warlock dip for Agonizing Blast, or go for a third level to get Pact of the Familiar and have a little cherub follow me around for fun. I know that would mean I'd lose out on Bard 18's Magical Secrets and Wish, but I can't imagine the campaign lasting all the way to level 20. My group can meet once every 3-5 weeks and at least two players are contemplating moving away within the next few years. I really think having a familiar for my character would be cute, but I'm concerned that it would lead to being badly underpowered once I get there.

So my question is, if I take a 3rd level of Warlock for my Lore Bard's dip, will I be so underpowered that it would counteract the fun of roleplaying with a Celestial familiar? I'm assuming the campaign would end somewhere around levels 10-14.

Unoriginal
2017-12-02, 09:59 AM
Well, which statblock would you use for the familiar?

I sincerely doubt choosing the familiar would make you underpowered, and especially if you don't go above lvl 16.

Also, for the familiar's appearance, personally I would go for a little old clerk with big glasses and always taking notes. Or maybe a mini-Lillend .

Callin
2017-12-02, 10:10 AM
If its just for fun then just go Warlock 2 and get the Find Familiar Ritual either through Bard Secrets or Magic Initiate and refluff a stat block to how you want it to look and act. More options have opened up since the Spell was first released.

Unoriginal
2017-12-02, 10:15 AM
If its just for fun then just go Warlock 2 and get the Find Familiar Ritual either through Bard Secrets or Magic Initiate and refluff a stat block to how you want it to look and act. More options have opened up since the Spell was first released.

This is also true, you don't necessarily need an advanced familiar.