PDA

View Full Version : [Build Request] Fey Knight Paladin/Warlock

InebriatedPike
2017-12-02, 10:56 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm new to dnd and am trying to build this character for myself. I'm thinking oath of the ancients Paladin 7(or 6)/Fey pact Warlock 13(or 14) and am just wondering if thats a viable combination? I keep seeing people saying that it is a very thematically appropriate combination, but no one has posted a solid build with skill selections/stats/spell selections! I would do all of that myself, but I have no idea what is gimp/good in the game and don't want to make a great RP character who is useless to my party in combat. I'd also like to go bladelock if at all possible, but chainlock would also be cool I think! Help a noob out!

Theodoxus
2017-12-02, 11:23 AM
The first character I thought up of was this exact one. Still, after 3 years, haven't had an opportunity to actually play it.

My idea was to go staff and shield, and RP using the staff as a bow, shooting 'force arrows' (eldritch blast) for ranged, and switching to a "S&B" style when in melee.

With shillelagh grabbed from Tome, he won't need a magic weapon, can use CHA for attacking both in melee and ranged and basically is the embodiment of the Fey.

A half-elf with High Elf ancestry for an extra cantrip (if desired) rounds out the build nicely with all the right attribute bonuses.

rbstr
2017-12-02, 11:42 AM
First thing: It's hard to really screw up a character unless you do stuff that really conflicts like needing multiple high attributes that don't synergize or picking a way of fighting and not giving it support from class features or whatever.
So...build the character you want to play, rather than a bag of "optimal" mechanics.

I've been playing one of these that's at level 8 now: 5 paladin, 3 warlock (though she's actually switched to the Celestial patron since it fits the character better, she was played to this point as Fey). Warlock works great with Paladin.
You need to think about what kind of character it's going to be to really build one. You want to go sword and shield? Greatweapon? Polearm? What kinds of magic do you want to sling? You won't really have much in the way of big blasty spells but Warlock has some. Fey gives you more tricky/sneaky stuff on top of the regular warlock stuff.
Mine is a great-sword wielding tank-type that pretty much only uses Armor of Agathys or Mirror image as spells in combat, sometimes bless or moonbeam depending on the kinds of enemies and setup time. The rest of the slots are pretty much for smiting or situational use. She went blade pact at level 3 and took the Improved Pact weapon invocation for the sweet +1 weapon.

Things I would do:
Look at the paladin and warlock guides linked to in the sticky thread.
You want high strength and charisma
Start in Paladin so you get heavy armor proficiency.
Prioritize Paladin 5 or Warlock 5 (if you go blade pact) quickly. This will give you Extra Attack which is really good.
Get to Paladin 7 fairly fast. Paladin 6 is great for the aura. Ancients paladin 7 is even better for resistance to magic damage!

Unoriginal
2017-12-02, 11:45 AM
Is there a reason in particular you want more Warlock levels than Paladin's?

InebriatedPike
2017-12-02, 12:07 PM
Unoriginal, no reason, I just saw that most multiclasses with paladin tend to jump off at 6/7 for caster levels in the multiclass.

rbstr, I'm thinking sword and shield to capture the knightly feel I'm going for in this build. And as far as what kind of spells, I am thinking I would like to be able to lay some big hits which I hear is good with smite, but also I love things like find steed, talk with beasts, and stuff like that for flavor and also utility. Sometimes its nice to not have to murder every NPC in an encounter hahah

Arkhios
2017-12-02, 01:04 PM
Is there a reason in particular you want more Warlock levels than Paladin's?

Unoriginal, no reason, I just saw that most multiclasses with paladin tend to jump off at 6/7 for caster levels in the multiclass.

I'd argue that paladin 11/warlock 9 is better split than paladin 6/7 -> Warlock X.

Warlock's spell slot level caps at 5th level at 9th warlock level, and Improved Divine Smite (@paladin 11) is imho better than the bladelock's invocation, because extra dice are multiplied on critical hits while static bonuses to damage are not.

Plus, 3rd-level paladin spells (not just spell slots) are awesome!

Although, Paladin 13/Warlock 7 is arguably even better, because that way you get 4th level spells and spell slots from both classes, and Divine Smite caps at 4th level spell slots.

InebriatedPike
2017-12-02, 01:11 PM
I'd argue that paladin 11/warlock 9 is better split than paladin 6/7 -> Warlock X.

Warlock's spell slot level caps at 5th level at 9th warlock level, and Improved Divine Smite (@paladin 11) is imho better than the bladelock's invocation, because extra dice are multiplied on critical hits while static bonuses to damage are not.

Plus, 3rd-level paladin spells (not just spell slots) are awesome!

Although, Paladin 13/Warlock 7 is arguably even better, because that way you get 4th level spells and spell slots from both classes, and Divine Smite caps at 4th level spell slots.

I'm starting off at level 3, how do you think I should level up? go all pally then switch into warlock?

Arkhios
2017-12-02, 01:36 PM
I'm starting off at level 3, how do you think I should level up? go all pally then switch into warlock?

Get pally to 7 at the very least, though it might be best to go to 9 and then split for 7 levels into warlock, and then back, continuing as you please.

rbstr
2017-12-02, 02:27 PM
Starting at level 3 it's probably "best" to take paladin to 7.
But, really, if you want warlock flavor sooner you can take maybe one level of warlock in before paldin5 and maybe another couple before paladin7. Just try to do it in chunks where you get one of the big things before you go back to the other.

I don't really disagree, however, while the slot level caps but you get the 3rd slot at level 11 along with a 6th level spell. Also the level 10 patron feature and an invocation and cantrip. There's a lot of power in going to from 8 to 12 in either class, mostly depends on how you want to act.

Certainly, if you mostly want to melee and smite and otherwise use spells for mostly utility going past level 4 spells in warlock isn't worth as much.