PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to this mix'n'match fighting style choice? (Or "How to Duel Wield")

nirurin
2017-12-02, 04:52 PM
My character plan doesn't really fit a bit shield, I'd prefer a dagger or hand crossbow or similar, but the issue I have is that pure Two Weapon Fighting (using the style and two weapons) doesn't seem to really work in 5e except for very specific classes. Paladin and rogue basically, but my character is either Warlock or Swords Bard/Warlock.

My thoughts being -

Character with a 1-handed weapon (rapier or longsword)
Free off-hand for spellcasting
Duelling fighting style for +2 damage normally

On the turns where I have bonus actions to use, my hand is free to do them. And I get +2 damage on my sword attacks.

On the turns I dont have a use for bonus action, I can draw a dagger or hand crossbow to do some damage with (which -should- be slightly better than the loss of the +2 damage from duelling). This would be especially true if my previous turn with only 1 weapon I also cast something like Hex.

Does this make sense? And more importantly, would it actually be workable/useful/any good? Trying my best to make duel wielding an option without it just being constantly worse than every other option.

Lolzyking
2017-12-02, 04:58 PM
Why not Defensive and two weapon, they stack, even with light armor

nirurin
2017-12-02, 05:11 PM
Why not Defensive and two weapon, they stack, even with light armor

Well the plan I had in the OP only uses one fighting style, Duelling. I could pick Defensive, and still just use a weapon in each hand, as it would offset my loss of a shield a little, but it would mean I'd never get any attack bonus (even when I can't use my offhand weapon).

Duel Wielding should not be this hard to make effective lol.